Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ion Bond?

firematt100

I just got this back the other day. Ryan warned me it might take a while since it is an oddball color, and he was right Just over 10 weeks. I've got it posted in the Firebird section of the forum and I'll keep posting there as the build progresses. I'd like to hear feedback on what you guys think of my bronze Firebird.

post-11166-1230361795_thumb.jpg

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really a fan of the two-tone look. I like all one color, and I really like the all black look. But the more subdued look is nicer than the chrome/blued look.

I'd be curious to see how this stuff holds up after 25,000 rounds ..... or 50,000 rds. Normal bluing wears down/off from use. I wonder if this stuff will gradually wear or eventually flake off. I had a friend who had his open gun TiN'd and although the gun was beautiful it eventually started to flake off the breechface & caused his gun to jam, which we all know is unacceptable. I'd take a rusty gun that ran like a top over a safe-queen any day. ;)

We think it was the extreme pressure that open guns run at that caused the premature finish wear. Maybe it would be ok to do to Limited guns ? :huh:

J-Ho,

It might be better to take a picture with some color contrast...maybe with a silver mag tube and a black holster or something:-)

Looks nice...

RLTW,

Scott

Oh don't worry. Everything else is going to be black. Some of the little bits are already on it, I just haven't taken a pic yet. The black on the matte bronze looks better than I thought it was going to. I'll post more on the Firebird thread.

Okay Guys help me out here, -

-I send the gun to a rep for ION bond her then sends it on to them ? or He has the equipment and he does it in shop?

- what colors are available?

-is there anybody on the east coast doing this ?

Thanks Lee

call Ryan Flynn 336 665 0005

He's the IonBond gunsmith. He'll be able to answer all your question. Colors are kind of limited.

Yea, what Scott Springer of Springer Precision (forum dealer and great supporter of our sport) said! Great turn around and attention to detail. My AR and Benelli just got done and I love it. I am off to the Shot Show (Driving) so as soon as I get back I will post some more pictures. Or just stop by our booth and see my Pistol, JP AR-15 and our Sagia which all just got done!

Thank again Scott for the great job!

Sincerely,

RLTW,

Scott Hawkins

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'd be curious to see how this stuff holds up after 25,000 rounds ..... or 50,000 rds. Nor

Anybody got some really high count guns yet? I really want a black gun as well but if it wears off or even worse flakes off I'll just get my guns chromed.

Well I do not have 25,000 rounds thru my caspian (yet) but I have had it in service as my main pistol for almost a year and about 5,000 rounds and I can't say how many untold holster presentations. It has absolutely no sign of highpoint wear from holstering in a kydex holster. Additionaly the bbl hood and the bushing end of the bbl that always seem to show some scuffing are still as black and blemish free as the day it came back from IONBOND. so far I am extremely impressed and happy with the finish.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I had to put this onto the BE Ion-Bond list. This is my Edge in 9mm I use for 3 gun and I asked Scott Springer to put a little color into the job before he sent it back...Now this is different for sure. RJ of RJ Customs did the Comet cuts (hence Scott put the comet colors), holes in the slide and racing stripes in the frame...I like how Scott makes the Dura Coat colors work!

Enjoy,

post-11094-1237084207_thumb.jpg

post-11094-1237084213_thumb.jpg

post-11094-1237084219_thumb.jpg

Has anybody tried or can they apply IonBond to bead blasted aluminum??

They can but I REALLY suggest hard anodizing before hand.

Ryan told me that hard anodize is a no go. He said IonBond will only work on raw aluminum.

CSE,

RJ Customs does a great job, he got done with my .40 and with a little different twist. He put the Comets on the frame/dust cover and after the flat-top on the slide he put 4 holes on the raidus of both sides of the slide. Almost broken in and ready to send to Scott Springer for another one of his fabulous Ion-Bond coats.

Ok, pictures are a lot better for sure:-)

post-11094-1237087841_thumb.jpg

post-11094-1237087847_thumb.jpg

post-11094-1237087855_thumb.jpg

I just spoke to Ryan Flynn about sending in a gun to be finished. ION Bond no longer accepts firearms unless it goes through an FFL holder that has an account or is willing to set one up. All billing must go through the FFL holder. I was really looking forward to getting my shotgun ION Bonded. Guess I will have to find another type of finish.

Has anybody tried or can they apply IonBond to bead blasted aluminum??

Yes, but we've got pictures of Bead Blasted Titanium...

MDIonBond.jpg

Slide is blued and Frame Assembly went to IonBond for their DLC. Our customer loves it and says the finish is very tough.

I just spoke to Ryan Flynn about sending in a gun to be finished. ION Bond no longer accepts firearms unless it goes through an FFL holder that has an account or is willing to set one up. All billing must go through the FFL holder. I was really looking forward to getting my shotgun ION Bonded. Guess I will have to find another type of finish.

Or you could send it to one of their dealers that offer this service. We are not offering the DLC on shotguns but I know that BE Forum Dealer Springer Precision is.

I just had my Benelli done and it came out great, I will post pictures soon. May as well since I can't shoot for at least another 2 months! Scott does great work and is pretty fast. Of course now that I say that he will get swamped! We could only hope for Scott Springer!

RLTW,

Scott Hawkins

I had my pistols and my 1100 Ionbonded...Awesome job!! My pistols have never been so smooth and the shotgun had a few malfunctions at first (due to a tighter fit, I think) but now runs as well as an 1100 can!! :) I LOVE it!!

Cheryl :)

I had my pistols and my 1100 Ionbonded...Awesome job!! My pistols have never been so smooth and the shotgun had a few malfunctions at first (due to a tighter fit, I think) but now runs as well as an 1100 can!! :) I LOVE it!!

Cheryl :)

My 1911 (at the top of the page) had a few hiccups when I first got it back. I had feed issues for the first time ever, with the rounds hitting the ramp and stopping rather than nosing up into the chamber. That issue quickly resolved and I think can be blamed on oil absorption. The coating soaked up my first few oilings but eventually saturated. Now it runs without error and I absolutely love the coating.