Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ppc Barricade Technique

BigDave

I'm a right hand shot. Shooting on the right side, my left hand uses my thumb and top 2-3 knuckles pressed against the barricade to cup my right hand. Opposite for the left. It hurts to start out, but gives you a good rest. Make sure you stand very upright and relaxed to keep good bloodflow to your head and to keep for tensing up. I always tended to hunch down too low.

Any PPC shooters here? Can anyone detail the technique that PPC shooters use on the barricade? The one where they use the barricade for support?

TIA

Dave,

First do what is comfortable and what works for you, but here is what works for me in the PPC style as adapted for Bianchi.

PPC style varies slightly from shooter to shooter depending on comfort, or discomfort, wrist flexibility and other shooter preferences.

The PPC style which I would start with is simply this: If right side, then place the left hand knuckles against the barricade at approximately eye level, with fingers extending past edge of barricade. Then place the shooting hand with gun in that pocket formed by the open fist of the left hand. The left hand thumb, may or may not be touching the barricade depending on comfort. This position is very stable, but is usually most stable with some forward pressure against the barricade. The reverse for other side.

The start for PPC is hands at side. The start for BC using this position for me would be as follows: If right side, then left hand would be on right side near edge of barricade at height that it would be anyway while shooting. The right hand would be positioned lower on the barricade. On signal the left hand would then just have to turn over, and move slightly to the edge, the draw would occur then bring the gun to that spot. The opposite for the other side.

This method would do two things. One, you could have slight forward pressure on the barricade as that support hand is already at or near the final position that it will have. Two, by having that support hand already there, it will make it easier on the knuckles than it would be to smack the knuckles against the barricade with the gun already in hand.

The problem with the PPC barricade hold is that for the non-holster side, then it would require an exchange to "other" hand then position on the barricade, which could be too much to do in 5 or 6 seconds for the 10 & 15 yd lines. (PPC requires left hand left side, right hand right side). You may be better off to cant the gun for the non-holster side and place the support hand fingers against the barricade and run with that.

Good luck,

MJ

mj's first line say's it all.

I don't recommend using the post for a support, because most of the posts flop around.

The rule say that you must touch the post with a part of your arm. I put my support arm wrist, about 3" above the joint just kissing the post. Just don't let the gun touch the post.

mj's first line say's it all.

I don't recommend using the post for a support, because most of the posts flop around.

The rule say that you must touch the post with a part of your arm. I put my support arm wrist, about 3" above the joint just kissing the post. Just don't let the gun touch the post.

Repete,

Back in the PPC days, many would actually apply significant forward pressure against the barricade to take the "flop" out. In some cases the barricade which often was a vertical 2x6 would actually be bowed over quite a bit. Other ranges the barricade was a 1x6 bolted, nailed or screwed to an iron post of some kind. They often would not flex as much.

Perhaps they have changed the NRA PPC barricade language. I don't recall that contact had to be made with barricade. My recall was left side left handed, right side right handed and that the gun could not touch the barricade. I don't recall any of us 1490+ shooters who did not apply knuckle pressure to the barricade. Of course this was the revolver only days in the late 70's early 80's.

Beat your drums your way, as long as you like the sound you get!

MJ ;)

Edited by Allgoodhits

Big Dave should have clarified that he's asking the question in regards to the new Action Pistol rules change allowing Metallic Sight shooters to use the barricade, not for IDPA or a true PPC match. So "cover & support" aren't an issue here.

Alan~^~

fwiw (being a lowly 1480-ish shooter)

I take a normal two handed grip and then flip out my thumb (left for right side and right for left side) for some extra stability. Knuckles resting very lightly on the barricade.

Using left eye for left side and right eye for right side.

Trying to keep my head up and not hunching.

When shooting left side I push my hip out to the left (and to the right when shooting right side) so I get a stable position without having to lean out too much to the side.

Doing the same for both pistol and revolver.

Big Dave should have clarified that he's asking the question in regards to the new Action Pistol rules change allowing Metallic Sight shooters to use the barricade, not for IDPA or a true PPC match. So "cover & support" aren't an issue here.

Alan~^~

Thanks, Alan!

Dave,

My opinion only..but I assume that you will use a PPC technique at 25 and 35 - there is not enough time to get a good solid mount at 10 and 15. PPC has more than enough time. And the x ring is smaller in PPC which requires a "better, more solid" mount on the barricade.

I've found that the techniques are different with a revo and an auto. With an auto, the gun seems to move more since the slide is adding to the momentum. My best scores with an auto are by resting the top part of my support hand on the side of the barricade lightly to decrease any sight movement but not adding any pressure into the barricade. Revo..I used the knuckle busting thumb bending style.

We both know that adding pressure in one direction causes movement in the other direction when the force is decreased..ie recoil. Keep your technique as close to your freestyle platform as possible and pay more attention to trigger pull than the barricade.

I've seen people knuckling the post and had malfunctions due to the cylinder dragging on the post.

I recieved my PPC training from an RCMP firearms training officer who said never to rely on the post being solid.

I've gone to matches where the post was a 2x4 in a wooden stand and flopped like a seal.

I'm also a PPC instructor.

Edited by RePete

RePete,

Read the thread! This isn't about PPC shooting, but the Barricade event at Bianchi Cup. There is NO post, only a true barricade that is 2 feet wide and 6 feet tall made of steel and plywood. I admire that you're a PPC Instructor and the knowledge that you have in that discipline, but your "post" technique doesn't apply here, since there is no post.

Alan~^~

Any PPC shooters here? Can anyone detail the technique that PPC shooters use on the barricade? The one where they use the barricade for support?

TIA

Alan550:

The quote is the original topic (post #1).

Where is the Bianchi Cup mentioned?

:) Beat your drums your way, as long as you like the sound you get!

If the barricade is flimsy, wobbly or you just don't like, then use it only enough to comply with rules or your personal standard.

However, if the barricade is solid or you otherwise like it, then I would learn to utilize that support when permitted by rules, time allowances etc. To do otherwise may cause you to leave some points in the barrel. Either way learn to adapt.

Competing at high levels is all about adapting to the conditions of the event. Those conditions could be cold, hot, dry, wet, wind, back up gun, borrowed ammo, wrong glasses, flimsy barricade, gravel, mud, concrete, grass, flies, knats, girlfriend, wife, flat tire, "the runs", hangover or a list way to long to address.

I recall a time at a match, when some shooters were complaining about a list of problems, concerns etc, and what they were going to do about it. DOUG KOENIG said, "how about we just shoot". I thought that was perfect, and I have "tried" to operate with that concept, when I am not complaining of course!

Another old saying (pre-scope era) "If all else fails, try watcing the front sight, and work the trigger".

MJ ;)

p.s. Big Dave: Is that match possibility in or around Indy shaping up for the May 19-20.

Edited by Allgoodhits

fwiw (being a lowly 1480-ish shooter)

I take a normal two handed grip and then flip out my thumb (left for right side and right for left side) for some extra stability. Knuckles resting very lightly on the barricade.

Using left eye for left side and right eye for right side.

Trying to keep my head up and not hunching.

When shooting left side I push my hip out to the left (and to the right when shooting right side) so I get a stable position without having to lean out too much to the side.

Doing the same for both pistol and revolver.

There is nothing lowly about 1480! ;) Doesn't Master class start at 1478 or so? My recall prior to the High Master Class coming into existence which was about 1979 or 1980, the Master class begain at 1440.

Shooting 1480 in an official PPC match is a helluva accomplishment. For those who haven't tried it, they have no idea.

Congrats!

MJ

Alan~^~

Alan;

Sorry for any confusion, I was answering Allgoodhits question regarding NRA PPC Barricade rules. See here:

Perhaps they have changed the NRA PPC barricade language. I don't recall that contact had to be made with barricade.