Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Out Of Spec?

jhgtyre

So I got this slide from a prize table and the holes for the firing pin, extractor and guide rod bushing are all too tight to put their respective parts in. I can put the bushing in from the front of the slide but neither the firing pin nor the extractor will go in past about 2/3rds their length. Is this at all normal? I don't want to reveal the manufacturer because I haven't yet given them a chance to make this right if the slide is out of spec.

-ld

So I got this slide from a prize table and the holes for the firing pin, extractor and guide rod bushing are all too tight to put their respective parts in. I can put the bushing in from the front of the slide but neither the firing pin nor the extractor will go in past about 2/3rds their length. Is this at all normal? I don't want to reveal the manufacturer because I haven't yet given them a chance to make this right if the slide is out of spec.

-ld

Most aftermarket slides will require a lot of fitting to run.

They are usually made to minimum dimensions, while parts tend to be made to max. dimensions.

You did not specify if it was a slide for a Tanfoglio, a CZ, a Glock, etc. or one of the 1911s.

Virtually nothing is "drop in" on a 1911. If it is a 1911 slide, I would not look to a "mistake" by the manufacturer. Rather, send the parts to a qualified gunsmith for fitting. I suspect there is nothing defective with your slide.

Regards,

C.

Hmm, wise guys eh? (insert double fingered eye poke followed by nose grab/slap here).

I only have limited experience with slides that haven't been fit. The only other ones I've handled have been Caspian slides and all the little parts and pieces fit just fine. I just wanted to find out if this thing might need to go back to the shop before I drop it off with my gunsmith.

-ld

Hmmmmmm....... I got a .40 GM slide from a certain manufaturer and it wouldn't take a bushing, the firing pin channel had lot of chips and grit in it, the extractor tunnel was very tight, and the barrel hood area was machined at an angle. We might have the same manufacturer.

What caliber is it and what caliber is the firing pin hole? Who made it? Can you get a firing pin stop in it without the extractor an firing pin?

It is .45 caliber. I have no idea what caliber the fp hole is but I tried a .38 super and .45 cal pin and neither fit. I cannot get the firing pin stop in either. I am still going to keep the name of the mfr a secret because the slide may be just fine but if it isn't I would rather make a post about how they handled the matter.

-ld