Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane

Way to go Jane. I hope you burn them down this year. You have the tools and the drive.

I hope this year it all comes together for you.

MIKE..........

Who gets the open gun next? David or Jackson.

The only time I'll get to touch the open gun is to test the loads for Jane and Jackson . . .

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gunsmith says....6 more hours to finish the gun. If I get it by March 1st I'll be happy. :)

It will be a 38 super comp...no chrome....long and strong. I'll have it chromed when I'm sure it's the way I want it. Right now I don't care what it looks like. I don't care whether it shoots violent or if I have the perfect load. All I care about is that I have a gun that goes BANG.

Jackson is already calling this gun his. I hate it when the puppy nips at your heels.

Going to break out the video camera this week in my dry fire practice. Need to take a good hard look at myself.

Goals for this week: pester the gunsmith until he finishes my gun, dry fire with the video camera, continue to "walk the gun" and learn.

Thanks Dave and Mike for just being you. You both know I'm more than a bunch of words on a web site. Thanks for the encouragement.

Gunsmith says....6 more hours to finish the gun. If I get it by March 1st I'll be happy. :)

Sweeeeet!!!!!

It will be a 38 super comp...no chrome....long and strong.

That's a proven, good place to start. Ports or no?

Jackson is already calling this gun his. I hate it when the puppy nips at your heels.

My mother used to warn me that I was not too old to spank..... :lol:

Goals for this week: pester the gunsmith until he finishes my gun

I have learned that, if one can learn the gunsmith's beverage of choice, a well timed case of said beverage can many times grease the wheels.... ;) If you're remote, you can usually find someone local to assist you in delivering said beverage.... :lol:

Goals for this week: pester the gunsmith until he finishes my gun, dry fire with the video camera, continue to "walk the gun" and learn.

Called my gunsmith on Friday and left a message. He sent an email to clear up some invoice billing stuff. I think it's real close.

I did video tape my dry fire session. My gifted 14 year old son is helping me make it look cool. Hope to post it soon.

Had the chance to do some live fire this week. I'm not going to post video of it because there wasn't anything really special to show ya all.

Feb 23, 2007

Live Fire Practice with video

Temp 38

Sunny

Snow on ground

Total round count (239)

Group shooting

Free style 10-15-25 yds (36)

SH at 15 yd (12)

WH at 10 yds (12)

10 yd work

Draw with one shot (12)

Draw with 2 shots (12)

Draw SH (12)

Draw WH (12)

One shot/2 targets with reload (24)

2 reload 2 (24)

One shot/4 targets with reload (24)

7yd work

One shot draws with par timer (11)

Bill drills (24)

I haven't had live fire practice since Jan 10th (that's 6 weeks). My group shooting was disappointing. I really think it is because I haven't been behind a live firing gun for awhile. I was pleased that I got some good 7 yd draws…fastest was 1.11. I believe I will get a 1 sec draw at 7 yds consistently and that I will be able to get a 2 sec bill drill. It's going to happen. I wasn't seeing the timing of the gun today. Again I think from lack of being behind the gun. So in a nutshell…today was not my best and that is OK. It was good to get back on the range. I used the video camera. I need to desensitize myself to the camera so that it can be an effective training tool. I'm still a little nervous that the camera is watching me. Using the camera to train is also time consuming! I think it will get better the more I use it.

Mental Management

Body image

This is the post where I reveal myself. For those of you who don’t know me this is the big “ta da” moment. The video camera has been my nemesis for some time. The way I look on camera is not the way I feel when I shoot. When I shoot I feel beautiful, sexy, powerful, confident, unleashed, and free. However, the image on the camera doesn’t say that about me. It’s such a paradox. I’ve come to the conclusion that there is no hiding who I am when I shoot. Shooting has allowed me to explore and accept some things about myself that I've been resistent to. I don’t shoot because is makes me look good. I shoot because it makes me feel good.

Dry Fire

I wanted to explain some things before you watch the video.

The stance: Some may say I have an over exaggerated knee bend. I have found by keeping my knees soft and bent like that I can absorb recoil better. It also looks like I have something stuck up my derriere. I’m bent slightly forward at the waist for the same reason…recoil control. I have my weight on the balls of my feet. You can judge for yourself when you see me shoot live fire if it is effective.

Weight lifting gloves: OK I know I look like a mall ninja! It’s embarrassing. Here’s the deal with the gloves. I bought my first STI limited gun from my mentor. The limited gun did not fit my hand. Because I didn’t know any better I just put up with it. My hands developed calluses where the gun was rubbing me. I was informed by the ladies at Ladies Camp I didn’t have to put up with an ill fitting gun. They told me a gunsmith could reduce my grip and take off the burrs that were hurting me. So I had my grip reduced and stippled, the burrs taken off, and my gun re chromed. When I got it back the grip was smaller, but the stipple job was TOO smooth. I was having trouble keeping a good grip on the gun. SO I sent the grip off to Jim Shanahan and had him work on it. It came back to me with a very rough finish, which I like, but it was causing me pain to hold on to the gun. Does this story sound like Goldilocks?? So I put on the weight lifting gloves and voila…I have a great, non-painful grip on the gun. It feels awesome. I was watching the 3 GM DVD and Saul said something that has made me feel better about wearing the gloves. He was talking about how he builds up his grip so that it fits into the palm of his hand. That was a big “light bulb” moment for me. You see the weight lifting gloves have the palms padded which gives me a better grip on the gun. Saul is building up the grip on his gun. Jane is wearing padded palms. It creates the same result! The gloves stay on until I find something better. Go ahead and call me a mall ninja and snicker behind my back. In the meantime, I will have a great grip on the gun and will be shooting without any subconscious pain.

My dry fire glasses: I took the lens out of the left side of my shooting glasses to expose my dominant eye. The dry fire range in the basement is dark and I didn’t like looking through the glasses. My right eye has scotch tape to the lens. I also wear a visor in the basement because of the glare from the fluorescent light.

What I’m working on:

The Draw

Drawing by going down on the gun. This is how Max does it. I have found that if I am more aggressive on the bottom of the draw (by going down on the gun) I can be more aggressive on the top. I have been drawing the gun using more of a wrap around technique. I have to really think about going down on the gun. In my dry fire video I caught myself doing it both ways.

The Reload

I have a bad habit of bringing the gun down on the magazine instead of pushing the magazine up into the gun. I’m working on this. You probably will see me do it on the video.

Movement

To shoot the dot with movement I’m convinced that I need a consistent hold while moving with the gun. I’m thinking palm down at high ready or chest level is the way to go. Side to side movement palm down is pretty natural, but forward movement is a challenge. You’ll see I’ve got a long way to go.

That’s it. I’ve enclosed some bloopers. A little public humiliation is good for the soul.

http://video.google.com/videouploadfinishe...5de22bfcc604a00

WOW! Slow-mo and everything. I need to try this editing thing. Maybe I will make a Music video! Great work on everything I think you have to be the most organized person on this diary thing! Even Bloopers!!! Great!!!!

Get a hat cam!!!

Edited by theknightoflight

First - it takes courage to post video ;) As the public diary tends to show what your head space looks like, the video shows where you're at physically with the skills. Hopefully, it will help you with your confidence about yourself, too, as a sort of therapy - without saying anything that might get David's ire up... I don't see anything wrong in that department.... ;)

I see lots of smooth. I also see pretty refined technique. You've got a real good base to work from, there.

Three things jumped out at me that you could work on a little bit. You move your shoulders a little bit on the draw, which tends to move your head - its subtle, as you don't move much at all, but its there. You also tend to stand up a little more upright as you do it. That might be corrected by a holster position tweak (typically, forward or backward on the belt, but possibly in other directions) - dry fire in front of a mirror or on video as you make corrections, if you choose to, and figure out where nothing moves when you draw. Or, it could just be a habit that you've developed, or an artifact from changing your draw technique. You also might be starting from a position different from how you shoot - start in your shooting position, if that's the case :)

Reloads - +1 on Dave's comment - very smooth, you're looking the mag in appropriately, etc. You already know what to work on here - keep that gun up in front of your face a little more.

Moving Reload - this is slightly more advanced, but dry fire is a great place to get into it. See if you can be leaning forward out of the box as you fire the last shot, and be moving as you reload the gun. I'd like to see you out of the box as you're finishing the reload, instead of having a foot in the box still. Basically, I'd like to see your momentum building earlier in the drill than it is.

As far as how to hold the gun while moving goes, you'll find a lot of different techniques amongst the big dogs... What you'll notice is pretty much the same between them is that they tend to reestablish their grip in much the same way they build the grip and push the gun out during the draw (that's where the consistency for shooting the dot comes from), and they tend to keep the gun up in their face, unless its a long run where they need to get their arms swinging. I've played around with various things, and finally decided that, as long as I got those things correct, it didn't matter what the gun did - I just need to be free to move... ;) So, do what works :)

Keep doing the good work, Jane :)

Thanks for the tips Dave and also thank you to those who have sent PM's. I just had a dry fire session and put some of your tips to work.

First of all......standing in front of mirror and dry firing is WHERE IT IS AT!!! Holy smokes that's a great tool. I've done it casually before but not with real intent and purpose. I kept my focus on my chin (that was my aim point) and then as I drew the gun my peripheral type vision could see everything. It is so cool!!!! It's immediate feedback. Awesome tool. Perfect tool for passive observation with immediate feedback. I'm going to work this into my regular dry fire routine.

I also think I learned something about turing around today. I need to say this...I hate the El Prez. I do. I hate spinning around, shooting 6 shots, reload, 6 shots. BORING!!! I'm more of a move and groove kind of girl. Perhaps that's why I don't shoot it so well <_< No respect. Anyway, as you all noticed from the video, I'm using Max's technique for turning around. He pivots using his R heel and L toe. What I learned today was that if I add some torque with my hips, I can get around easier and softer and be right on target. The momentum of starting that turn with my hips, using the right heel and left toe to pivot, seemed to work for me. Next time I video I'll show you all. It also seemed to help me get my head around faster. And we all know how important the head snap is. Plan on reviewing the 3GM DVD today so I can watch Max do it again. I want to see if he uses any torque.

Good dry fire day today. :)

The Spiritual Plate

As I've stated before my spiritual life is important to me. I wasn't planning on sharing my "spiritual plate" in my range diary but something has happened today that I feel necessary to document. I have been searching for more grace and humility in my life. This afternoon I got a huge dose of both. My heart burns with it as my eyes swell with tears. I want to remember this day and what I'm feeling at this moment. My heart is overwhelmed. When the time is right, I will tell you the story.

My health is fine for those of you who may be worried. ;)

February Goal Evaluation

March 1st marks the first day of my training season. I mailed my final payment for the Open gun today. I’m expecting the gun to be shipped soon. I wanted to review how I’m doing on some of my training goals.

Dry Fire (10/16) 62.5% compliant

Live Fire (1/4 ) 25% compliant

Aerobic (13/20) 65% compliant

Swim ( 5/8) 62.5% compliant

Lifted (2/8) 25% compliant

I’m feeling pretty good with my training. I’ve figured out how to be flexible with my schedule to get the work done. Next month I’m going to do my weight lifting differently which I think will take my compliance % up greatly. I ran into sickness and bad weather this past month, which slowed me down a little. It’s time to take up the intensity a notch. Next month I would like to see 75-100% compliance.

I like the blooper reel. I assume no one was in the room but you didn't let that get in the way of having a good conversation!

I see a lot of good stuff getting linked together. I did notice the shoulder shrug and head bob a bit, but that was already mentioned.

She's really good at editing too. I have to admit even with a hat cam, my videos are kind of boring.

Thanks Shawn but the real credit goes to my son Jackson. He is the George Lucas behind the camera. Last summer he went to a YMCA camp that taught him how to make movies. That was money well spent!

Also thanks for posting guys....your posts encourage me. :)

Edited by Calamity Jane

I emailed my gunsmith today and nagged him. I'm like an impatient child at Christmas.

I had a good dry fire session today. I'm working on catching the gun and pushing it straight out from my chest. On my draw I was cutting across my body. I'm dry firing in front of a mirror which I still think is awesome. Then I'm using video in my dry fire sessions. I play it back in slow motion so I can see that I'm doing it correctly. I need the point from where I catch the gun to where it goes on target to be perfect. So I'm taking a lot of time to make that right.

I'm also working on the turn around on the El Prez. I'm trying to find the best way to get around. Watching myself on video using the slow motion button is helping. It is allowing me to see my balance. I'm now thinking the torque to get around comes from the knees not the hips.

I had myself scheduled to live fire today but I decided not to. One of the goals of March will be to work on trigger control. My new gun will have a 2 lb trigger job with a long flat trigger. I'm shooting a curved trigger and my trigger has some creep in it. I'm just not that pumped up to go to the range and group shoot with my old gun. I've been there and done that. I know what my groups will look like at 25 yds with that gun. I know what my finger does on that trigger. I WANT TO TRY SOMETHING NEW!! If I like the flat trigger, I'm going to have the same gunsmith who built my open gun place a flat trigger in my Limited gun. I might have him do the same type of trigger job on my limited gun. I don't know…something for me to think about.

My son and I are bonding over rock n roll and making videos. I'm not planning on making a video of every dry fire session. Just wanted to post this to show how I'm trying to change my draw.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5187527036194055894

Very noticeable improvement in your turnaround on this video compared to the last video. Excellent job! :)

Thanks, but I'm still having trouble getting my left foot down (after I turn around) without upsetting the gun. That's what happened on the blooper...I get around OK and see the sight and target but when I set my left foot down I get a "boing" effect. :angry: I'm going to review the 3GM DVD again and see what my problem is. I'm getting close to asking for help on this one.

Excellent work on that draw Jane B)

A big THANK YOU MATT! :D

I concur w/ Matt - I like this motion a lot better! As you get that grooved in, the deliberateness at the end of the draw will yield to confident presentation, and it'll be quicker than you can believe ;)

ETA: you're obviously doing your work, and doing the right things to get those fundamentals squared up - good work!!! Keep it up!!! :)

I'm getting close to asking for help on this one.

Let us know when you need ideas... :D

Edited by XRe

I'm getting close to asking for help on this one.

Let us know when you need ideas... :D

You make me smile :) Clearly you have been taught some manners along the way. :)

I don't want to ask for help on this yet because I haven't fully exhausted trying to work it out yet. I know when I do ask...you all are going to tell me one simple little thing and it will make the biggest difference. I'm amazed at how the smallest bit of knowledge can make the biggest difference in shooting. For example, when Max took less than 5 minutes to show me how to move my knees during transitions. It was like being blind and seeing for the first time! I had been trying to figure that out for MONTHS!!!! I had watched him and Julie on video countless times and still didn't "get it".

BTW: Open gun has been shipped. I have a tracking number. :D:D:D

Live Fire

March 8, 2007

Temp 45 degrees and clear

Total rounds 288

Goal of practice: to live fire some of my dry fire drills

One shot draws 10 yds (60)

El Prez turns with one shot (24)

El prez with 6 shots (36)

One shot on 3 targets (36)

7 yd draw (24)

Bill drills at various speeds (84)

SH at 10 yds (12)

WH at 10 yds (12)

I was working on my new draw. It's not in my muscle memory yet so it was a little rough. However, I did notice that it was faster.

I need to shoot a match. I'm getting a little "nit picky" with myself. I think I need to go out and just have some fun and shoot with my buddies. I haven't shot a match since December.

What did I learn from today's practice? I need more dry fire.

El prez with 6 shots (36)

Is this one on each, reload, one on each? Or??

I was working on my new draw. It's not in my muscle memory yet so it was a little rough. However, I did notice that it was faster.

Here's what's cool about this observation - its rough and feels slow and deliberate, and yet its already faster... Hmmm.... I wonder what the timer will show when you groove it and it feels normal or fast??? ;) (that's rhetorical)... Whether you realize it or not - you've stepped through a door onto another level... I love that stuff.... B)