Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting a New Club

TDean

My area needs a good Practical Shooting Club.

What are the steps to start a club and shoot twice per month with classifiers?

Do you find an existing gun range, and "make a deal" with them.  How much profit % does the range usually make off the 15$ entry fee?  How much goes to USPSA?

What's the start-up costs for range equipment?

Figure 10 poppers, 10plates, 250 targets, wood, target stands.....ect?

Has anyone ever done this?

probably the most relevent question, IS IT WORTH IT!!?

Hmmm, maybe USPSA should have a stake in a start-up club, as long as a "rep" comes out to look at the range, and make sure it's a wise investment?

Hell I don't know....I just need to shoot more!

USPSA has a whole "Club Program" kit they can send you if you want to start a club.  

In answer to specific questions, most of what you ask is negotiable.  How much money the owner of the range wants, etc.  Most clubs in the Northwest Section, for example, have some percentage of match income that goes back to the parent club, some percentage goes to the USPSA club for targets, props, etc, and some goes to USPSA for match fees.  

Is it worth it?  Depends on whether you want to shoot USPSA matches there or not  ;-)   From my perspective, I'll do anything I can to help a club get off the ground - More clubs are a Good Thing as far as I am concerned.

You might want to touch base with Dwight Hughes, if you haven't already.  He's the SC for the Inland Empire section (eastern Washington and a couple clubs in eastern Oregon).  He can tell you what's normal in his section, and hook you up with people who can help.  Contact me off-line if you need more info.

Also, there is at least one independent club in the Spokane area (independent = not part of a section).... a club that shoots at an indoor range in Spokane (SharpShooters, I think)

Bruce

one of the local indoor ranges has an ipsc club that has been running matches once a month for a couple of years, the trouble they are having is they are making too much money

the other clubs that shoot at the range want a share of the profits,

(Edited by grassy knoll at 8:23 pm on Jan. 22, 2002)

Tdean,

All I can say is be prepared to do everything by your lonesome.  Our club is fairly large, but it's the same 4 guys setting up for every match, every week.  NOBODY will help them, and I mean NOBODY.  If I'm there, I always help set up even if I'm not going to shoot the match the next day.  I just feel sorry for those guys.  

Do it because you love it, but be prepared to strap on the ball and chain.  

E

Bruce, I'll look into that "kit" you speak of.

[someone-pissed-in-my-wheaties-mode-on]

BTW, I tried to contact Dwight regarding a classifier score that was never sent in, no response in 3 emails, but this should probably be posted in the "what bugs the crap out of me" forum.

Sharpshooting?,...it makes for decent practice.

As an indoor range, that's all that needs to be said.

Last time I was there, I paid $16 for 4 small stages without a classifier.  I wonder how much USPSA saw from that?

[/someone-pissed-in-my-wheaties-mode-off]

Erik, I'll check my back issues of the magazine, thanks.

Eric, I expected that.  

I really do think I would "love" it at first, but I wonder about the burn-out after a year or two....

in order  ;-)

1)  If you can't get the answer you need from your SC, let me know.  I can help.

2)  I just "happen" to have copies of the Area-1 activity reports in my office at home.  If you tell me the date of that 4-stage match, I can tell you whether USPSA heard about it... and we'd both learn something useful.

And, random thought.  There *used* to be an outdoor club called the Spokane Valley Rifle and Pistol club.  They are not currently affiliated, but if you are interested I can track down the names of the people who used to run it.  They could probably fill you in on what range they used, how they got started, etc.

Bruce

#1 and 2, I'll stay at a distance from these things for now.  I'm too young to be worrying about the politics of this sport. "...Just shoot the damn targets, help tape..and have fun!.." is my motto.  Thanks for offering your help though Bruce.

Spokane Rifle club is still there (next to the river), but they don't do Practical Pistol events that I'm aware of.  As a matter of fact I tried calling them today, no answer....I'll try tomorrow.

I'm gonna call Sedro about that "Club Kit"

Thanks again gents

• 2 weeks later...

I got a wild hair and decided to form a club last fall. It all started with myself and 2 shooting buddies. Now we are IPSC 45 and we have 20 active members and we are growing. Was it worth it? You bet. I was encouraged by a couple of folks in the USPSA office to write an article for Frontsight and it was discussed on this board, but I never got around to it.

So far we have fabricated 10 small pepper poppers, 10 large pepper poppers, 46 target stands (made out of 1 inch square tubing with 1x2 rectangular tubing for the uprights), 8 round plates with stands, three swingers, and two drop turners. I also built 6 walls with misc. ports and metal uprights to hold them. We also have several props. We have about $600.00 invested in materials. That's cheap considering the results.

We use a public range and they provide the storage space. We are very fortunate in that regard. Our insurance is $360.00 per year. We use timers that members own and two of my shooting buddies have been buying the targets, tape, and so on to get us started. As far as setting up and tearing down, we always have plenty of help and all of the members come early to help. I suppose that will change when the enthusiasm wears off.

We are venturing into 3 gun this spring so now we are building targets for rifle and shotgun. I am just about as happy pulling the trigger on a wire feed welder as I am pulling the trigger on a 1911. I really like to make stuff. :-)

Go for it TDean. There is nothing quite as gratifying as seeing a club come together. To me, supporting the shooting sports and doing what I can to promote shooting is more rewarding than the actual act of competing. Find yourself a shooter/welder, a shooter/carpenter, etc. and just do it...

(Edited by Ron Ankeny at 9:13 pm on Feb. 4, 2002)

Ron, that should be posted in front site!!!

Thanks for posting that info, that's the kinda stuff I was looking for!  

Hell I can weld steel, it's just the aluminum that kicks my arse...I want the "perfect swirls" but never get 'em....

I haven't contacted USPSA about the "packet" yet, but I will...soon.