Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Tech Section @ Henningshootsguns.com

sinnsyk

Wrote up some articles about the guns and put them in a special tech section. More informative articles with pictures and videos are coming. If there's something in particular you'd like for me to cover, please post in the forum or send me an email.

Tanfoglio Tech

The Tech Section is shaping up. I just uploaded some more articles on "how-to" the Tanfoglio / EAA Witness pistols.

These are the articles covered:

Updated Mag Release

Tune for 38 Rimless

40 S&W Mag Setup

38 Super Mag Setup

Frame Assembly

Upper Assembly

Customize Your Grip

There are videos on how to disassemble / reassemble the frame and upper. What to clean, how to clean and so on.

Also a video on how to modify your grip w/ aluminum grips, molding putty and skate board tape to increase your ability to handle the gun.

The lighting wasn't the greatest when I did the videos of the frame & upper so I might re-do them later w/ some serious lamps. You should be able to get a pretty good idea from these, but please drop me an email if you're struggling.

Thanks Henning,

I own both a Limited and Gold Elite Tanfo and now can feel comfortable in the dis-assembly and assembly of the frame.

Guys, he's right, wear some glasses when you work on these, those little trigger and sear springs become missles!

Thanks again Henning!

abs

Larry,

You're welcome. It's been fun making the videos and I'm starting making on my DVD next week. Think the online videos are a great start, but watching it on your TV in high quality and good lighting is going to be lot nicer.

Guys, I need input. Let me know what you'd like to see covered in the video. I'm going to make specific things. I'll post a separate thread for what should be covered on the DVD. Please let me know what you want and I'll do it.

Larry,

You're welcome. It's been fun making the videos and I'm starting making on my DVD next week. Think the online videos are a great start, but watching it on your TV in high quality and good lighting is going to be lot nicer.

Guys, I need input. Let me know what you'd like to see covered in the video. I'm going to make specific things. I'll post a separate thread for what should be covered on the DVD. Please let me know what you want and I'll do it.

Henning.

How about some reliability mods?

Throating chamber.

Polishing ramp.

Shaping the extractor.

Polishing breech face.

Work on the disconnector rail. Etc.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by TxD

TxD,

I'm not a gunsmith so I won't get into throating the chamber, but thanks for the ideas. I've also never had to do this on any of my Tanfoglios (not that it wouldn't be the case for others).

I also don't want to get too far into what should absolutely be done by professional gunsmiths. My main intention is to increase the general knowledge of the gun, like disassembly, how to clean & lube and assembly. I will include magazine tuning / mod for higher capacity. Shaping the extractor or explaining what can be done to tune for scope mount I do like the idea of getting into. I don't think it's very hard to do and something that's very useful to know. Simple tasks like polishing I will cover as it's not difficult.

I think the DVD probably should specify that certain mods have to be done by a gunsmith. Remember when you're modifying your own gun, the warranty might be voided.

One thing that has caused me considerable heartburn is getting the sear block positioned so that the hammer is engaged correctly and the safety can be inserted. As with most things, this is probally quite simple once you know how. This likely could be addresed in a bit on adding an ambidextrous safety.

I can totally relate. Getting the sear assy and the safety back in is a pain. I'll definitely cover that. I have already made a lo-res video available in my tech section. Check out "Frame Assembly". The trick is to have the sear spring away from its locked (down) position, hold the trigger in and the hammer slightly back while you insert the sear assy. Then insert the safety. This is demonstrated in the lo-res video available for download now:

Frame Assembly

Henning, I have a question. I have removed the rear sight to install a slide racker. The slide racker is installed into the dove tail leaving the undercut ( mountiing area ), exposed. There is a spring and plunger assy. that is now exposed and looks to be only 50% contained????

Phil

The frame-assembly video is very good.

If I tried to cover the same procedure, the video would be 2 hours long and not once would I have said the word "treegy".

So either way, your enjoyment would be much lower...

Thanks Henning, great job.

I can totally relate. Getting the sear assy and the safety back in is a pain. I'll definitely cover that. I have already made a lo-res video available in my tech section. Check out "Frame Assembly". The trick is to have the sear spring away from its locked (down) position, hold the trigger in and the hammer slightly back while you insert the sear assy. Then insert the safety. This is demonstrated in the lo-res video available for download now:

Frame Assembly

Thanks for the tip and the video. After watching several times and re-reading the above, I got couragous again and popped out the safety and the sear block. After some extensive jiggeling I finally got it in in the correct alignment.

Now my local gunsmith will have to find a different way to send his kids to college.

I'm glad you guys understand the guns better. We should all be able to dis/assemble our guns for ultimate cleaning and parts inspection. Unless you are proficient and have a good understanding of how everything works, remember the gunsmith is your guy for modifications. Don't start hacking at parts with your dremel tool... :lol: