Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar15 Mags

Bruce

At SMM, Ty used the new tripp 52 rounder to good effect and it seemed to work great - why people dont ALWAYS use 40/50/100 rnd Hicap mags confuses me, I saw a guy go to reload his AR with another 30 rounder on the rollercoster stage at SMM and by the time he had finised the botched reload, the coaster was at the end of the run and he passed by 6 targets and had zeroed the stage - he came off the stage shaking his head and I bet he was wishing he had bought a Beta.

DPMS 45 rounders (....not Kellys :lol: ), Sterling 40s, Beta, and if you insist on 30's get some H&Ks - they are great.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can think of a few situation where long magazines are a liability. Try to get into the prone or sitting position with a straight 52 rounder hanging under you AR. I would think for the best 3-gun magazine would be a mini beta that hold 45-50rds. long mags are to cumbersome and beta's are just to heavy for many stages.

YMMV

mcb

I can think of a few situation where long magazines are a liability. Try to get into the prone or sitting position with a straight 52 rounder hanging under you AR. I would think for the best 3-gun magazine would be a mini beta that hold 45-50rds. long mags are to cumbersome and beta's are just to heavy for many stages.

If you get the Beta-C with a clear cover you can load it with less than 100 rounds and still see how much ammo is left. You still have the weight of the magazine, but if you load it with 50 the ammo itself will be twice as light.

If there is a stage that a botched reload cause you to zero, ie, a stage where you are moving past targets so that you cannot stop or slow down to recover, my opinion is that that is a poor stage design. It may well be the most fun you can have with a gun, but if there is no way to shoot it short of a 50 round mag or a Beta I still contend it doen't belong in a match.

Mag capacity should not be the deciding factor on a stage.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I use Okay, or C-products. When I buy mags from a "store" as in not from classifieds I use 44mag.com very quick service and usually about the best price, and you can get the mags with the magpul follower already installed. I believe the brownells mags are C-products, they look identical. The new mag-pul polymer mags look promising, I'm waiting for the FDE ones to hit the shelves to try some out.

As far as not using a beta or a larger mag ie 45+ some people (like myself) use the three gun as a supplement to training, and beta's and huge mags aren't generally practical outside of a hoser stage.

Polytech

Anyone seen these????

http://www.riflestocks.com/images06/AR/mage-mag.jpg

How do they work......good??/bad???

It is a 5 round extension for the milspec 30 round mag......at $5.00 each, made by the folks that make your ace butt stocks.

Tim

I bought a couple to see how they compare to the 4-rd aluminum extensions I make. Can't go wrong for only $5 right?? Wrong!

I like Ace stocks but I can't reccommend the 5 rd extension. The "Wire" that holds the plastic extension on is very small in diameter if you can actually line it up how they want you to. You'd have to be very lucky for them to be installed right and then hope that they'd actually stay on.

Sorry Ace.

Fastshooter

• 2 weeks later...

I got 5 of the ACE +5's and installed 3 of them....a little tricky, but worked. What i did find is that they were actually +4's not really a +5.....but they do work and they seem to be secure. I used them at the CMMG match with out failure (now if I'd only oil my Bolt Carrier every now and then).

I did happen to get a few of the new CMMG followers and springs.......uhmmmm......they are GREAT. I now have 3 mags that seem to function like the HK mags......very, very smooth. I would highley recommend that follower, and the spring too!!

20 Rounders - D & H Teflon w/ Magpul Follower

30 Rounders - Labelle Teflon w/ Magpul Follower, D & H Teflon w/ Magpul Follower, HK Gen 2

40 Rounders - PMI w/ Magpul Follower

45 Rounder - DPMS

100 Rounder - Beta

I take all of the above with me to the matches and have used all of them at one time or another without any problems.

I tried the cheap 40 round steel mags which worked well for 1 year but the lips bent apart and it was double feeding. The PMI has been going strong for 4 years. I'm hoping C Products will come up with a good 40 rounder.

Edited by ERIC

I got 5 of the ACE +5's and installed 3 of them....a little tricky, but worked. What i did find is that they were actually +4's not really a +5.....but they do work and they seem to be secure. I used them at the CMMG match with out failure (now if I'd only oil my Bolt Carrier every now and then).

I did happen to get a few of the new CMMG followers and springs.......uhmmmm......they are GREAT. I now have 3 mags that seem to function like the HK mags......very, very smooth. I would highley recommend that follower, and the spring too!!

Try high temp wheel bearing grease from the auto parts store, works great and sticks around for a long time unlike the thin oils. Its also freaking cheap :D

Polytech

Bushmaster has a 40 round mag they are selling for around $25. I bought one about two weeks ago and have been shooting it a lot, and as to date it has functioned perfectly having had about 200 rounds run through it.

Bushmaster has a 40 round mag they are selling for around $25. I bought one about two weeks ago and have been shooting it a lot, and as to date it has functioned perfectly having had about 200 rounds run through it.

I bought 2 of the 40 round Bushmaster mags as well. Both function well, and are steel, not Aluminum. Bill T.

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried out a PMAG yesterday. The rounds would nose dive into the front of the mag. I also noticed they came up very slowly which is probably causing the nose dive issue.

I just tried out a PMAG yesterday. The rounds would nose dive into the front of the mag. I also noticed they came up very slowly which is probably causing the nose dive issue.

You may have gotten some of the early manufactured ones that need to be corrected by dremeling the front lip portion as shown on the PMAG website video. There was a recall on these early mags from magpul ( sorry, it looks like it ended JUne 1). How many others have mag that look like this or have had probelms with them before the fix or with the new updated ones? I am hopeful that these are going to replace my thermolds. Anyone really put these through the testing ringer yet?????

Guy Hawkins

You should alway's put a 45 degree bevel on the front lip of all ar-15 mags.

You have a pic you can post to show us what you mean Benny?

Problem is for PMAG March 2007 early production mags. Date code is below the mag catch = "03/07". Changes to the mold were done for April and later productions. "04/07 date coded and later should be fine...

PMAG exchange - Deadline June 1st 2007

PMAG DIY fix video

PMAG picture #1

PMAG picture #2