Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"The Inner Game of Tennis", W Timothy Gallwey

Flyin40

Back when I was in the corporate world, the "inner game" books were required reading for "charm school". Top management brought in a "employee enhancement guru" to assist us low lifes in becoming all that we could be.

The school sucked but the books are great. (I guess the class didn't take.) :)

Bill

John,

Are you kidding? It's good stuff.

Try a search...newbie. :):):)

(Haven't I showed you my copy? I stuck an USPSA sticker over the tennis ball on the cover. Now it's a shooting book.)

I knew it was good book because of past threads on the forum so No I didn't need to do a search.

And don't go calling me a newbie, I'm only a newbie at Poker.......oh wait..........I guess I'm not a newbie any longer. I have a strange feeling your setting me up for the next big money game, giving me alittle confidence. :ph34r::ph34r:

I already told the wife, after Sat I'm playin the lotto......... :D

Flyin

• 2 years later...

I Just started this book a few days ago. It's a short read and is just awesome so far. I should have finished by know but it really has you rethinking so much...

Here are some quotes that are really cool. I've been taking notes and will add more later as well. Some are slightly out of context but you should be able to figure it out... the bold emphasis is mine.

"Meanwhile, attention is taken off what is and placed on the process of trying to do things right"

"...focus without thinking"

"By ending judgement, you do not avoid seeing what is. Ending judgement means you neither add nor subtract from the fact before your eyes. Things appear as they are- undistorted. In this way,the mind becomes more calm."

Edited by Flexmoney
*merged threads*

And after that book, he released the Inner Game of Golf.

It's release is kind of a cool story. His publishers were so happy with the results from the Inner Game of Tennis, even though he'd never played golf, they asked to apply the techniques from the IGoT to golf, and then write a book about he became a successful golfer in a new book.

I think nowadays, he mostly does high-dollar consulting for major corporations with IGoT techniques.

be

I have learned something else from this book that I think I was drifting from a bit recently... not just in shooting but in other aspects of my life as well.

The chapter "The Meaning of Competition" was really an eye opener for me. Some of the biggest joys of shooting, tennis and other things in my life aren't just winning- but instead the process of learning to be the best you can be.

I think the author does a better job explaining it than I can:

"Winning is overcoming obstacles to reach a goal, but the value in winning is only as great as the value of the goal reached."

"I don't worry about winning or losing the match, but whether or not I am making the maximum effort during every point becuase I realize that that is where the true value lies."

"So I arrived at the startling conclusion that true competition is identical with true cooperation. Each player tries hardest to defeat the other, but in this use of competition it isn't the other person we are defeating; it is simly a matter of overcoming the obstacles he presents. In true competition no person is defeated. Both players benefit by their efforts to overcome the obstacles presented by the other. Like two bulls butting their heads against one another, both grow stronger and each participates in the development of each other."

and here is a real good one that hits home...

"When I'm only concerned about winning, I'm caring about something that I can't wholly control. Whether I win or lose the external game is a result of my opponent's skill and effort as well as my own. When one is emotionally attached to results that he can't control, he tends to become anxious and then try too hard...."

I used to dread when some better shooters showed up in a match.. now I look forward to it... hope for it even!

So.. I maybe my competition will buy this book as well... it will help me become a better shooter!!

Edited by lugnut