Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gene Shuey, AGI gunsmith

shooterx10

I've seen Mr. Shuey's AGI Building a High Capacity 1911 video and even met him at a Reno gun show.  He's a very nice guy and his work on raceguns is outstanding.

Has anyone used him before?  I'm seriously thinking of sending a STI Open to him for hard chroming and as well as maintenance/reliability work.

I used to use Gene as my smith.  He does good work, but it does take forever and you will probably go through about 3 or 4 delivery dates before you finally get the gun.  If you do go with him, be sure to get a written quote when you agree on the price.  He didn't give me one on my gun, and after 3 missed delivery dates, I termited the job and got my deposit back.  If you are in the Reno area, try Jonny Lim.  His shop is over on North Edison, off of Mill.  He deliverd my limited gun on the day agreed, and has backed up his work 100% with while I waited service.  If you have any more questions, please feel free to e-mail me.  

I met Gene at a Reno gunshow. He performed a quick repair for me, no charge. Well, I bought him a cup of coffee. Great marketing!

He said he mixes small jobs into the big ones, so you do not have to wait 6 months for a simple reliability checkup/repair. So the small jobs come out in a few weeks. I suspect if you need a repair before a big match he will be sensitive to that.

A local shooter (USPSA member since the 80's) has had problems getting Gene to complete work on time, then the work was not done right, and he is still waiting. So Austin's experience is not unique.

I am not in the Reno area exactly; I am still looking for a good 1911 smith in northern California.

Lee

I did not ask age, and I am a bad guesser. But if the gent I met is late 60's, he is in great shape, because he looks younger. So, it could be him.  

Lately I have known some 80+ year olds who look younger than my grandfather did at 65.

Lee

I met Gene in the last 60s when he and Ray Chapman, both members of the Southwest Combat Pistol League, came to Hartford, Connecticut, to assist our kick-off of the Northeast Combat Pistol League.  Gene and Ray were [more than likely still are] outstanding shootists.  Working at Colt I had picked up a Gold Medal when they were retailing for $125.00 and Gene used his India Stone one evening while there to put an action on that pistol that was absolute perfection.  Gene came to dinner we BBQ'd steaks.

Back in California, Gene was a good friend of, and avid visitor to the shop of Armand Swenson.  I know Gene learned many tricks of the trade from Armand.

It has been about thirty-five since I have seen or conversed with Gene Shuey and this thread brought back some good memories.

I think it was a few months ago I saw that Jeff Cooper in his Guns & Ammo section mentioned Gene's favorable action work.  Personally I wouldn't hesitate in having Gene work on any pistol I own.

Having said that, I must admit that residing in the vacinity of Doylestown, Pennsylvania, my pistols have been receiving the work of George Smith and company at Evolution Gun Works (EGW).  I have found EGW's work to be excellent and their honesty and dedication to pleasing their customers beyond reproach.

Pete

I've seen tape 1 one of Gene's "Building the ultimate 1911/Limited gun" tapes.  He's obviously no actor and the editing and production quality is somewhat rough, but the content is there and he speaks clearly enough about what he's doing to follow along and understand.

I too knew Gene and shot with him in the Houston area in the late 70's.  He was, as I understand, the only person able to waltz un announced into Armond Swensonson's shop.  He gave me many tips on doing custon 1911 work when I was around him, and had tricks that I still don't see today when it comes to bbl installation.  He was probably imbarrassed to see me shooting my hacked 1911, and thus wanted me to at least do an acceptable job.  He is also an excellent engraver, and I suspect  that if his work comes a little late, it is probably flawless.

Mike Moore