Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'll 'splain it in another thread. I may need to borrow some cash at Quincy.

Actually, like last year, the stages are gameable. If they are going to go to the effort of staking down fault lines, why can't they bother to write "from shooting area only" or "from behind fault lines only?" I want correct-to-the-letter course descriptions at the premier events! They owe it to us. USPSA, take my $250 and hire a proofreader.

You must have seen a drop turner... a target that is initially invisible, appears briefly, then disappears. Also known as a gravity turner. (Some actually drop in their action, some don't.) Some schmuck somewhere made drop turners that have more than one exposure, which means real Misses, not circle-mikes, even though they disappear.

Bobbers are like swingers on a Y axis only, up and down vertically, usually much slower than swingers. They are usually half-targets or less, with the lower part hardcovered with black.

Thanks for the link.

There’s a difference between scoping the stages in the morning vs. practicing them for a month. Most people will disagree with me and take comfort in seeing the stages beforehand, because they’re afraid of the unknown.

One thing I found appealing about this sport, is that it doesn’t favor the twit who has the time and money to practice the actual stages. Why? Because you didn’t know what you’d encounter. Preparing for the unknown is a craft unto itself.

This is almost like turning it into the freakin’ Bianchi Cup! I refuse to look at the stages.

I’m glad to see that Brian agrees. L-10, a step forward. Publishing National stages, a step backward.

They also started letting competitors onto the range during registration.  I think that was a step forward.  It went a long way toward fixing the problem that xcount spoke of.

I see your point about not publishing the stages beforehand, but I think the standards are the only stages affected.

We need a better solution than allowing just a few competitors to see the stage designs before the match.

Seems to me that its all or nothing, and nothing is more trouble than its worth.

Rich, your sig doesn't jive - you have good info

I agree, allowing viewing during registration is a step forward. A word about Mike V, and him being the only competitor to view the stages: he has so many distractions at the match, that this wouldn’t even come close to giving him a leg up. Personally, it would not bother me in the least if he were the only one to preview.

I don’t see many disadvantages to keeping the stages a surprise until we all arrive. Besides the standards (which is completely ridiculous), the preview also allows a competitor to shape his/her training; start positions, single-hand propensity, target types, steel arrays etc. This is not in the spirit of practical pistol. You're now rewarding the individuals who have more opportunities.

The shooters who are new to Nationals may feel that this is a luxury, but they’re really missing out, IMHO. I hope the shooters who are practicing the stages really kick my ass, because I refuse to do so, and you won't have an excuse!

This is a dumbing down of the sport. Next they’ll be using classifier stages at the Nationals; that way you can practice it all year round.

I believe I was born at least 10 years too late. Not only did I not get to see Hendrix and Greeny play, but I missed the glory days of IPSC!

Hey Rolex!  Timex here.  Well said!  After that Limited 10 Nationals article in Front Sight, I figured there would something like that standards stage at last year's Nats.  I didn't figure there would hard cover in it!  That's going to be a bear!!  (big bear)  While scrolling through to find that stage, I saw some of the others.  I don't think any amount advance set-up or practice will give any significant advantage.  You're still going to beat up on all of us!!   Looking forward to seeing you, buddy.

I think it was the 2000 LimNats in PA where I heard some malcontent whining that TGO got the stage designs ahead of time from his buddies at USPSA, set up the stages at Rio Salado, and ran through them every which way looking for the best ways to shoot them. Uh huh, right.

Anybody who has designed and/or built a field course knows they never end up like they were on paper. They are so different they aren't worth practicing.

But putting the standards up is an invitation to practice them until you are knee deep in brass. At least they didn't give the par times for the Fixed Time stage.

Timex! Or should I say Razor-Slayer ;) If there's hardcover on the standards, that just means you'll beat us even worse on it than last year. Keep up the great work bud, and I'll see you soon! Oh, I finally got in at the Ranch.

Storm-  Talk about cheesy! A guy spends that kind of bread to go to a match, he should at least get fresh stages to shoot.

Rich- you might be able to make a buck or two with that kind of knowledge ;)

Erik- arbitrating sucks dude. Spend the money on taking a class from Phil instead.