Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Loyal Friend Of 15 Plus Years Died

Pierruiggi

A warning, first. If you love animals, this will depress you. If you don't like animals, go to hell and don't reply.

My cat died today. She was nearly 16 years old. She got bit by one of my own dogs on saturday and had her jaw broken and dislocated. Her front right paw was dislocated at the wrist too.

I was out all day on saturday and when I returned home my granma told me about the attack (happened around noon) and told me Gato (the cat) had gone and couldn't find her (my grandma has mobility problems). I went away again and came home at 4AM. I heard noises in a furniture where I kep my shoes and I found her and saw the seriousness of her wounds.

I called 2 pet hospitals right away but they told me that I had to take the cat there, but they wouldn't rent me a cage. I didn't want to risk calling a taxi and have Gato freak out in there, so I kept calling. I called a friend and she recommended me a clinic, called them too and they offered to come to my house in a taxi (God bless them). A veterinarian came, saw Gato and told me she needed to be admitted in the clinic.

I went to the clinic yesterday and they already have taken x rays of Gato ald informed me of the severity of her situation. They told me she neded surgery to fix her jaw and that there was a chance she may not wake up from the anesthesia, due to her age. They even told me, without knowing me, that I could pay them in several months, since the operation and post treatment would cost roughly more than a third of my monthly paycheck. Once again God bless them.

Gato already had an IV bag with nutrients (she couldn't feed) and sedatives, but was in a good mood. The poor creature started purring at me when she saw me, and at least I could pet her for a while.

She had surgery today. And she didn't wake up. She had lung failure and the vets put her on oxygen; she fought hard to live, and started breathing again. They called me at work telling me she was on a respirator and I went right away. But I didn't get there on time, she went into cardiac arrest and died before I got there. Her little body was still warm.

Since I was in third grade, this cat has been my loyal uncompromising friend. I will forever miss her purring and different meows she had, I'll miss her waking me up by climbing on top of me, I'll miss the cranky cussing I made when she asked me come in at 2AM on a working day; I'll miss that obnoxious loud sounds she made when she cleaned herself. I'll miss how noble she was, that even in the tremendous amount of pain she must have felt in the last 2 days, she never complained and only purred at me. I don't remember crying this much since I was a kid.

I can't describe how I'll miss her.

Sorry for being depressing, but I needed to write it down.

Omar, I'm so sorry for your loss :( It was courageous to attempt the surgery to save her. Remember the good times, and that you did everything you could to make your friend comfortable - and you gave her a good home for a long lifetime.

My God, I'm so sorry about your cat...! I've had lots of spunky cats and really regretted that their lives were sometimes just too short. Cats and dogs both can become truly "loved ones" in our lives.

Take care.

:( pets, teach us to be better humans

Sooo true. A good pet asks so little, but gives so much. Sounds like you had one of the best. Sorry for your loss...

After my Dog of 15 years died at the vets I recieved a card from the animal hospital with the following on the front.

"Grieve not, nor speak of me with tears, but laugh and talk of me as if I were beside you.

I loved you so...

Twas heaven here with you.

-Isla Paschal Richardson-

I know the pain!!!

I'm sorry for your loss. I don't look forward to the day when our "fat boy" goes on to the happy hunting grounds.. He's nearly 16 now and my wife has had him his entire life, it's going to be hard for me but doubly so for my wife since she's had him since he was a kitten. I came along later..

Vince

I'm not much of a cat lover myself, even though I have had 3 cats of my own. Your words brought tears while I read them. Very sad ... and yet, even miles away, I can hear the love you had for your Gato. So sorry for your loss.

Many nice comments above, but the one I like the most is this one:

After my Dog of 15 years died at the vets I recieved a card from the animal hospital with the following on the front.

"Grieve not, nor speak of me with tears, but laugh and talk of me as if I were beside you.

I loved you so... Twas heaven here with you.

As a youngster I was told cats and dogs do not go to Heaven when they die because they do not have souls the same as mortal men do ....... I pray that this is not true.

Pets show unconditional love to us "mere mortals" without asking anything in return. Just craving our companionship.

If you ask me, that's a display of both HEART & SOUL. :)

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

Omar - amigo--

Please accept my deepest condolences. I have not experienced anything more difficult, so far in my life, than the loss of my best friend. With time, one moves on. But, I still smile -- and almost cry -- every single time I think of Indy. God bless,

-br

Thank you very much to all of you for your support. It helps to know that there are people that feel the same way about their pets as I do. They truly become family members.

Also, I concur that the love an animal can show is proof of heart and soul.

Edited by Pierruiggi

God has blessed you with Gato, and will continue to do so with your great memories for your friend.

I too had to have my friend of 13 years euthanized due to Cancer. I still miss him and have not been hunting since (he was a hound and I bought him when he was 6 weeks old) other than a few times with a decendant of his.

Pets are something else! :wub:

May your pain and sorrow fade quickly, and memories never fade.

Hopalong