Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whatdayathink?

benos

Maybe this forum could help separate questions regarding basic operation, function, assembly, troubleshooting, etc., from questions dealing with actually hacking on or in someway mechanically altering your favorite blaster?

be

Great idea Brian!  Maybe the forum can bring a little respectibility to the high art of "hacking on your favorite blaster". This has always been a favorite pastime of mine, but some of my buddies seem to think my gun is UGLY.     (Imagine that:)    I look forward to more excellent advice from the not-so-timid.    GENTLEMEN, START YOU DREMELS!

Excellent,

Why even own a gun if you don't want to hack it.  The first match (ipsc) that I shot, was with a home-made holster, and my 1911 was my test bed for metal checkering.  I had soldered an extension on my safety, and used a hand file to install low mount bomar sights.  It really was crappy looking, but thanks to a bar-sto bbl, it shot very  good.   I can't wait for all the hacks to come out of the woodwork.  Remember.....if you haven't ever broken, or ruined a part of your gun, you aren't experimenting enough.  

Phil, No worries mate!   A angle grinders are just open class Dremel tools.  Keep that face shield handy!  

The day I finally cracked and became my own 'smith, I returned to the local gunshop with my Springfield .45 in hand to have the front sight re-attached.  The 'smith had charged me about 75 bucks to install a dual-crimp front sight that was "guaranteed to never shoot lose".   I walked in and laid it on the counter two months later.  He looked it over and said with disbelief  "I've never seen one of those come loose,  you must have shot 5,000 rounds to do that!".    "Uh..... yeah...... that'd be about right",  I told him.    

I went home and stick welded it from the inside, filed it back down so the bushing would fit, and re-blued it.   That sight stayed on till I cut a cross dove tail in the slide a few years later.

Today, I can even make a gun pretty.  But, not my main competition blaster.  I keep it in a state of "creation".   I like the new guys to know that it's possible to win without sending somebody else's kid to medical school.   :)

Sounds like we're in the same place Bonedaddy.

Someone actually described my lovely pistol as an ugly POS only this weekend, which I find hard to accept since my daughters beautified it with stars and smiley faces. I rejected their barbie sticker idea, at least until I discover myself!

Novices no longer seak my advice, which I think is a shame, but generally the gun works and from time to time wins.

Julian, would love to race, but it wouldn't be fair seeing I'm in open div.:)

Phil, we are definately in the same place.  I remember two comments people made about my gun.   One well known shooter I was squadded with at the Handgunner WSO in 2000 looked it over and remarked, " Crude...... but effective".    Another gent I shot with for the first time said, "Your gun looks like hell, but you shoot it like a wild man".   I enjoyed both comments immensely.