Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Airsoft Alternative

Bill Nesbitt

About a year ago our own Barrettone had an article in Front Sight about IPSC airsoft. I thought it looked pretty cool and thought I would look further in to it. Then I forgot about it until someone posted a link to this video.

I showed the video to Sue. She said: "I think we need one of those". That sounded like orders from the boss to me. B) So I e-mailed Manny and a few days later we had our own Glock 17 airsoft and everything we needed to shoot it. :D

This is a gas blow back airsoft. That means the slide cycles just like a real gun. The recoil is less than our real Glocks with bunny fart loads but you still get the same feel. The trigger is very Glock-like. :lol: A lot of takeup then a 3 pound break. ;)

I made some pellet traps from cardboard boxes with the middle cut out and an old towel duct taped to the top so it drapes down to catch the pellets. I printed some 1/3 size IDPA targets off the net and fasten them to the box with pasters. The down zero circle is 2 1/2 inches. You have to run the sights and trigger to keep all shots in the down zero. :huh:

This gun is fun in it's own right whether you think it is training or not. I'm going to build some more pellet traps and I think there will be some "house clearings" around the Nesbitt household. B)

I have a "shooting range" set up in the reloading room. Whoever shot last leaves the mags loaded. We can go in, pick up the gun, run a few quality rounds in a few moments then go on about our business. It's fun. :D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another FYI. I know as USPSA shooters we never miss, but those plastic BB's ricochet, even off of cardboard. While performing my house clearing, I put one off the side of my "Bullet trap" off the sheet rock then off the plasma screen. It took a few minutes for me to get up the nerve to walk around the corner and check the screen.

Me and my Dad used to do airsoft guns to down in our rather large basement. We went to a buisness supply store and bought some one by two boxs and put layers of paper inside and a thin piece of paper on the front with a USPSA target printed on it. The pellets would stay in and could be re-used.

We also mounted the boxs on stands that we could configure to do awesome stages like in the video.

• 1 month later...

I'm jumping on the airsoft alternative to get back into IPSC.

The last time I shot a match was 11 years ago. I was a high "C" (open and limited) at the time. I did 99% of my live fire practice at an indoor range. No rapid fire during normal business hours when other customers were around. I was buddies with the range workers, so when it was empty and occasionally after hours I could do rapid fire.

The only times I could practice live fire draws were after hours at the range. The ex-wife didn't like that idea.

Last summer, I bought my daughter an airsoft gas blow back gun (Tokyo Marui Gov’t model). It was a lot of fun and it felt like it could be good practice for the real thing. However, since it had a plastic frame and slide, it’s a lot lighter than the real thing.

Now, I modified a Tokyo Marui Hi-Capa 5.1 to mimic my 38 Super racegun. Now I can practice draws, Bill drills, movement drills, etc. in my apartment. The airsoft also fits my Ghost holster just like the real thing.

I shoot the airsoft gun with propane gas to increase recoil (comparable to a .22). My custom airsoft weighs about as much as my STI (unloaded).

With the airsoft, at 7 yards, I can cover 5 shots with a nickel. I’ve got my Bill drills down to 2.14 sec (1.34 sec draw, 0.16 sec splits, clean). When I was competing with the real gun, I had splits of 0.17 sec. I don’t remember my draw times since I usually practiced from low-ready at the indoor range.

I havent’ shot my real steel racegun in over 2 years. I’m waiting on some 38 Super (major) ammo from Atlanta Arms, then, I’ll shoot the real steel to see if I’m anywhere close to the airsoft times.

Then the next step will be entering a local match.

At around $600 (base gun + mods), I could have reloaded 5000 rds and paid for an annual range membership. But the indoor, static, no holster, mostly slow-fire range practice does get boring fairly quickly and it’s not very effective for IPSC.

Here’s the details of my modifications.

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/index.php?showtopic=56446

Photo of real steel on top, airsoft on bottom:

all.jpg

Very nice... I bet you'll shoot better now than you did before. Gak, no rapid fire at the range? Maybe you need to explai you are not "rapid firing", but quicking aiming your shots. :)

We know the Airsoft way can work... it's been proven. ;)

Edited by Duane Thomas

I also bought one from Manny but never really took on training with it. I use a Kydex and the little orange safety doohicky hanging out the front prevents it from going all the way into the holster.

Watching that video clip makes me want to set up a match though...

I bought a Western Arms SV Infinity Expert from uncompany.com. I upgraded the slide to an aluminum slide.

+1 for using airsoft for IPSC practice. Although shooting a real gun is KING, being able to practice with an airsoft in the basement or garage offers many advantages.

I recently requested that benos.com add an airsoft forum for discussions like this. Hopefully they'll agree to add it.

Darren

I purchased one for my son to learn IPSC before actually competing and it worked great.

My only problem has been getting a timer to pick up the sound of the airsoft. I have a CED with the adjustable sensitivity at max and still will not work. Has anybody solved this?

I don't think the propane or metal slide increases the sound. ...During the winter I use the green gas in the basement because it's less smelly. The CED still picks up the sound. I really think you have something wrong with your timer or you need to play with the settings more. Which model do you have? I have the 8000:

http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=CED8000

Darren

I have the smaller CED7000 model. It has adjustable sensitivity and I have tried both extremes with no sucess. At the middle (default) setting it works fine at the IPSC matches with real guns but I can not get it to work at all with the airsoft.

Leo

I've also got the CED 8000. With the sensitivity set to max, during rapid fire it DOES NOT reliably record the shots when it's clipped to my belt. On slow fire, it will record all the shots. I think the reason is the cool down effect of the mag; each shot gets quieter on rapid fire.

To work reliably on rapid fire, I need to have the timer about a foot from my airsoft gun. So for static drills, I've got the timer hanging by my door way. For movement drills, I'll need a R.O. to follow me around.

So Darren, if your timer doesn't pick up the shots when it's a foot away, the timer probably needs to get fixed.

ExtremeShot, supposedly the only difference between Green Gas and Propane is that Green Gas has silicone added and Propane has the odor additive. So both should have very similar velocities and noise.

Yep I knew this. I only use the green gas in the house. ...it still stinks a little but not near as bad as propane. The other difference you left out is the price. :)

ExtremeShot, supposedly the only difference between Green Gas and Propane is that Green Gas has silicone added and Propane has the odor additive. So both should have very similar velocities and noise.

There are several places out there that sell the upgraded parts. In fact there was an article a while back, I think in Front Sight, about a guy that tested an airsoft gun. I think he may have gotten his upgraded gun from http://www.airsoftextreme.com ...I'm not sure.

I got all my stuff from www.uncompany.com . It's a company in Hong Kong. I didn't have any problems with them.

Darren

Where can you buy an upgraded Airsoft SV with the metal slide etc?
Edited by ExtremeShot

Where can you buy an upgraded Airsoft SV with the metal slide etc?

I would recommend www.dentrinity.com/ . They are also in Hong Kong.

If you buy the gun and parts at Dentrinity, you can have them do the upgrades. Dentrinity might also have a custom gun with the upgrades you want available for sale.

I also have a 7000, the only way I've made it work is to dangle the timer from the ceiling, a few inches away from the gun. It's interesting that it will barely pick up the airsoft, but it will pick up dryfire more easily. It probably has something to do with frequency as well as magnitude.

H.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm liking my KJW 226. Weighs the same as my 226GGI although this one has a rail (my GGI doesn't) and I have to "set" it in my CTAC for drills.

Airsplat DOTCOM has quite a selection from all steel gas to single spring to electric.

KJW.jpg

Edited by STUGOTSIG

I'm getting back into USPSA after a couple year break, and have been looking at airsoft for practice as well. Good info in the post here, but was wondering how you deal with the recoil differences between the airsoft and your real pistol.

I guess the difference is not as dramatic if you shoot open, but a limited gun will have much more muzzle flip / recoil. Is it a problem transitioning back and forth? Any ways to deal with this? Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread maybe I will start a new one.