Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

modified

mikeg

What would be the best setup or configuration for a Modified division pistol.  I think it is a growth division in ipsc.  Here in the Philippines almost 60% of the competitors shoot standard and only 10% or less shoot modified.  Where can you learn the most, shooting a standard gun or modified.  

I now shoot production using glock 19 and I feel it is time to change and join a different division.  I think it would be easier for me to progress in modified because there are lesser number for competitor.  Any views.

mikeg, where do you shoot?  I'm a regular in Armscor and just finished a clubshoot today.  I, too, started with my G19. But since I got a good deal in a 1911 singlestack, I've been using it more.  Personally, if money is no object I'd go straight to open so I don't have to worry about capacity and box restrictions. I suggest you don't equate your progress with the people you beat in a division. Focus instead on how much you can see when you run a course or everytime you make a shot. If you can do this consistenly, you'd be way ahead of us in any division or with any gun you use. Be safe.

BTW, welcome to the forum. Stick around, this site offers tons of info in competition shooting straight from the people who are masters in this sport.

(Edited by mcoliver at 3:33 am on Jan. 26, 2003)

I think Patrick Sweeney is the guy that can answer to your question.

For myself, I choosed a "classic" set up for a modified gun : Long Frame re-cut, classic slide lightened a bit and Hybrid commander barrel with Allchin Optima mount.

Everything that fits the box.

DVC

Julien

mcoliver, that is the beauty of the sport,  progress is really measured by your individual merits. The more you learn the better you get in the sport  But it is a boost in your moral if you can bring home some trophies. ( he he he). I am from batangas city.  personally I don't want a open pistol it is much to bulky.  I am just playing around with the idea of getting a modified gun or a standard pistol.

julien, what is your opinion on a slide mounted optima/doctor sights.  I was thinking that you can fit two topends one for a standard division and the other for modified.  Will this idea work?

Thanks

mikeg

Hello, I had Bennie Hill build a seperate top end for a SV pistol a few years ago useing a slide mounted optima, 40 open gun. Not a bad set up but does have draw backs, the optics moving with the slide can break your focus, not often but can happen, and the field of view is just not as good as a cmore. It does make the change back to iron sighted gun easy. I was worried  about the beating the optics would take but that was'nt a problem. Just really not as good as a super with a cmore. Might be the ticket in modified. Take a look at the modified pistol on the SV site, might give you some ideas.                                        Good shooting