Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help on thumb safety

Chapman

Guys,

I just installed an Ed Brown tactical thumb safety on my 1911. But I notice that the thumb safety can be engaged halfway with an audible click eventhough the hammer is not cocked. Anybody have an idea so that the thumb safety won't go up if the hammer is down? Please guys I need your help.

Hello Chapman and WELCOME to the forum!!!!  If the action you describe is the only problem you're having, I'm thinkin' you're probably OK with the safety.  The safety sear stop surface cams up to engage the lower part of the sear and prevent movement when the gun is cocked.  If the gun isn't cocked, you can still hear a click on some guns because the safety is hitting against the bottom edge of the sear, instead of engaging it on the flat.

There is a detent on the front of the safety lever that helps hold it in the down position, with a little help from it's friend, the safety lock plunger.   In some cases the detent may need to be deepened a little to help hold the lever down.  But basically, I only worry about the safety working when the gun is cocked.  Then it has to work perfectly or there is just no end to the mischief you can get into.  :)   Be careful!  If you have any doubts at all, get thee to a gunnery.   -Sam

Kyle, you're scaring me!   Forget all about the concept of a thumb safety, OK?  It's not for use on microwavable, dishwasher safe firearms.

I get this terrible mental image of a tactical tupperware technician, in a fit of John Browning envy, trying activate the safety with his thumb and ending up with the muzzle of his prized plastic pistol pointed precariously at his pompadour.    

;)    -Sam

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/cavy.gif

Who knows?  Maybe JMB failed as an interior decorator and then became a prolific gun desiginer. (stranger things have happened)  Anyway, I can't keep bustin' your chops about the Glocks, 'cause my STI is half plastic too, hehe!  :)

I know this is not really any sort of answer, but it seems that thumb safety's are quite a bit harder to fit these days than they used to be. In the past 5 or 6 years, it seems I've ground, filed and "detented" on them for way more hours than I care to remember.

be