Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I probably should of put a LOL after my "Gee, how hard can it be" comment.

What fooled me was the open field courses made me want to go much faster than my ability dictated. Result: mikes and sloppy hits.

For me, the Florida Open is one of the toughest matches around.

I had the pleasure or watching Eric Grauffel go thru some stages shooting and moving like a Ballet Dancer. I thought I'd try that technique and ended up looking like a break dancer instead. LOL

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard from a fellow shooting friend that the FL. Open will be the first points series match and will be santioned.  Regular targets will be used and USPSA standard practices will be in placed for field courses (i.e. 8 rds from 1 position, etc.).  This is the first i am hearing of this but comes from a good source.

Just read Paul's post and was delighted to see the match joined the family... Only wish there was some notice / announcement that it was a sanctioned match!

There are a number of us who know of the quality of the match and have wanted to shoot it but for the issue of sanction.

Good luck to all that are going!

Joel

Joel,

Please forgive my ignorance but... why would you avoid a great match because it was not "sanctioned?"  I have been to nearly every one of them and they have been great fun with an international flair.  Frank is probably better known as a great shooter and instructor outside of the USA.  He had many ties with foreign shooters and his match illustrates that.  I think that past "sanctioning" has just been a matter of $ and what it adds to Frank's match.  He does not hide the fact that this is a business for him.

Leo

Leo,

Fair question. My view may be somewhat parochial but as the match uses IPSC/USPSA rules, classifications, trained officials, scoring programs and targets – which is certainly legal and above board – I think a contribution to USPSA is justified beyond the price of the match ad.

The matches have always been fully subscribed and everyone I know enjoys them. In fact, the day may come when private matches out number our traditional volunteer events. The Florida Open is a perfect example of a match that “works”.

I may just be hopelessly stuck in the past. (Wouldn’t be the first time!)

Again, to all who go Ki%k A$$ and have a great time.

Joel

My appologies, but the information I recieved and posted above end up being false information.  The classic targets are still going to be used, the match may still be the first point series match from what I've been told by someone running the match and very close to Frank Garcia.  Also from what i understand there will be no Texas Star.

::: Fair warning :::

I arrive Orlando late on Saturday 8 February for a week of IPSC meetings and SHOT Show so, if I'm not abducted by aliens (i.e. my IPSC colleagues!), I'll try

to get to the match on the Sunday to say "Hi" to BE Forum regulars.

If I can make it, I'll bring donuts

• 2 weeks later...

The match was, in my opinion, the best Florida Open yet.  Now the weather on the other hand was not as good.  Cold Saturday morning and I really don't know how the rain stayed away on Sunday.  Stages were all well layed out and very decorative.  The competition was amazing.  Very humbling watching Eric G., Saul K., Todd J., Max M., Matt B., and the others shoot some of the stages.  Shows me I have a ways to go to even be close to their level.  Matt B. has a 3rd disc out on his DVD.  Talking with him on Saturday morning I found out that the company I work for does all of his DVD replication.  Eric G. was HOA Open and a young gun named Blake M., won HOA limited.  Pretty impressive kid (just turned 21 I heard).  I believe I also heard that Blake has been working a lot with Matt B.  Something else that was amazing was to watch a young kid (12 maybe?) shoot in the shoot-off's.  He was shooting a glock and had a super fast draw and reload.  He first beat Tom Stidham (GM limited) and in the final heat beat world production champ. David Sevigny.  WOW, the kids was fast and had nerves of steel.  If anyone ever wants to shoot a great match with friendly staff, then the Florida Open is a match for you.  I'm sure Matt B. and others will back this up.  And next time I'll try and get us some better weather.  

Quote: Something else that was amazing was to watch a young kid (12 maybe?) shoot in the shoot-off's.  He was shooting a glock and had a super fast draw and reload.  He first beat Tom Stidham (GM limited) and in the final heat beat world production champ. David Sevigny.  WOW, the kids was fast and had nerves of steel.  

Hey, that was my little brother  .

B.J. is 13 and has been shooting about two years now, and has shown rapid progress under coach Phil Strader.  I happen to be one of the proudest older brothers you'll ever meet, even if I can't keep up in my old age.

(Edited by Kyle Norris at 3:33 pm on Feb. 10, 2003)

(Edited by Kyle Norris at 3:34 pm on Feb. 10, 2003)

Watching the Norris kid in the shoot-off was really fun.  The crowd was going crazy cheering as he knocked off the adults one by one.  When he drew Sevegny everybody knew the kid was toast. The kid did not even flinch and Sevegny did!  The kid smoked him BAAD!  I was standing besides Phil and his wife/SO when he won and they almost deafened me!   As they say ... the crowd went WILD!  Great moment.

Leo