Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane

Thanks for the advice Bill.

Attention Coach and Dave (hubby) my training partners:

You guys have shot every major match with me and also shot Nationals with me last year. Is there any doubt in your mind that I will be able to perform my best at Nationals?

I'm not asking this for myself because I already know the answer. I'm asking it for the benefit of others.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual he is right.

Send this in a letter to my wife, will ya??? :D heh heh...

I didn't have the 3 foot spread between the targets :lol::lol: So...in an effort to come away with something positive, I added .30 sec x 4 (1.20 sec) to my 5.88 to account for transitions and came up with a 7.9096HF which is still better than what I did with my Open gun in May.

And truth is - the extra distance probably didn't add that much to the transition - prolly half that...

I'm thinking about going to my eye doctor again. She switched me to disposable lenses this year. I think I see better in the non disposable!

One thing to check out - I've played around with various contacts for shooting purposes. The standard disposables don't do it for me, either. Not sharp enough. I shot with RGPs for a while - AWESOME sharpness, but trying to wear them all day in the heat and all just doesn't work for me. It seems that silicone hydrogels are a decent compromise - sharper than standard disposables, but much more comfortable than RGPs... Something to consider, anyway - they last for a month, then you discard them and use a new pair. So, kind of in between in how long they last, too.

That said, when its really nasty around here - hot and humid, in the 100 degree range - even these won't last all day for me. My contacts "fog over" and my eyes get really uncomfortable. I'm strongly considering picking up a prescription Oakley lens in VR-28 for my M-Frames for those sorts of days. Eventually, I'll probably get my eyes "fixed", but until then.... ;)

Nationals stages are up...I've looked...I'm not afraid. B) Why do I hear Yoda's voice in my head saying..."You should be"??? :D

:D

I have no doubts what you are capable of doing. I have stated it before and put it in print. I saw what you did last year at nationals and I know it was good, but I believe the best is yet to come. If you think it is going to come together at nationals then I would not bet one dollar against it. I am pulling for you all the way. Just do it!

Attention Coach and Dave (hubby) my training partners:

You guys have shot every major match with me and also shot Nationals with me last year. Is there any doubt in your mind that I will be able to perform my best at Nationals?

None whatsoever.

Jane

Expectations can destroy a performance.

Don't want to hijack a thread, but what do you mean by this?

Yea its Janes thread but,

If you shoot with a "I gotta win X class" Or " I gotta burn down that stage in 4 seconds" This is a form of trying. Its one of those hurdles for a person that seems to be able to do well in shooting, except in a major match. Do or just shoot and leave the expectations or trying to your competition.

This not to be confused with a confident attitude. You should believe you are a great shooter and are prepared to win. Positive thoughts help win matches.

The game is a lot of mental hoops and this is where sports performance books and tapes can help. I just kinda sensed from Jane's post that she was ready for some of that stuff.

Jane

Expectations can destroy a performance.

Don't want to hijack a thread, but what do you mean by this?

The game is a lot of mental hoops and this is where sports performance books and tapes can help. I just kinda sensed from Jane's post that she was ready for some of that stuff.

Forgive me Bill :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: LMAO

Bill,

What Jane is trying to say is that she likely has Lanny Basham's audio book committed to memory. I'm fairly certain that it is on the regular play list in each of their vehicles.

DP

Jane - try shooting with a hangover once. Seriously. I'm not talking about a bad one, but more like one of those "I shouldn't have stayed up for that last two at 2 AM." kinda hangovers. Really, though, think about it.

Looks like a good match to me. good Job! Keep it up.

WVPPS August 2007

Match Date: 8/19/2007

Combined divisions - These are NOT official results.

Place Name USPSA Class Division PF Lady For Age Points Mtch%

1 Sample, Larry L2879 A Open Major N N Super Senior 429.3520 100.00%

2 Zamberlan, Ryan A57378 B Limited Major N N 407.6925 94.96%

3 Pluimer, Dave FY45672 B Limited Major N N 404.5314 94.22%

4 Ball, Jane TY48271 C Limited Major Y N 361.0537 84.09%

5 Bright, Aron A51967 B Limited 10 Major N N 355.4951 82.80%

6 Coomer, Darrell A13915 B Limited 10 Major N N 353.3286 82.29%

7 Ball, David TY43169 B Limited Major N N 322.5432 75.12%

8 Baugh, Jerrod A58712 U Production Minor N N 311.5234 72.56%

9 Ball, Jackson A55003 C Limited Major N N Junior 302.2889 70.41%

10 Kelly, John A58193 U Limited 10 Major N N Senior 297.6275 69.32%

11 Bjork, Chuck A58119 U Limited Major N N 286.7041 66.78%

12 Thompson, Mike TY47555 B Production Minor N N 280.5856 65.35%

13 Martens, Jacob A52987 B Limited Major N N 268.9620 62.64%

14 Snyder, Everett U Limited 10 Major N N 260.3721 60.64%

15 Cooper, Ron A53701 D Limited Major N N Senior 250.4953 58.34%

16 Pierce, David A55127 C Single Stack Major N N 240.9854 56.13%

17 Cottrill, Joshua U Production Minor N N 237.6204 55.34%

18 Newgent, Brad A57589 C Production Minor N N 236.9468 55.19%

19 Shoemaker, David A57546 D Production Minor N N 229.9773 53.56%

20 Clawson, Ryan U Production Minor N N 206.9987 48.21%

21 Shei, Chun-Yu A58873 U Production Minor N N 189.8177 44.21%

22 Collings, Brad A57222 C Production Minor N N 188.8520 43.99%

23 McCown, Barry A37117 U Limited Minor N N 184.9750 43.08%

24 Turner, Bill A57516 D Production Minor N N 181.1583 42.19%

25 Adair, Nathan A59780 U Production Minor N N 171.7526 40.00%

26 Barnes, Doug FY28428 C Limited 10 Major N N Senior 169.7038 39.53%

27 Paige, Martin U Open Minor N N 169.0578 39.38%

28 Mortier, Noel A58683 U Production Minor N N Super Senior 161.7230 37.67%

29 Bryant, Michael U Production Minor N N 158.7118 36.97%

30 Doan, Glenn TY48292 D Production Minor N N 143.5328 33.43%

31 Griffin, Adam A58717 U Production Minor N N 141.4755 32.95%

32 Russell, Daniel A58879 U Limited 10 Major N N 140.5483 32.73%

33 Mortier, Mark A56779 D Production Minor N N 140.4368 32.71%

34 Howard, Anton TY58610 C Production Minor N N 138.9463 32.36%

35 Everly, Joe A28906 D Production Minor N N 133.9098 31.19%

36 Baugh, Jason U Production Minor N N 111.5653 25.98%

37 Reske, Scott Pen U Production Minor N N 110.2685 25.68%

38 Rhoades, Jonathon Pen U Production Minor N N 107.3943 25.01%

39 Thompson, Brian U Limited Minor N N 106.0034 24.69%

40 Bear, Mike U Production Minor N N 93.7029 21.82%

41 Pace, Mike L2860 D Production Minor N N Senior 68.7012 16.00%

42 Ball, Bryan U Limited Major N N Junior 62.6616 14.59%

43 England, Greg Pen U Production Minor N N 58.4739 13.62%

I see a little light at the end of the tunnel. :D Today was significant. I've made some progress forward with my limited gun.

Spoke to my eye doctor this past week. Ciba soft non disposable contacts on order and should be picked up next week. I know I can see with those. I'm looking forward to having my old lenses back.

Dave said on the ride home I'm a better limited shooter than I was but not the shooter I'm going to be in another couple of weeks ;) I love him :wub:

The plan is to continue on...dry fire...live fire.

I see a little light at the end of the tunnel. :D Today was significant. I've made some progress forward with my limited gun.

Spoke to my eye doctor this past week. Ciba soft non disposable contacts on order and should be picked up next week. I know I can see with those. I'm looking forward to having my old lenses back.

Dave said on the ride home I'm a better limited shooter than I was but not the shooter I'm going to be in another couple of weeks ;) I love him :wub:

The plan is to continue on...dry fire...live fire.

:cheers: Nice Job Jane! :)

Great Job there Jane ...... Obviously David took it well, if he was offering constructive advice on the car-ride home ;)

Keep it up ...... you can literally say that you are getting better everytime you go shoot!

BTW are you shooting the Ohio State match next month ?

Jane -have Dave re-run he results without your penalties and see what kind of change it would make in the overall. See if that gives you any insight. - DP

PS - I'm waiting (not really) patiently for my copy of the results. I want to know where I lost that .7x% that kept me out of the #1 spot in Limited. <_<

We'll be at Ohio in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to a great match!!

I already have a hunch where I'd be without the mikes. :D The mikes will be going away soon. I know why they are there. It's a normal progression. I've gone from having mikes because I couldn't see to having mikes on transitional targets. NORMAL STUFF! I know exactly where I am and how to fix it cause I've been here before. No worries. ;)

Jane, if your still shooting C class limited in OH I got some words of encouragement for ya. My fiancee looked at who I was shooting against and said, "your gonna get beat by a girl!"...Gee thanks hun :-) See ya there and good luck.

OH and tell Dave I promise not to cause any trouble at this match, and I never did get my happy meal :-)

Edited by steel1212

Jane, if your still shooting C class limited in OH I got some words of encouragement for ya. My fiancee looked at who I was shooting against and said, "your gonna get beat by a girl!"...Gee thanks hun :-) See ya there and good luck.

OH and tell Dave I promise not to cause any trouble at this match, and I never did get my happy meal :-)

Nah....you're not gonna get beat by a girl....you're gonna get beat by a woman.....W-O-M-A-N...I'll say it again. :lol: OK I'm singing that song in my head right now....bring home the bacon...fry it up in a pan...etc...

I'm just joking around. Best of luck at the Ohio match! :cheers:

Post Proned

Why do we have to shoot pistols in the prone position? Is it really necessary for me to slam my body down to the ground to take shots at 50 yards with a pistol? I guess USPSA thinks so. So I went to Target and bought me a 3/4 inch rubber matt to slam my body down on. I shot some rounds down range at 50 yds, 35 yds and 25 yds. I figured out what my sight picture needs to look like. I was in the A at all yardages. I also worked on weak hand on the move, strong hand on the move, and weak hand draw off table. There are going to be some DQ's at Nationals....I'm not going to be one of them. B)

How far do you think the prone shots are going to be on Stage 17 "Garden City Alley"? I'm thinking 25 yards...what do others think?

http://www.nroi.org/nationals/downloads/stagebinder.pdf

How far do you think the prone shots are going to be on Stage 17 "Garden City Alley"? I'm thinking 25 yards...what do others think?

If i remember correctly bay 17 is huge so it could be out to 50 yds. :surprise:

The back bays are, IIRC, 60 yards deep. The front bays are 30 yards deep. I think the measurements are up somewhere. We had some prone at the Open this year, but they weren't longer than, like, 15-20 yards? But it was in a smaller bay, so...

I would say - expect and prepare for the worst (50 yards), and if its that far out, you know you've got it. If its closer, you know you've got it ;)

Prone is just another one of those basic skills, really (like strong hand, weak hand, etc) - people don't like getting down in the dirt much, so we don't see it all that often anymore. Learning how to go prone well can save some time - cause most folks don't (I'm not that hot at it, either... but it happens so infrequently that I haven't really worked it all that hard, either). Another thing to throw in, at some point, is to try out some prone reloads ;) You may eventually see one - nothing to work the hell out of, but try it out once or twice for giggles...

Know, too, that by doing this work, you are far more prepared than most of your competition ;) Take every advantage you can get (and I know you will ;) ).

I'll throw this out too ---- practice these odd skills in proportion to how they occur in the match, and to how much practice time you have left. Obviously you want to feel comfortable, and know where you need to aim to assure solid hits --- but after that move on.....

For these skills --- SHO, WHO, Prone --- live fire was usually far more valuable than dryfire, because I actually needed to develop slightly different aiming/holding points on the available scoring zones. Gettin into prone position quickly is probably the only that really benefits from dryfire. Make liberal use of the safety area for one handed dryfire on those stages.....

Having worked the prone stage at the Open Nationals several things come to mind. Don't let the gun hit the ground, saw a few jams from mags longer than the frame. Decide if the pouch you are landing on could break if there is or isn't a mag in it and do you want to land on a mag. Can you get the sight picture you want proped on your elbows or is it better to roll onto the shoulder and shoot straight down the arm. Several great shooters had different methods of getting prone so you need to find the one that works best for you then practice it a few hundred times slick (no equipment) then with the equipment.

Don't let the gun hit the ground, saw a few jams from mags longer than the frame.

Better yet - test all your mags and see if you have one or more that won't jam the gun up when you rest the gun on the mag.... I have two. The gun is far more stable for long shots when rested on the ground, and will recoil much more consistently ;) If you don't have a mag that fits the bill, look into it later, and follow LeRoy's advice...

Decide if the pouch you are landing on could break if there is or isn't a mag in it and do you want to land on a mag.

Yeah, no thanks :D That hurts... When I have to go prone, I do make sure that my front pouch is empty.... that's good advice.

Better yet - test all your mags and see if you have one or more that won't jam the gun up when you rest the gun on the mag.... I have two. The gun is far more stable for long shots when rested on the ground, and will recoil much more consistently ;) If you don't have a mag that fits the bill, look into it later, and follow LeRoy's advice...

My preference is to have a flush fit magazine so I can plant my mag well on the ground.