Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

23 + 1 Rnd 38 Super Magazines

sinnsyk

I put together some complete 38 super (rimless) magazines that will hold 23 + 1. For those of you who don't have 170mm mags yet (which goes for pretty much all of us..), this will get your open gun capacity up. I haven't put them on the site yet, but I intend to. That way you can order ready-to-go mags. Right now I have 4 mags ready, but I will put together more. Email me if you're interested.

Just made available for easy-ordering on my site: Magazines

23 round 38 super (rimless recommended) magazines

21 round 40 s&w magazines

Most of this info is on the site as well, but just to make sure:

USPSA 140mm Legality

The 21 round 40 s&w mags are slightly too big for USPSA Limited Class. CPMI made their pads 0.040" too long so, you'll have to use a belt sander or some other tool to shave off on the back of the pad to make it legal. For 38 super, of course, this doesn't matter.

Large Frame Only

Though I have CPMI Extended pads for Tanfoglio small frame guns, these complete extended mags are for Large Frame Guns only.

Let the spring take a set

In 40 S&W, only load 20 + 1 for a while and let the magspring take a set and slowly open up to 21 + 1. It will, but don't try to press 21 in right away. The spring is too tight and I don't want to cut coils off. I'd rather have the spring take it's natural set and have as much spring tension as possible.

Follower & Spring Tweak & Potential Factory SlideStop ssues

I have adjusted the spring so that the follower leans to the right. This is to ensure the follower doesn't ride too high in the magazine. Over time and usage it might move and if it for some reason pops through the mag lips, take the spring-kit out and bend the follower to the right until it won't come out. If it does it'll only do so on empty mag. If you're running a factory slidestop it will attempt to lock back, but not be working like a factory mag will. So, I recommend getting the EGW slide pin to replace the factory slidestop. This will eliminate any confusion, improve function and remind you that the slide will never lock back. Something I would never want my competition gun to do anyway! One last thing. If the slide rides on the follower on an empty mag, it might shave off some material off the follower, but don't worry about it. When you get or create your own extended mag, run the slide back/forth several times on each empty mag to make sure it doesn't shave the follower or if it does - until it's done shaving. Then you're good to go!

Mag spring life

Expect to get 200 cycles times 20 rounds of each mag. That makes 4,000 rounds fire out of each of your extended mag setup. If you have 5 mags total, expect to replace your mag springs after 20,000 rounds. That way you'll have reliable magazines. For more info, check out my post on The Scope On Mags

I love my mag setups!

• 2 weeks later...