Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Primer Hits

paraman1

I had a 15# mainspring put in my Springfield Operator and am now having some problems with light primer hits . Will a Limcat extra length firing pin help with this problem or am I going to have to use Federal (Read , more expensive) primers ?

(Edited by paraman1 at 8:58 pm on Jan. 4, 2003)

I might be missing something, but a long disconnector seems to not be a good answer to this problem.   Stock mainspring is 19 lb. or so on colt 1911 in 45                                                                          wilson spring Im sure is 17 lb. (and works great in 45 )                     . Travis F.

(Edited by TBF at 11:06 am on Jan. 7, 2003)

"How will a long disconnector help this problem"

I had the same problem, the trigger setup was wrong and the hammer would drop on halfcock.  The firing pin was long enough to mark the primers but no "boom"  My gunsmith changed the disconnector, in fact did a whole new trigger job.  I love my gun once again!

If you don't get light hit's on every round you may have to look at something else besides very heavy main springs.  It's probably the trigger setup.

I found the best thing to do was experiment.  Why you ask?  I screwed it up so bad I HAD to send it to a professional ;)

Works every time

Cheers

Quigley

Paraman,

In all 4 of my 1911 type guns I run  a 17lb mainspring, Limcat Firing pin & Wolffe firingpin spring without problems.

Now, to state the obvious but often overlooked-

Make sure that you clean out the firing pin hole in the slide. It does get stuff in there and that debris can cause light hits too.

(Edited by warpspeed at 11:44 am on Jan. 12, 2003)

Warpspeed might be ontrack with the obvious, while you're checking the firing pin hole look closely at the firing pin spring. A small part of the spring, like half of a circle, can break off and stick on the firing pin. This little piece will wedge the firing pin slowing the strike.  I've seen this a few times and you have to pull the spring off the firing pin and look real close.

I had problems with ocassional light hits and the gunsmith for the distibutor suggested it could be because my high IPSC grip (thumb over the slide safety) was not fully dis-engaging the grip safety. I taped the grip safety down and the problem dis-appeared.

George,

I could certainly stand to be educated if I'm wrong, but I don't see how the grip safety, and your grip thereon, could cause that problem. All the grip safety does is block the trigger from being pulled to the rear, far enough to trip the sear, unless it's depressed.

Duane,

My knowledge of the mechanics of the S&W M945 is next to zero, but I was very sceptical when the gunsmith at the local S&W distributor suggested this as a possible cause of the problem. The gun was new and had fired only 1200 rounds, with maybe 20 light hits. Since I taped down the grip safety I've fired about another 1200 rounds without a light hit. It doesn't make sense to me but he was quite vehement in his suggestion, and the problem hasn't returned.

I'm a complete novice on autos and would greatly appreciate any advice and opinion on alternative causes for this problem. They may relate sufficiently to paraman 1's problem as to not create too much thread drift.

(Edited by George D at 9:30 am on Jan. 16, 2003)

Switching to Federal primers has fixed the problem . I am going to switch out the firing pin for either a longer one or a steel one (has titanium) and see if that will light off the Winchester primers reliably.

FWIW

I had a similar problem with my SV open gun light hits and Win. primers. I couldn't afford to scrap 25000 primers and buy Feds, so I tried new mainspring etc. The XL pin was the only thing to make it work 100%.

Also, the XL pin willcause pistol primers to rupture in my Super.

RD