Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S_i Slides In Cad?

ExtremeShot

Dang, I don't have Solidworks which is the program he uses. That is pretty sweet though. I see he has a STI frame modeled. I guess the 1911 slide he modeled would be similar enough. ...I still don't have Solidworks though.

Thanks for the cool link.

Darren

I just pulled in the .iges file for the slide and at first glance it looks pretty good. The good thing is it comes in all surfaced...the bad thing is all the arcs are NURBS so that will have to be changed.

You must be using Autocad. I have Microstation, which will open dwg files, but I didn't have any luck with the igs files. Do you know if the igs file can be saved as a dwg?

Darren

I just pulled in the .iges file for the slide and at first glance it looks pretty good. The good thing is it comes in all surfaced...the bad thing is all the arcs are NURBS so that will have to be changed.

Nope...Mastercam 9, X and Solid Works. X only reads the trimmed surfaces but Solid Works will spit it back out with a wireframe underneath.

I can save it off as anything you want.

Edited by BrianH

If it's not too much trouble for you, a Microstation drawing (dgn) would be great. My Microstation V8 can also open autocad files (no idea what version), so a dwg would be fine also.

I appreciate the help,

Darren

Nope...Mastercam 9, X and Solid Works. X only reads the trimmed surfaces but Solid Works will spit it back out with a wireframe underneath.

I can save it off as anything you want.

....except Microstation! :wacko:

The iges is a 3-d model so autocad is a no-go. Can you read in anything else? STEP, SAT, ProE, Catia, Unigraphics? Solid Works and Solid Designer will save most of the common formats.

Nope. I guess I need to buy some software. I haven't looked yet but I'm guessing solid works costs a thousand bucks or more.

Thanks for trying.

Darren

....except Microstation! :wacko:

The iges is a 3-d model so autocad is a no-go. Can you read in anything else? STEP, SAT, ProE, Catia, Unigraphics? Solid Works and Solid Designer will save most of the common formats.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42997

I was looking to do the same thing. I used to do a lot of solid model work in a previous life. At Xmas time, I figured I could find an inexpensive/free 3D CAD package to validate some slide cuts. After trying a bunch of free software, I found Alibre Xpress. Great functionality for a free solid modeler. Models similar to Pro/E. It can import IGES files. I modeled the slide above in Alibre after measuring up my slide. Then I found the CNC gunsmithing slide and imported it to compare it to the one that modeled up. Pretty close dimensionally. It is a "dumb" model though. I did assemble his frame to my slide to see how it looked.

I would give Alibre Xpress a shot. I came away pretty impressed with it. Capable of doing the relatively simple stuff(by modeling standards) that I wanted to do. Might be a way of getting around working with microstation or autocad(never was a fan of 2D CAD).

http://www.alibre.com/xpress/

Found the link. Cheaper than a seat of Pro/E, UG, or Solidworks. Depends on what you want or need. Price is right.

Darren,

Here is an Acad2000 version of the slide (from the site mentioned above).

I imported the iges file into solidworks. Created a part drawing and then exported it out through DXF.

It is zipped, since the forum will not allow .dwg files.

slide.zip

Have fun,

Kenny

Edited by MasterLefty

Kenny,

Thanks. I got it to open. I appreciate it.

Darren

Darren,

Here is an Acad2000 version of the slide (from the site mentioned above).

I imported the iges file into solidworks. Created a part drawing and then exported it out through DXF.

It is zipped, since the forum will not allow .dwg files.

slide.zip

Have fun,

Kenny