Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Car Buffer Vs. Rifle Buffer Tube

Dusty

On an AR with a rifle length gas system will a car buffer tube have the same recoil feel as a rifle buffer tube?

The buffer weight matters more than the length. You can get carbine buffers that are the same weight as rifle buffers. Always use the correct length buffer in the tube...several years ago there were some people who thought using CAR buffers in their rifle tubes made the gun cycle faster, it may have but it will damage the lower.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

At one time JP rifles used a spacer and car buffer& spring with thier alum lo mass system.(Maybe still do.) The steel carrier is so much heavier than the lo mass alum one, I dont think I would try that.------Larry

Funny you should say something about this. I am making a drop-in spacer plug with 3 1" long SHIMS so you can vary your spring length by using a car buffer in a rifle length tube. It is much easier to make a car buffer out of stainless or whatever to vary the weight. As soon as it warms up I'll be testing it for usefullness combined with an adjustable gas block.

fastshooter03

Funny you should say something about this. I am making a drop-in spacer plug with 3 1" long SHIMS so you can vary your spring length by using a car buffer in a rifle length tube. It is much easier to make a car buffer out of stainless or whatever to vary the weight. As soon as it warms up I'll be testing it for usefullness combined with an adjustable gas block.

fastshooter03

Fast shooter, as you will need a adj. gas block, talk to John at JP whwn you order it. I think you are about to cover ground that has been tracked up for some time. John can probaly save you some time and a bunch of screwed up parts.--------------Larry

I like to make my own adjustable gas blocks that use stock gas tubes cut off and threaded so they bleed less gas so I really don't need to go through JP. Although I do have a JP block I purchased from a friend a while back I could try.

While I'm sure JP could offer some experience with lightened carriers and buffers and so on, I like to tinker around and test ideas. If they offer no real advantage, the idea is scrapped.

As far as screwed up parts go, there's nothing that can be damaged unless I throw it away. My buffers are a little longer .005" than standard. Measure once and cut 5 times.

Fastshooter03