Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV Tri-Glide

Mistral404

I was installing the SV Tri-Glide system in my STI Trojan the other night.  Everything was going along as expected.  When it cam to the sear spring, the bottom had a rather large radius curve instead of a short radius right angle.  As a result, the sear spring was way too long to fit.  

When the spring was put in a vise to I bend it, I found out how nicely it snaps.  Yep, snapped that little guy in two.

Has anybody experienced this before?

SV was up to their typical standard of customer service, before the explanation of how it snapped was presented, they responded with send it in and we will send you a new one!

Same thing happended to me on my Para. I suppose I should have groung the excess off the short leg to perhaps make the large radius work, but then again, isn't it supposed to fit????

Makes me wary of all the hype of some of these super parts....

Bob.

Yes, the "super-trick" stuff may require a little more care or experience to install than your average, run-of-the-mill stuff. But it performs sooo much better (it won't take a "set," and provides a lighter feel along with a more positive action) than your standard spring - if your serious, it's worth it. Being titanium, the SVI spring is the trickest spring there is; however, you can't just start bending on titanium or it will break. (Which is what makes it the perfect material for a "light-weight, flat" spring application.) And it is extremely difficult to make, which is why no one except Sandy Strayer has even attempted to make the part, let alone sell it to the public on a mass scale.

Maybe besides the generic note (that typically accompanies most custom-fit parts) stating to have the part installed by a competent gunsmith, that particular part might benefit if it a note was included with specific instructions - stating the reason that part is sometimes slightly oversize, and why it requires fitting at the bottom bend. Additionally, it might state that under no circumstances should you attempt to bend the part; instead trim it down with a belt sander (600-grit) or a fine file to fit.

be

Thanks BE,

I have some free time yesterday and called SV.  The woman who answered the phone was very courteous, knowledgable and helpful.

She recommended grinding down the spring until it fits correctly, hence the long radius curve is best suited for modifying the spring for a custom fit.

As a side note: The grip safety is no longer operational.  The rear of the trigger shoe has a cut out.  The notch reduces the width of the shoe by about .02 which is enough for the grip safety to miss the trigger shoe.  

I know a lot of people pin their mainspring housing to raise the grip safety so it will miss the rear of the trigger shoe but the cutout accomplishes this rather nicely.