Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

changing grips on STI gun

shooterx10

No, No, you can do it.  First take the slide off the gun.  Then find the correct size allen wrench thet fits the side screw (top screws only).  Remove the screws.  Now if you look from the top of the frame you will see two small bushings, one in each hole the screws came out of.  I use a Large allen wrench and tap these out from the outside in.  Now remove the two small screws from the front of the grip.  One is male the other female and may need some pressure to get out.  Now that you have the screws out take the safety's off, remove the beavertail, remove the mainspring housing, remove sear spring.  Now be very careful and slide the grip off the frame.  DO NOT Put to much stress on the grip frame as I have seen them crack by just removing it. Hope this helps.

1. Remove the slide, thumb safety, mainspring housing, beavertail, sear, disconnector, sear spring and hammer first before starting to remove the grip.

2. Remove the grip screws

3. The small screws forward of the trigger guard are actually two identical male screws with a female/female bushing between them.  It is best if you use two 'perfect' allen wrenches (on in each screw) to remove these screws.  If you bugger up one of the heads, then you will have to drill the head off to remove the grip and then replace the screws and the bushing.

4. Do NOT try to beat or pry the grip off of the frame.  It is best to rock the grip off the frame:  grasp the grip in your strong hand as if you were shooting and the dustcover in your weak hand.  Then gently rock the grip off of the frame.

good luck and have fun

When I had my gun built I took an APS grip with me to be put on and it took some work to get it done right.  The smith even had to do some adjusting on the leaf spring.  I dont think any of the holes lined up either.  So it may be more work than you think.

Sometimes the grip from one SV or STI will not fit right up on the other...so not completely interchangeable..You also need to take some care in realigning the bushing with the screws as the will rotate when re-screwing in the gripscrews . I have had good luck using a nylon rod (1 1/2) diameter and gently tapping the dust cover and grip safety area of the frame while holding the plastic grip to get it off..actually I have also beat the crap out of it too when I forgot to take the trigger guard screws out..

• 3 weeks later...

You can do it very easy.  Do like I did and just start taking stuff apart.  theres the 2 allen head screws on top of the grip on both sidesand the trigger guard screw (that small one forward of the trigger guard)  And that's it.  Don't force the grip or there is the remote possiblility it might crack, just kinda wiggle it if you've never had it off. But it will come off