Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2002 USPSA Nationals

USPSA announced the dates and locations for the pistol nationals. So we've got the Street Gun Nationals for Limited 10, Production, and Revolver at PASA in July. In August we've got the Race Gun Nationals for Limited and Open in Oregon.

I confirmed with Michael Voigt this means you can shoot only one division at each event; they aren't back to back. You can't compete in both the Open and Limited national matches (as you could ever since, what, 1994?).

What does everybody think of this? Would you prefer the 2001 back to back single venue format or the earlier format of separate L and O dates and venues?

This format means the talent will divided among the two divisions. People are going to be wondering who is really the best shooter of 2002 if, say, Robbie and Travis shoot Limited while Todd and Jerry shoot Open.

Will the top sixteen be less prestigious with the talent spread out? Will Springfield want The Great One in Limited? Will Para want Todd in Open? How many of the top 16 in Limited 10 will be wide body or modular guns with down-loaded magazines?

I like the new format.  I think it's great that some of the up and comers will be able to hit the top 16 and not because TGO had a bad day, but because he chose to shoot in a different division.

I think it will not bring to question anybody's talent... just the opposite, it will bring more shooters to the limelight!

Limited 10 is NOT A SINGLE STACK DIVISION.  L10 is specifically for people that invested in hi-caps and can't use them because of their local gun laws.  I expect most of the top 16 to be wide bodies with downloaded mags.

I'm not a huge fan of the new format either. Personally, I'd prefer a separate Open and Limited match. I guess I just see L10, Revolver and Production as subsets of Limited.

But, I can live with the new format.

What I don't like is the overlap in dates between Area 3 and the Race Gun Nationals. Being an Open shooter from Area 3, it makes things a little difficult. Why can't they ensure there are no overlapping dates between major matches like Area Championships and Nationals?

And I agree, where the Hell is Bend, OR? I like Barry. It's only a 5 hour drive for me. :)

I like it, I don't think there will be any doubt as to who is the best shooter. I haveno doubt that maybe except for Robbie the top 16 in Limited 10 will be shooting hi cap frames downloaded, it is the way to go. Up here where we are mandated by law to 10 rounds everybody still builds a hi cap frame up. Para, STI/SVI etc.

It will be interesting to see who shoots what division, but thats how it was long ago, you bring what you got, I'd like to see it all in one match, Open, Limited, lim 10, production, rev. All shoot the same courses and you see how you do in your division, just like in Rally racing. All groups cover the same terrain, but compete in their division.

I may have to get a production gun just so I can go back to PASA (I've been there every year...at least once a year..since '96) its almost tradition...but Oregon sounds cool.

Pat

And I agree, where the Hell is Bend, OR? I like Barry. It's only a 5 hour drive for me.
:)

Well, Bend, OR is a 5 hour drive from me !  For the first in 5 years of attending Nationals - woooohoooooo is all I can say to that!  I'll be there - sent in my wait list request for slots today.

Quote: from Shooter Grrl on 8:33 pm on Jan. 3, 2002

And I agree, where the Hell is Bend, OR? I like Barry. It's only a 5 hour drive for me.

Well, Bend, OR is a 5 hour drive from me !  For the first in 5 years of attending Nationals - woooohoooooo is all I can say to that!  I'll be there - sent in my wait list request for slots today.

I've got you beat, Bend is only a three hour drive for me.

The format sounds OK to me.  Being from the great white north I would be shooting limited 10, and it would be interesting to shoot in the same division as Pat!  I hope he is up for the challenge.....:)

This may be a bit of thread drift, but never having competed in the US, let alone at the USPSA Nationals, how does someone get on the wait list?  

Whether you like the new format or not, it will be a huge shot in the arm for Lim10.  Don't think it will help production though.  The intent could be just that - do something to bring Lim10 into the limelight.  I think you will see most of the top shooters shooting Lim-10 with their limited guns.  Production will still be lagging way behind in the number of participants.  The real problem many are going to have is now deciding whether to shoot open or limited.  That decision will now become whether to shoot Lim-10 and open, or Lim10 and limited.  Interesting.

I see two intents in the new plan:

1)  To allow the top shooters to focus on the gun they will be using at the World Shoot.  To expect the top shooters to spend time working on both Limited, then Open, then use one at the World Shoot doesn't help the teams.  And, you can be designing stages for hi-cap guns.

2)  To give Lim 10, Production and Revolver a boost.  Again, course design also plays a part.  I think the GM's who shoot will all be in Lim10, so those looking for a fun time and less head-butting will look at Produciton and maybe even Revolver.

This may be a bit of thread drift, but never having competed in the US, let alone at the USPSA Nationals, how does someone get on the wait list?  

Here's a relevant discussion you can review http://www.brianenos.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard...=6&topic=50

Of course, the format stuff doesn't apply - but the part how the slots are earned does.

Kim's email is kim@uspsa.org - make sure you include your USPSA number in the request!

I'm not sure I can handle this kind of irony on a Friday...  I live 3 hours from Bend, but will be flying out the to Nationals to shoot Production.  I will still go to Bend just to watch the show.  

Stupid Question Time:

OK, I'm still not classified.  Don't ask me when I will be.  (How many crappifiers do I have to shoot before I'm ranked?)  Given all this, is there any chance of me "winning" a slot to the Nationals?  (yes, I AM cheap - thank you for asking)  Can an unclassified shooter even go?  

Also, what if I decided to buy a Limited or Open blaster?  Could I "buy" a slot to Bend while unclassified?  (Just to shoot it for giggles.)

Thanks!

Eric

P.S.

I kind of like the "Street Gun Nationals" concept.  It gives us our little day in the sun rather than making Prod/Lim-10/Wheelgun just a side show.  

Given all this, is there any chance of me "winning" a slot to the Nationals?  (yes, I AM cheap - thank you for asking)  Can an unclassified shooter even go?

No such thing as free slots - you gotta pay the match fee!  (There may be clubs/sections/areas out there that do PAY the fee for you - check with your locale!)

Unclassified shoots for overall placement only - but you've got time to get classified, it only takes 4!

And yes, you can buy slots - see previous posts reference to other discussion :-)

Production will still be lagging way behind in the number of participants.

I think I disagree with this - with the number of Glocks and Beretta's in people's closets - I think we'll see a fairly close split between L10 and Production.  Here locally, we regularly get more Production shooters over L10.  

Revolver class really needs a shot in the arm. Ya think this will turn out all those masses of rev shooters who've been sitting out the nationals?  I can't wait to see the stages at Quincy. The sport has turned a corner this year for sure.

JJ

I wish I could laugh about this I really do...........

• 2 weeks later...

In the thread http://www.brianenos.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard...47&start=20 TGO shamelessly drifted the thread with this...

Speaking of shooting, what is the consensus of the all mighty forum on the new way of splitting up the USPSA Nationals. Does anyone see how cool it can be to have a match designed around the equipment that is readily available at reasonable cost or do we all fear change and with it the chance for advancement?

Do you mean spinning off L10/Production/Revolver divisions to a separate event so people will actually shoot in those divisions? That's fine. The short history of those divisions has shown people are unwilling to go to the nationals to shoot them when Limited is another choice.

Some among us think L10 will be filled with Limited shooters using unreasonably expensive guns with not-readily-available magazines loaded with only ten rounds. In fact, I look forward to using said equipment to crush the dreams of single stack .45 shooters who think they are going to be competitive just because everybody has to reload now. I fully expect them to go crying to Sedro Woolley for a new division when they find a certain Springfield-sponsored shooter is the only single stack in the top sixteen at the Limited 10 Nationals.

My gripe is with the racegun nationals and its inevitable talent split among Limited and Open. Which will you be shooting?

The only thing that tweaks me about the split is the recent PC name change to "Factory Gun Nationals."  Booooring!!  This sport will never be politically correct, so why even bother with pandering to the Left?  

[Gripe Mode Off]

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

I think Erik is 50cal.gif'ing for TGO

...and I think TGO is nono.gif to Erik.

I fully expect them to go crying to Sedro Woolley for a new division when they find a certain Springfield-sponsored shooter is the only single stack in the top sixteen at the Limited 10 Nationals.

Well done Sir!

(I'm such an antagonizer, but with an entrance like he made, what the hell.  He knows we love him right?)

EricW, so you think they shyed away from "Streetgun" because of concealed carry connotations? I hadn't considered that.

Maybe it's just that most of the guns shot in L10 and Production aren't really "street" guns except for some uniformed LEOs who carry openly and a few concealed carriers who can manage to conceal a 1911 or a Glock 34.

Maybe it just has to do with market positioning. Maybe USPSA is letting the other guys cater to the street and defense and tactics portion of the market.

"Streetgun" just had a nice ring to it.  That's all.  USPSA had a "cool" venue with cool name and backed off.  It just feels like they're pandering to some special interest group.  It's not even the name I care about so much as that one gets the impression that they changed it in order to appease someone.