Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited/standard

ErikW

Which CZ 75 and which Witness in .40? EAA has Witness Steel, Witness Compact, Witness Elites, & Witness Polymers.

CZ75b standard fullsize and a fullsize steel WITNESS .40.

I've compared my EAA 40 s&w full-length (OAL 1.200") mags from 2004 with the EAA 10mm mags from 2007 and they are identical. No change in outer dimensions. Note: there is a slight change in the rear cut by the feed lips, but this has no effect on this. There is also a new cut where the slidestop comes in, but this again makes no difference. All the 2007 magazines have this cut now.

The only difference I see between the 40sw and 10mm mags is that the 40sw mags have a spacer to better accomodate factory loads. This of course makes it ONLY possible to shoot factory length (1.135") loads. Whereas the 10mm mags still allows for 1.200" OAL reloads. This is what we want.

About the new magazine cut, I just got a Match in .40 with two magazines. One has the cut and the other does not. The newer magazine with the cut will not fully seat, I can easily pull it out after I pop it in. The non cut mag stays in.

What can I check or do with this magazine? Send it back and get all my mags from you?

Also, about the OAL's, will the OAL 1.2" mags work with factory ammo?

post-9739-1174921921.jpg

Edited by Hallmatt

All the newer mags (that I have received recently) have the cut. Looks like you got an old and a newer style. Shit like that happens, though I don't like it. I want all my mags to be identical.

Do any of them have the spacer? The spacers suck if you're a reloader because you can't load to 1.200" OAL. If you're shooting factory ammo it's probably what you want to use. Supposedly they'll ensure better feeding. I mean, that's why they put them in.

I have used the 1.200" OAL mags with factory ammo and it does work. Honestly I haven't shot enough (I mean thousands on a regular basis) to tell if they will cause the occasional feeding issue. I would shoot them and see, and please report back here.

The point of the spacer is to ensure the rounds don't get shuffled front to back, which could cause issues. Now, if you're careful and make sure the rounds and stuffed in the back (which I naturally do), you'll probably never notice anything. For carry though, and ammo sitting in mags all the time, the possibility of rounds moving forward is of course there.

Why your cut mags drops I don't know. I haven't gotten any reasoning behind the cut, but its natural to assume it's going to allow a factory slidestop to not be pushed up (and lock the slide back) by the magazine body. That's the followers job and if the magbody is pushed to far into the frame (temporary jolt from seating a new mag) it could push the slidestop up and lock the slide.

I always put an EGW slide pin in anyways and avoid the whole slidestop-lockback potential issue. I had a 38 super that worked flawlessly for years and then out of the blue started locking back. It didn't take me very long to cut the follower-button on the slidestop with my dremel... In competition I know beforehand how many extra rounds I have and reload prior to shooting dry.

On your cut-mag that drops, take a look at the magrelease cut / slot in the mags. Compare the two and see if the cut mag has a shallower release hole. Otherwise I have a hard time seeing why it would drop. Please let me know what you find.

The mags for my match .40 did the same thing. Pop the mag pads off and file/sand the part of the base pad that fits up against the frame. It is best to use a wide flat file or piece of 1x2 wrapped with sandpaper to take a little bit off. It does not take much, maybe 1/32 of an inch. Cut slow, try fit, repeat untill done. YMMV.

Art

bubback,

The CZ75 counterpart in EAA would be the Witness Fullsize (Steel Wonder). Wonder refers to the finish, what they call "Wonder Finish". MSRP $489.

Here's a picture

Art,

Makes sense that the plastic pads causes the problem. I end up using aluminum basepads anyway which eliminates the entire problem. Plus you get higher capacity.

The mags for my match .40 did the same thing. Pop the mag pads off and file/sand the part of the base pad that fits up against the frame. It is best to use a wide flat file or piece of 1x2 wrapped with sandpaper to take a little bit off. It does not take much, maybe 1/32 of an inch. Cut slow, try fit, repeat untill done. YMMV.

Art

Yes, that was the problem. The base pad of the mag contacts the frame before the mag hits the catch.

The file worked well, I guess I had to take at least a 32nd off. It also looks like the base pad of the un-cut mag that came with the Match was filed already. Thanks Art.

Besides the cut, both mags look identical. They do have the spacer too.

Edited by Hallmatt

I'm picking up my 140mm mag pad tomorrow from my machine shop. They are going to be real easy to get on/off (no more screws like in the CPMI pads..). Will allow for 21 + 1 in 40 / 10mm USPSA rules and 23/24 + 1 in 38 super (mag style generation dependent).

As soon as I approve the pad (by tomorrow evening), production will start on Thursday and they will be available online shortly after!

Any update on your mag pads?

I went to see them a few days ago and it's a beautiful product no doubt. Problem is the guy wants too much for them, in fact 50% more than I told my target price needs to be and we agreed on the entire time developing it. He pissed me off, because I know he just pulled the higher price out of his a$$.

I've got the new design down and you'll really like the final product. I've asked for a quote from another machine shop and expect to talk to them tomorrow.

I have a couple of alternatives and it's something I want to get done very soon. Don't worry, I'm not slacking on it at all. ;)