Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firematt100

firematt100

OK I'm in.

This weekend at our local club match my brain failed me again. I can handle not having the physical ability yet, but the mental game should not be an issue.

Stage One:

Speed shoot

Three target array at about 7 yards. Draw engage right and left target freestyle then the middle target strong hand. Most ran this in 2-4 seconds. No problem right? Not for me...

BEEP... two shots right target....two shots middle target...OH S**T... two shots left target strong hand only. ALL WRONG ALL MENTAL. HIT FACTOR 0.0

No other penalties or misses the rest of the match. Hard to place well when you zero a stage

Maybe documenting my training and progress will help me to the next level. My current classification is Open C 56.26% Not far from B. My goal this year is MASTER. Aim High.

With three kids under 5 my range time is limited. I will be doing more dry fire and more reading to improve my mental game.

Any advice is appreciated.

BE SAFE

Edited by firematt100

Remember. This sport is 5% physical and 95% mental.

You didn't program the stage into your head. Likely because it was a simple speed shoot. No brainer right? But it's not. You still have to drill it into your head like every other stage.

Shoot with me at next month's match. I'll give you a hand. ;)

Yea yea, it's a tiny indoor range that they do a really good job of fitting 5 stages into. You gotta be a little flexible. ;)

ETA: Actually on that stage, you could have shot all 3 targets freestyle and then re-engaged the middle target with 2 shots stronghand.

Edited by Matt Cheely

And, since it hasn't been stated - the mental game is as much a learned skill as any of the shooting skills, and as such, it requires practice and application - for almost everyone, its not something that's "not an issue" :lol: It also encompasses much more than just shooting a stage - your goals, practice discipline, attitudes about yourself and your shooting, etc, all combine to make up the full spectrum of the mental aspects (and all of those things tie into one another - you can't really leave one part out....).

Starting your range diary here is a great first step :)

To address the specific problem you had this weekend, you might try some visualization exercises, for starters. What Matt says is very true, and its the same thing I'd think, too - you didn't get the stage straight in your head before you shot it... Personally, I need to work a stage over in my head until I can run it in my head at hyper speed and not make any mistakes. Short stages like that one usually require a lot less time than long ones, but I still need to do it in order to avoid mistakes and to perform without hesitation....

And, since it hasn't been stated - the mental game is as much a learned skill as any of the shooting skills, and as such, it requires practice and application - for almost everyone, its not something that's "not an issue" :lol: It also encompasses much more than just shooting a stage - your goals, practice discipline, attitudes about yourself and your shooting, etc, all combine to make up the full spectrum of the mental aspects (and all of those things tie into one another - you can't really leave one part out....).

Starting your range diary here is a great first step :)

To address the specific problem you had this weekend, you might try some visualization exercises, for starters. What Matt says is very true, and its the same thing I'd think, too - you didn't get the stage straight in your head before you shot it... Personally, I need to work a stage over in my head until I can run it in my head at hyper speed and not make any mistakes. Short stages like that one usually require a lot less time than long ones, but I still need to do it in order to avoid mistakes and to perform without hesitation....

If I used one word to describe how I feel when I shoot it would be HESITATION. It's like a golf practice swing, all day you can look like Tiger Woods with no ball on the ground. Put a ball down and you look like Rodney Dangerfield. I feel the same way after the BEEP.

Also, This weekend I had a huge problem finding the DOT. Again in dry fire I always see it. After the beep it is like someone turned it off.

Hi Matt.

You are in the same place I was about a year and half ago. It is frustrating I know , But I know you can get thought it. The thing I believe that got me through it was I started to shoot alot more with Cam and Tom. You all ways see us busting on each other that is more of a relaxing thing ( a relaxed mind and body is a receptive mind and body ) then any thing else in my opinion. The first key is to relax then every thing will start to come together.

Like Matt said if you want start squadding with Matt , Tom and myself we would be more then happy to help you out. We are all pushing each other one will just make it better.

Hi Matt.

You are in the same place I was about a year and half ago. It is frustrating I know , But I know you can get thought it. The thing I believe that got me through it was I started to shoot alot more with Cam and Tom. You all ways see us busting on each other that is more of a relaxing thing ( a relaxed mind and body is a receptive mind and body ) then any thing else in my opinion. The first key is to relax then every thing will start to come together.

Like Matt said if you want start squadding with Matt , Tom and myself we would be more then happy to help you out. We are all pushing each other one will just make it better.

Thanks so much. That is one thing I love about this sport, everyone wants to help each other get better. No egos! I will be shooting with you guys next month so keep you head down.

Thanks,

Matt

Training report: :huh:

Been without an open gun for a week or so. New one will arrive Tuesday from Dan Bedell.

I have been working with my limited gun in the meantime.

Reloads and sight picture.

Kids have been sick so by bed time I have had it for the day.

Last open match shot I had real trouble finding the dot on the draw and going to weak hand. In practice I find it every time no problem. In a match I look like a blind man searching for the little red dot.

I am going to try to live fire on Saturday with the Limited gun.

As always any advice would be great.

• 3 weeks later...

New gun arrived last week. Sweet! This one doesn't have a thumb rest like the last one. Still getting used to that.

Shorty does seem easier to transition. Not as much gun out in front of me.

Been working hard on finding the dot every time in the same place. Still hard to find the time with the kids.

I will be shooting with Matt Cheely and the boys next weekend at our monthly match. I hope some of the greatness will rub off. The benefit of doing the STATS is that I get to pick what squad I shoot in.

I am going to video my stages next weekend and post some here for input. Please be kind in advance. They say the camera adds 10 lbs. I hope its the same with height. Maybe I will look 6' tall. Wishful thinking!

I'm glad you're doing this Matt. I need to do the same. Be sure to post the vids. I'd like to see the progress you've made since I saw you last year. Good luck this weekend! See you in MI in May.

Jason