Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slow Mo Video Of A Revolver Kaboom

Hog Sniper

Something isnt quite right with that clip.

First of all the gun looks empty.

The top strap looks as though it is already bent before the kaboom, and it doesnt look like the hammer ever falls.

It looks like it was blown up intentionally for the video by another means other than a hot cartridge.

Something isnt quite right with that clip.

First of all the gun looks empty.

The top strap looks as though it is already bent before the kaboom, and it doesnt look like the hammer ever falls.

It looks like it was blown up intentionally for the video by another means other than a hot cartridge.

Exactly--I noticed the same things. Makes you wonder if the video of the bullet exiting the barrel on the Werner Mehl website is phony-baloney too.

You tell tell the explosion has already started when the video clip starts. That looks real to me they just did not capture the ignition part in the video clip. The case is very evident. One of the large pieces flying up on the right side of the video is end of the case open up flat.

mcb

Hello to all disbelievers....;)

The complete story of this planned kaboom is printed in the actual issue of the german gun mag "Caliber". It was realized to get a better understanding of the process of a revolver kaboom. The problem with the whole thing was, that there is only space for 100 pictures in the memory of the high-speed camera (Shimadzu HPV1) - . This means, with the speed of the camera of up to 1.000.000 pictures per second (!) there´s only time for 0,0001 seconds - because of that, they concentrated on the interesting part of the blow-up. The pressure of the used case was ~16.000 bar (calculated by a special software called "quickload"). I know one of the authors of this article personally and I don´t think, that this is a fake! Werner Mehl is also a well known person in the business of short time measuring systems in Germany. One line of his products are very precise and reliable bullet speed measuring systems (used by public authorities, gun mags etc.).

Believe it....:)

DVC!

Sascha

If I'm seeing it correctly, you can see the case head clearly at the end of the video, against the recoil shield. Plus the flattened portions of the case wall flying out of the gun earlier in the vid.

Having seen the remains of guns blown in this manner, I have no real doubt about it being faked. Much easier to simply overload the cartridge than go to any other lengths to blow up the gun.

Guy

If I'm seeing it correctly, you can see the case head clearly at the end of the video, against the recoil shield. Plus the flattened portions of the case wall flying out of the gun earlier in the vid.

Having seen the remains of guns blown in this manner, I have no real doubt about it being faked. Much easier to simply overload the cartridge than go to any other lengths to blow up the gun.

Guy

I have seen guns that have blown up before also. It actually can happen from underloading the case with a powder like W 296 or H 110.

In the video I can see the brass flying, it just seems strange I can not see the case head resting on the cylinder but instead can see what looks like an empty cylinder. It also seems strange that the top strap is already bent which is obvious in the first frame.

You tell tell the explosion has already started when the video clip starts. That looks real to me they just did not capture the ignition part in the video clip. The case is very evident. One of the large pieces flying up on the right side of the video is end of the case open up flat.

mcb

ditto, if you let the video play through and reset to the first frame, you can see the frame is already cracked behind the cylinder and gas and debirs are being ejected. The video definitely starts after hte explosion is under way.

It actually can happen from underloading the case with a powder like W 296 or H 110.

I have heard that "secondary detonation" theory tossed around for many years, but I wonder if it has ever been proven under controlled testing. Perhaps Guy Neill would know.

Was that Nemo????

FUNNY... <_<

B)

Actually the cyl of my 25-2 didn't disintegrate like that. The gun will be getting some dremelization, a SS cyl and a refinish. Will be available for viewing at the nationals.

Edited by Nemo

To my knowledge, no one has been able to substantiate Secondary Explosion Effect, even though several have tried. Theoretically, it is the meeting of two pressure waves in the casing, resulting in significantly increased pressure. It's thought to arise when usinga low powder charge allowing hte primer flame to flash over the charge lying in the bottom of the case.

I do remember reading about Hercules trying to duplicate the classic 2.7gr Bullseye load (38 Special, wadcutter bullet) which had numerous reports of blowing up guns. Unfortuinately, I do not remember where I read it, so I can;t point to the report at this time.

However, my recollection is that Hercules was unable to blow up a gun with that charge of Bullseye, until they loaded two bullets in the case.

While many people support SEE as a blow-up cause, there is still room to believe it was simply loader error.

I've not seen any real analysis of what may happen with reduced charges of 296, but it is definitely recommended by Winchester not to reduce the loads. What I expect may be happening, and this is pure conjecture, is that the intial light-off of the low powder charge moves the bullet slightly, wedging it in the forcing cone. Because 296 burns best at higher pressure, the initial low pressure, because of the lower charge weight, causes inefficient burning. However, once the bullet stops in the forcing cone, the pressure builds to the point that much better ignition of the remaining powder charge occurs, resulting in a very sudden increase in pressure. Since the bullet is stopped, and has no running room to get to the rifling, the sudden increase in pressure overwhelms the system.

In engineering, there is a term called "jerk". It is the instantaneous change in acceleration. It will destroy machinery. The above scenario is a form of "jerk" that results from the bullet not being able to change fast enough to enlarge the volume to manage the pressure build.

But, like all theories, it holds no water until proven. And I do not have the resources to investigate it. Most (all?) of the labs are generally dedicated to testing existing or new products and have no interst or budget for looking into theories. The commercialization takes priority over research.

Hopefully, someone will set things straight at some point on what is really happening.

I also hope some of this makes some sort of sense.

Guy

Was that Nemo????

FUNNY... <_<

B)

Actually the cyl of my 25-2 didn't disintegrate like that. The gun will be getting some dremelization, a SS cyl and a refinish. Will be available for viewing at the nationals.

I am a mean man Nemo and I know it. It is just old age catching up with me ;) OR as Flip used to say "The Devil made me do it"

snipped.....

But, like all theories, it holds no water until proven. And I do not have the resources to investigate it. Most (all?) of the labs are generally dedicated to testing existing or new products and have no interst or budget for looking into theories. The commercialization takes priority over research.

Hopefully, someone will set things straight at some point on what is really happening.

I also hope some of this makes some sort of sense.

Guy

Maybe we should submit this to mythbusters they seem to enjoy testing (blowing up) firearms related myths.

Alan

There are STILL some published loads with reduced charges of Winchester 296. Years ago when I first started reloading for the .45 Colt I used some of these reduced loads in a Ruger Blackhawk and S&W 25-7. I experienced very erratic performance and stuck a few bullets in the barrels but I never blew up any of my guns. It is clear to me that sometimes reduced loads are more dangerous than heavy loads, though I refuse to believe that a reduced load alone is capable of blowing up any gun.

Dave Sinko