Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Guide Rod Do I Have?

knightkrawler00

I traded a stock G17 guide rod for an aftermarket captured metal one today, not sure which springs will fit it.

It measures .225" at the front, steps up to .263" an inch from the rear, appears to be made of stainless steel. The spring tapers down at the rear and is held together by a black allen headed screw. It weighs 365 grains with spring, versus 161 grains for the stock rod and spring.

What springs will fit this rod?

I would suggest an ISMI spring at 13lbs. On my G34 I have 4 coils cut...but that is only because it helps my gun reliably cycle with my 129pf loads. I would not recommend cutting coils if it's not needed.

Thanks. I had heard there were issues with the ISMI springs not fitting on some guide rods, though.

This was the main reason that I was asking.

That's new to me...I just measured the thickness of my ti guiderod and it's .245 inches.

Are you able to post a pic of your guiderod?

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

I make some of my guide rods from 1/4" dia stainless rod. The Wolf and ISMI springs fit fine. The stock Glock springs will not fit on a .250" guide rod. They require something close to 6mm but if I want a stock spring I just install a factory spring-guide rod assembly.

Keith

I would suggest an ISMI spring at 13lbs. On my G34 I have 4 coils cut...but that is only because it helps my gun reliably cycle with my 129pf loads. I would not recommend cutting coils if it's not needed.

Hmm, 135 PF seems to run fine on G-35 with a 13lb ISMI spring. Pharaoh, does 129 make much of a difference in terms of recoil?

Hmm, 135 PF seems to run fine on G-35 with a 13lb ISMI spring. Pharaoh, does 129 make much of a difference in terms of recoil?

If it works for you, by all means go for it. 3.3 grains of VV320 and a 147 PD bullet makes 129-131 out of my G34, and runs flawlessly. I don't worry about not making minor, and have yet to hit a popper that didn't go down. A full powered recoil rod gives me limp-wrist jams.

Again, ymmv