Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 4h Shooting Club

toddrod

I am helping start up a new 4H shooting sport program in my home town and I am in need of ideas on how to get local businesses/individuals to donate equipment and or money to help get us on the way. Any suggestions.

Are there any national organizations that give grants or donations for this sort of thing. Our local government is donating the use of our brand new sheriff dept shooting range for the club.

Again, any help on this matter would be appreciated.

The NRA does give grants to clubs like the 4-H and others. Actually a fair amount of money from what I read.

I'd go to their website and read up on it. I've never done it so i can't give any "real" advice other than I assume a lot more grants are turned down than approved. So, I would talk to someone at the NRA about their requirements, procedures, etc.

Know anyone that does grant writing?

Apply for a grant through the Friends of NRA State Fund Committee. They meet once a year to split up the local half of the money raised in Louisiana during the previous year. NRA lists Dick Kingsafer <jkingsafer@nrahq.org> as your field rep. He helps coordinate the local banquets and presents the grant requests to the state fund committee.

FNRA gives a bunch of its money to 4-H Shooting Sports (more than half of the money raised in the North Texas area). The committees only meet once a year, though. It would really help if your 4-H people had a presence on the local FNRA committee and helped organize the banquet.

PM me if you want more info. I've been involved with FNRA since 1993, including serving on the N TX State Fund Committee.

Find out who the driving force is behind your local Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever type programs and talk to them about help. All you need is a couple of the big-hitters to spend what they would on a couple of prints during one drunken auction and your kids will be in high clover.

Thaks for the ideas.

Irishlad - I do know some one who writes grants for the public school system in my area.

genghis - Thanks for the NRA idea, I will get in touch with you about this as we move forward on this.