Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2007 Nationals

Patrick Sweeney

Dennis,

Nobody ever said I was "Right" :P

And Yes, If all goes well I and my 25-2 will be there to get another dose of ass kicking from the Senior and Junior. <_<

Gonna be fun, see all you cats and chicks there.

Hopalong

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aboard Sam! I knew you would not let the wheel-gunners down.

As best as I can figure it, here's what we have so far:

Definately in with a slot:

P. Sweeney

M. Carmoney

B. Perdue

N. Colon

P. DeBerry

V. Sargentini

T. Mainus

S. Keen

D. Jarrell

I think it is safe to add:

J. Miculek

C. Walsh

D. Carden

L. Fay

J. Bagakis

D. Margues

H. Morrell

Walter Mitty

Possibles from the wait list:

P. Griggs

D. Gomez + one

R. Davis

G. Cuttitta

Dan Z.

J. Carr

K. Ulfers

S. Penkala

B. Williams

Sorry if I have missed anyone.

161 and a wake-up!

After midnight glitches, my application finally went in about 12:30 am, and checking the classification page, I had 98 people in front of me. Later Thursday morning, it was up to 104, and now it appears to have stabilized at 108 in front.

I guess that has a decent shot of making it to the show in Tulsa. Now, I've got to find enough Federal small pistol primers to have ammunition to shoot.

Nemo,

Good shooting at State, sorry I missed you, I got this promotion now I am having a heck of a time getting away from work...

What # were you a the wait list???? Or did you get it for being the section revo champ??

Definately in with a slot:

P. Sweeney

M. Carmoney

B. Perdue

N. Colon

P. DeBerry

V. Sargentini

T. Mainus

S. Keen

D. Jarrell

L. Fay

W. Mitty

I think it is safe to add:

J. Miculek

C. Walsh

D. Carden

J. Bagakis

D. Margues

H. Morrell

Possibles from the wait list:

P. Griggs

D. Gomez + one

R. Davis

G. Cuttitta

J. Carr

K. Ulfers

S. Penkala

B. Williams

Latest update. Welcome aboard Luke. Looking forward to meeting in Tulsa.

We are up to 26 possible. Go waiting list!!!!!

160 and a wake-up.

Edited by Bwana Six-Gun

There must have been some movement today there are now 11 people ahead of me.

So at five people a day, I should get the word on Thursday.

Kim - I still think your the bestest girl in the whooooole world! :wub:

There must have been some movement today there are now 11 people ahead of me.

So at five people a day, I should get the word on Thursday.

Kim - I still think your the bestest girl in the whooooole world! :wub:

Hey, I've seen more than 11 people get into the match after the shooters meeting. You're in for sure. B)

Nemo,

Good shooting at State, sorry I missed you, I got this promotion now I am having a heck of a time getting away from work...

What # were you a the wait list???? Or did you get it for being the section revo champ??

Thanks Luke. We missed you there too.

Clifford, I got my slot through one of my clubs. Sorry I didn't stay for the awards to congratulate you on your repeat. Always good to shoot with you... kind of...

;)

I'm #104 on the wait list now, and it doesn't appear to be changing. Maybe they are concentrating on getting the Open/L10 match settled before doing ours.

The word I heard was the local clubs had to turn in their unused slots for the Montana match by April 2nd, but the turn-in date for the Tulsa Match is July 2! [No idea why they had everybody go on the list at the same time, if we're going to have to wait until July 2 to start getting the released slots assigned.

If anyone on the waiting list gets offered a slot earlier, that's worth posting. As it is, I don't feature having to log on and check my classification every other day to look for movement on the people above me. After all, some of them might be coming off the list because they got a sectional slot.

I'm #104 on the wait list now, and it doesn't appear to be changing. Maybe they are concentrating on getting the Open/L10 match settled before doing ours.

The word I heard was the local clubs had to turn in their unused slots for the Montana match by April 2nd, but the turn-in date for the Tulsa Match is July 2! [No idea why they had everybody go on the list at the same time, if we're going to have to wait until July 2 to start getting the released slots assigned.

If anyone on the waiting list gets offered a slot earlier, that's worth posting. As it is, I don't feature having to log on and check my classification every other day to look for movement on the people above me. After all, some of them might be coming off the list because they got a sectional slot.

Yeah, the One-Waiting-List thing is a bit hard for me to understand as well. I'm guessing there are a number of Sections that still haven't made their distributions for Tulsa and there will be folks both on and off the list that will get some of those slots.

This may create two additional groups of less than thrilled campers; those that paid the $25 to get on the list then end up with a Section slot offered, and those that ignored the waiting list signup because they thought they would get a slot that doesn't materialize.

I think the waiting list could be used to greater effect with a few tweaks:

1. We should already know when and where the *next* Nationals will be. (Not the 2007 venues, but the 2008 venues and the 2009 tentatives at least)

2. Anybody willing to commit the $25 should be able to sign up as far in advance as they are willing to gamble. Want to get in line for the 2010 Open/Production Nationals? OK. I imagine there will be a few folks this appeals to, others can't imagine trying to plan that far in advance, but somewhere on the timeline would be a better fit than a midnight free-for-all that crashes the USPSA server 90 days before the first venue and 6 months before the venue after that.

3. Make the generic waiting list statistics available to the general membership (maybe this is available now and I just don't know where to look?). Of the 104 people ahead of you, are all of them wanting to go to Tulsa or Missoula or is it a mix? Are there already 375 people on the waiting list for Tulsa? It would help the decision making (and waiting) process more tolerable.

4. Your ideas...

Our clubs BOD had a spirited discussion on when to allocate our slot. Some who don't wish to go to the Nationals don't think it's a big concern. My view point won out and we issued ours at our March Match. Just about as soon as we got it. Then the method had to be hashed out also, so much effort for such obvious items gets a bit tedious.

But it's a done deal, and was fairly done based on request/placement/participation.

As for doing the Nationals more than 1 year in advance, too many variables. It would be a great service to the members for the USPSA BOD to have the venues picked at least by the Nationals this year. But the wait list needs to be kept much closer to the dates. Otherwise you'll end up with quite a few who take slots but don't use them at the last minute. Pretty much what you have now, but the ...buzzzz... would be less cause it would seem less likely to get one. When you're at 330+ 6 months away and then 200+ say, oh well not this year and turn'em back in.

But picking the venue's can be done, and for the members and the chosen clubs, it should be.

[snip]

As for doing the Nationals more than 1 year in advance, too many variables. It would be a great service to the members for the USPSA BOD to have the venues picked at least by the Nationals this year. But the wait list needs to be kept much closer to the dates. Otherwise you'll end up with quite a few who take slots but don't use them at the last minute. Pretty much what you have now, but the ...buzzzz... would be less cause it would seem less likely to get one. When you're at 330+ 6 months away and then 200+ say, oh well not this year and turn'em back in.

But picking the venue's can be done, and for the members and the chosen clubs, it should be.

It would be a great improvement just to know where the following year Nationals will be held in the current year, so I wouldn't look that gift horse in the mouth, but I have a hard time understanding how two or three (or more) years in advance has too many variables to plan.

Please note Brother pskys2, I don't propose that match slots be distributed, or Section administration of the slots be changed in any way; I'm suggesting that USPSA changes *their* waiting list methods to make it a better tool.

If the USPSA BOD had a waiting list out there with say, 600 people on it signed up (for $25 a head($15,000.00!!)) for the 2008 Nationals Schedule; and 25 wanted to go to Montana, 175 wanted to go to Tulsa, and 400 wanted to go to Barry, (or any mix you pick) how could you use that data? Other things mix in of course, if the waiting list for Single Stack in Barry is bigger than the total number of slots available for the 3-gun Nationals in Vegas (hypothetically) that could be important not only for current event planning but for future planning improvements.

A lot of what USPSA does (like how many "Nationals" to have) is purportedly based on Economics. Unrestricted rolling waiting list data (which the members pay to get on of course) would seem to be a gold mine of hard marketing intelligence.

I have heard that we can't put on a big match if we can't fill it with something like 300+ people. OK match planners, if you had a fee-only waiting list out there telling you 1-2 years in advance how many people wanted to shoot which division in which venue do you think that could help?

Part of my living is earned from teaching and interpreting statistics if any job opening come up. B)

You guys are worrying too much. If you got on the waiting list in reasonably timely fashion, you will have no problem receiving a slot. Block the time off on your calendar and quit thinking about it.

You must be the same guys who sit around pondering whether your moonclips are upside down. Way too much time on your hands. ;)

You guys are worrying too much. If you got on the waiting list in reasonably timely fashion, you will have no problem receiving a slot. Block the time off on your calendar and quit thinking about it.

You must be the same guys who sit around pondering whether your moonclips are upside down. Way too much time on your hands. ;)

I'm not on the waiting list. I've got a slot and I know I'll be there unless I have to cancel, so your point of worrying about a slot is moot for me. At least this year.

Your suggestion may be of some use for those on the list ~100+ positions down, but I'm not sure how you could know that unless you have some kind of information the rest of us don't have; please share. You may feel that history at Barry is 99+% accurate, but I will suggest the change in venue may have an unpredictable effect. By the way, how many people are on the waiting list? Are you saying you already know all of them will get a slot? Why is there a waiting list? I think it's because there are not enough slots in the current match schedule to accomodate everybody that would be willing to ante up and shoot.

We already know of four groups created by the current system:

1. Got through early (before the official opening time) got entered and off without trouble.

2. Got through close to official opening time ("reasonably timely fashion"?) and off without trouble.

3. Got through far enough to get credit card data entered, then crashed. They held their place in line (presumably) because of their card time stamp.

4. Got on about the right time but crashed somewhere in the system and didn't get on until the system came back up and accepted more entries (are these entries in the "reasonably timely fashion" group?). Some of these folks got a list number, then got moved backwards later.

I'll add 4 more groups:

5. Those whose schedules did not support dinking around on a computer at midnight on the 28th of March and said to hell with it.

6. Those that didn't/don't understand which match this waiting list was for and *may* still be waiting for the Tulsa waiting list to open.

7. Those that didn't try to get on the waiting list and never will because they work places that required them to submit for vacation approvals on a First-come, First served basis back in November of 2006 or some other time prior to the match date and place announcement.

and finally,

8. Those that heard enough about the nature of this process to just say "to hell with it, I'm not going to waste my time on such a screwy process."

Now, I was prepared to get in there and root with the best of ya to get a slot through this system, but I think there are better ways to handle the "customers" of this process and keep them informed of where they stand; while at the same time gaining invaluable market intelligence and finding concrete ways to grow the sport.

While I may or may not be worried about which way my moon clips are facing, I'm still not prepared to say "I got my slot and >if< the rest of you got on the list in time you'll get one too, so stop worrying about it." I'd prefer to be able to say something like "Get on the waiting list, and if you don't get a slot this year you can let your money ride and see how you come out next year.

I'm not on the waiting list. I've got a slot and I know I'll be there unless I have to cancel, so your point of worrying about a slot is moot for me. At least this year.

Your suggestion may be of some use for those on the list ~100+ positions down, but I'm not sure how you could know that unless you have some kind of information the rest of us don't have; please share. You may feel that history at Barry is 99+% accurate, but I will suggest the change in venue may have an unpredictable effect. By the way, how many people are on the waiting list? Are you saying you already know all of them will get a slot? Why is there a waiting list? I think it's because there are not enough slots in the current match schedule to accomodate everybody that would be willing to ante up and shoot.

We already know of four groups created by the current system:

1. Got through early (before the official opening time) got entered and off without trouble.

2. Got through close to official opening time ("reasonably timely fashion"?) and off without trouble.

3. Got through far enough to get credit card data entered, then crashed. They held their place in line (presumably) because of their card time stamp.

4. Got on about the right time but crashed somewhere in the system and didn't get on until the system came back up and accepted more entries (are these entries in the "reasonably timely fashion" group?). Some of these folks got a list number, then got moved backwards later.

I'll add 4 more groups:

5. Those whose schedules did not support dinking around on a computer at midnight on the 28th of March and said to hell with it.

6. Those that didn't/don't understand which match this waiting list was for and *may* still be waiting for the Tulsa waiting list to open.

7. Those that didn't try to get on the waiting list and never will because they work places that required them to submit for vacation approvals on a First-come, First served basis back in November of 2006 or some other time prior to the match date and place announcement.

and finally,

8. Those that heard enough about the nature of this process to just say "to hell with it, I'm not going to waste my time on such a screwy process."

Now, I was prepared to get in there and root with the best of ya to get a slot through this system, but I think there are better ways to handle the "customers" of this process and keep them informed of where they stand; while at the same time gaining invaluable market intelligence and finding concrete ways to grow the sport.

While I may or may not be worried about which way my moon clips are facing, I'm still not prepared to say "I got my slot and >if< the rest of you got on the list in time you'll get one too, so stop worrying about it." I'd prefer to be able to say something like "Get on the waiting list, and if you don't get a slot this year you can let your money ride and see how you come out next year.

I would add that when you position changes up and down periodically during the waiting period, it does not breed confidence in the integrity of the system.

I got in reasonably early and almost certainly will be offered a slot which I will greedily accept. But, if I were farther down the list, I would have doubts about this process

• 1 month later...

Western PA section coordinator showed up at our local match with my slot to the Game. No more waiting list jitters! .

Registration form goes in tomorrow. Time to make hotel and plane reservations.

Anybody interested in sharing a room at the Best Western Airport?

Prof didn't get a wait list slot. He probably got a returned or traded or earned section slot. The slot deadline for L/P/R has not passed yet, so the wait list won't move much, if any, until then.

Troy

Prof,

That's cool that you were #103 and got your slot.

I am number 11 as I have since the first week, and still haven't gotten a peep out of anyone.

So much for what number you are on the list. :wacko:

I'll confirm what Troy said. I was a bit confused about when the slot had to be returned so I got it returned by the deadline for the Open match, but the printing on the slot form itself was much later. Not all Sections have processed slots as quickly as others because the actual deadline for Tulsa hasn't been that pressing.

So you may still be at #11 (or better) because everybody that was at 104+ just moved up one position. If any of the folks ahead of you have had a similar experience you may be even closer, but there doesn't appear to be a way to update the waiting list when these kinds of moves occur.

Perhaps it would have been better to have two waiting lists depending on which match you wanted to attend. That certainly couldn't have hurt the system performance on Sign-up Crash night either.