Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Well the 2002 Florida Open is over and again, Frank put on a great match. It was a much harder match to shoot than most thought. Frank can lull you in to this by using the amoeba targets (smaller than normal IPSC targets) and giving you some longer shots and good stage design. Those who showed up to hose went home with lots of misses.

I got to see and meet Travis Tomasie there and also saw Paul Whitacre. Travis and Paul are both super nice guys and enjoyed talking to them.

I faired pretty good and can't really complain. I finished 5th Limited Overall, 2nd Grandmaster in class, and High Law Enforcement. There were some really good Limited shooters at this match. Thank goodness my gun ran perfect and shooting a new gun like I did, the FP10 really kept it oiled and working great.

Well Kevin you beat me to the post.  Congrats to you, great job.  I can't imagine shooting this match with iron sights.  This was probably one of the hardest matches I have ever shot.  Kevin is a class act and anyone who is willing to listen should take notes, cause this man can shoot those iron sights!!

Yeah, it was a good match. I didn't shoot well, but still had fun and learned some stuff. This is the first time I'd been, and I was surprised at the number of foreign shooters-- we had a guy from Norway on our squad and there were tons of shooters from Europe and South & Central America and even a few from Japan.

I heard a couple shooters say "it's an open gun match", although the longest shot I took was a wide-open target at 20 yards. There were also a few piles of tires, one of which caught me trying to sneak a bullet over it.

Unfortunately I had to skip out before the results were final (stupid Daytona 500 traffic jams..), so if anybody has a copy, let me know (I expect they'll be on the web site sooner or later). Thanks to my squadmates for making it fun and keeping everything running smoothly.

For future reference, the match was reasonably 10-round friendly, but not the least revolver friendly (I didn't see anybody shooting revolver). Nine field courses and one "speed shoot" wall with lots of holes in it. I brought 400 rounds and took 80 back home with me. The stages were 26 to 32 rounds each.

If I could change one thing, I'd want a match booklet with stages in it, but I'm pretty sure I'll be back regardless.

Paul,

Thanks for the praise, I really appreciate it. It was a much more difficult match than most thought.

TDean,

I think David Sevigny won Production, but the results are now up.

Shred,

I think in years past, (I've shot every one of the Florida Opens since it started) you used to get a match booklet, but it only briefly followed the actual stage. I don't follow the match book to often. I'd rather see the stage for real.

I agree with Kevin on this.  Usually the match booklet is far from what you actually get on a stage.  I've even found myself listening to other people who have shot the stage less an less.  I guess I trust my own eyes judgement more than anything else.  But I am open to ideas as well.

Yeah, I agree about the usual discrepancies with match booklets and reality, but here's why I (still) want one:

1- Some vague idea what the stages look like-- We got there around 5:30 Friday. We weren't allowed to do anything more than look from behind the ropes, which doesn't give you a lot of help in that match-- Lucky for us Rosie popped over on his 4-wheeler and gave us the scoop. People that were there Thursday or earlier Friday got to play on the stages.

At least once I've made a choice on which category to shoot based on a match booklet (that particular one had a lot of 7 & 8 round strings, making the revolver unattractive)

2- Remembering what the heck I shot-- I try to make little notes on the scoresheets about what worked and what didn't, but two weeks from now, I'd like to remember which was which when it comes to practice time.

3- Showing off to all my friends back home about how cool the match was.

• 3 months later...