Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Top Flattening On Sti Open Gun

ExtremeShot

I'm sure there's probably a thread talking about this, however, the search function didn't give me anything.

I was curious how much you guys typically flatten the top of a STI slide? I haven't stuck a caliper on my slide yet, but from some of the pictures I've seen it appears about 30 thou, or so, has been removed.

Thanks,

Darren

Click here for a picture of my gun:

My STI Open gun project

It doesn't take a lot, 30 thou will get a pretty wide flat. I don't have my slides with me, but I know on the Open gun I took 30 thou and it is a good bit wider than a factory STI flat top. On the Limited gun I took 20 and it is about the same as an STI factory.

Level the slide in the vise, cut 10 per pass until you get close to the look you want and drop 5 at a time from there.

When you guys flatten the slide, are you flattening the comp separately or are you doing both at the same time? ...The comp is about the same width as the slide so I'm thinking I could get a pretty good grip on both with the vise, however, the other end of the barrel (chamber end) would be loose.

DM

Yep, that's what I was thinking. A lot of cutting oil on that last pass should give a good fininsh.

Level the slide in the vise, cut 10 per pass until you get close to the look you want and drop 5 at a time from there.

So it sounds like you are cutting the slide and comp at the same time?

Regarding the paper, I make mag releases for the XD and I cut 12 at a time. Sometimes if one is slightly shorter it will spin so I use a thin cardboard to take up the space. ...same concept.

Darren

Hello: I use a carbide fly cutter to cut the top. You can use paper as a shim between the slide and vice or comp and vice. The paper has some give so it will lock either one that is loose. Hope this helps.

ES, lock the lug end of the barrel with the same tool you used to cut the lower lugs, for the life of me I can't remember what it is called right now. The 'gizmo' that fits in the recoil spring tunnel and locks the barrel up with the setscrew. Then you can flat top the slide and comp together. Carlos link provides all the other info I can think of that you might need.

Thanks for the info. I don't think I have that tool so I'll have to try to find one somewhere.

Darren

ES, lock the lug end of the barrel with the same tool you used to cut the lower lugs, for the life of me I can't remember what it is called right now. The 'gizmo' that fits in the recoil spring tunnel and locks the barrel up with the setscrew. Then you can flat top the slide and comp together. Carlos link provides all the other info I can think of that you might need.

If you dont have at least .100 after flatopping and it crack, STI will not warrant it. If its more than .100 no problem. They are pretty reasonable about the lightening cuts and other stuff. They are firm on the amount of metal after the flattopping.

Thanks!! It says that it "Mounts through the bushing".... I guess it will work will a bull barrel also?

DM

This is the 'gizmo' I was trying to remember the name of. Remember the comp will be hanging off the end of the barrel and the cuts need to be pretty light to prevent chatter.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...O+BARREL+HOLDER

Sweet! I'm also going to get one of Brownell's "YAVAPAI SLIDE JIG" to hold my slide when cutting the rib cage. Anything else you guys think I will need? ...I really appreciate the help.

Darren

YAVAPAI SLIDE JIG:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...amp;s=3445#3445

Yes, It works on bushing and bull barrels. It actually goes in place of the reverse plug/recoil spring plug. I guess that is what they are calling the 'bushing below the barrel'.

I have been chopping on slides without the Yavapai jig. I lay them down and push them up against a hard clamped stop block. Then I lightly toe clamp the slide down and make sure my radial cutting forces are toward the stop block. It has been working out pretty well. One thing that might make a difference is I am using a true CNC mill, and orientation of the part doesn't really matter. I write the program and can run that program in any orientation I want.