Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Field And Stream Cover

Calamity Jane

So I'm at the Y today doing my lifting workout, and right in front of me is a magazine rack. My eye went directly to the Feb 2007 issue of Field and Stream. The cover is a picture of a man who surrvived 6 days in the mountains after getting lost hunting. I swear he looks like Fred Gwynne (Herman Munster) in camo. The image was disturbing to me because he looks like a gun crazed mad man. Now I KNOW that hunters ARE NOT gun crazed mad men and it bothered me that the image on the cover was making me think that. Soo.... I stopped my workout and read the article.

Just as I suspected, I learned that he was a normal guy with a wife who went into the mountains for a day hunt. He went in prepared and came out alive because of his wits. It reminded me of a very good book by Gary Paulsen called "Hatchet".

This is what I wanted to say.... I like men who know how to use a gun and can survive using their wits. Our nation is free because of such men. I know you are not gun crazed mad men. I'm so sorry the media protrays you as such.

I haven't seen the cover, but the story sounds like a local guy. He was from Eagle, ID (right down the street from Boise) and when muley or maybe elk hunting around Stanley, ID in the early season. Stanley is usually the prize winner for the coldest place in the lower 48 and it was hit by an early season snowstorm.

His wife reported him missing and he walked out of the Sawtooths 5 days later. The news barely even picked up the story. This event happened a couple of months before James Kim and the Mt Hood climbers tragedies. Still, the media is morbid about these things. If the Idahoan had died, you'd have heard the story from CNN instead of Field and Stream.

<_< He had to admit he was LOST... I would not look much diferent ...It would be like having to say ..I was wrong. Take a photo of me after I have to say that and you will think I look like Buddy Hacket. Edited by AlamoShooter

Article 1

Article 2

Article 3

I'm sure there's a few other articles out there, article 3 has a picture and it looks like the same guy from the Field and Stream article. This guy is basically a suburbanite hunter that kept his wits about him when things went bad. According to some of the stories, he had to stay put during the snow storms and after the weather broke he started moving towards a road.

I read the article and the basic story is that he got turned around by following a stream branch that split, and wonder over a fairly high mountain range. His GPS failed due to heavy cloud cover and geography, and his compas failed because of its proximity to his GMRS type radio (as he discovered by himself later in his adventure). The search party looked for him in he area he was supposed to be in, but he was over a mountain range. He stayed still, as recommened by S&R, trying to be visible and easy to find.

After two days, he left markers and a note, and found his way back after he figured out what happened and used his wits and navigation aids to know which way to head. He was getting to be in pretty bad shape (lost 15lb) but managed to keep himself focused and going. After 5 days, as they called off the search and the family was preparing to start a private search, two of the tiered searchers having lunch see this guy walking towards them and say "Wouldn't be funny if this was the guy we were all looking for?". He was.