Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought about it seriously untill I saw the going price of airline tickets from the Northwest.  That with the match fee, hotel and other expenses, it would be well over $1000.

It looks like a great match!  http://www.frankgarciausa.com/flaopen/main.html

I wonder about this though

"$20,000 Prize Table... Competitors will tour prize table in order of finish."

Does this mean overall finish, or within division finish?

I wonder if #25 Limited shooter gets the walk down the table before the #1 Production shooter.

Frostproof Florida, you gotta love that........

Probably so.  That's what they did at the limited nationals.  Lump'em all together and tour the prize table in order of finish.  I think that's a great deal for production and Lim-10 shooters.  That's the price you have to pay for getting to reload all those extra times at the match and being scored minor if you're shooting production.   Seriously though, the Florida open is advertising a $500 award for first production and first Lim-10.  That's not to shabby.

Florida open is a good match with great props and tough stages ( you must know how to aim) but the prize table is skimpy ( inflated value of prizes)...I was 5th OA in open last year and got a leftover glock slide.

Prizes are distributed by placement overall in open or standard

Mike,

The prize table last year was a little "slimmer" than in the previous years. I've shot all three of the Florida Opens since its inception and the first two years, the prize table was better than last years. Great match though, great props, stages, RO's and some great fun.

in fact, I personally find it one of the best matches held in the country these days. With all discussion about price table one should not forget that this is a for-profit commercial match, at a match entry fee comparable to many USPSA's all-volunteer, not-for-profit big matches. See ya'  there,

Detlef

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

The Florida Open will be my first "big" match since my years of absence from the sport.

Any insights or suggestions that might be peculiar to the Open?  (besides good luck)

Thanks

Roy,

Thank you.  I'm cutting it  short here on practice time, so I just ordered 50 of them next day air.  Never shot them before.

Do you know Jimmy and Artie Mitchel?  (Mitchel Custom Guns/Bulletworks, Breckenridge, TX)  Mitch just finished building  the Open Para I will be shooting there.  Super people.  Super job on the gun too.

Again, Thank you very much.

Jack T.  

This is a wide open match, no no-shoots, and all field courses (at least it has been the last few years).  However that does not mean this match won't challenge you because it will.  A sharp mental game is needed and being able to break down a stage is needed.  The classic target can cost you some points, especially when shooting on the move.  It should be a great match.

Thanks Paul,

I truly appreciate the overview.  I had the opportunity to shoot with you in December my first match back with an Open Gun.  Having seen you shoot adds much credibility to what you have to post.

Thank you,

Jack T.  

Jack,

Thanks Jack, thats cool of you to say.  Where did we shoot together at?  I'll be at Malabar Saturday.  And then of course at the Florida Open next weekend.  Come up and say hi, so I can put a face to the name.

Paul,

I followed Cindy Cooper over from West Palm Beach and shot the Eustis Match in December.  I wasn't aware of how many matchs we have in our area, if one doesn't mind driving a little.

Latter

You can also do what I did to make some "Classic" targets, which is to get the dimensions off the IPSC page (www.ipsc.org or so), make one out of a chunk of cardboard and voila, you now have a template to hack out a few dozen more in short order with a sharp knife.

It's also handy to poke some holes in your template where the corners of the A and C-zones are. Then you can poke a pen through onto your newly cut targets and play connect-the-dots to get proper scoring rings.

Jack-- yeah I know Jimmie and Artie, they're great-- we were supposed to be squadded with them at Paper & Iron this year, but they got delayed. (In order to move this discussion full-circle, I made my pseudo-Classic targets above from old ISSA targets, which were formerly used at Paper & Iron)

(Edited by shred at 6:49 pm on Feb. 9, 2002)

• 10 months later...

Just got my confirmation in the mail today so I'll be there in Limited fashion.

Great match. In the past the format was no shooting boxes, no no-shoots, no standards, no mandatory reloads, no mandatory weak hand, strong hand, right-sides, left-sides, etc.

Just plain old run-n-gun. Gee, how hard can it be?

I should be there as well.

mickster...don't let what you said fool you.  All of what you said is true but "easy match" it is not.  Very challenging.  One hint "Be real good at shooting the classic targets (ameba style) on the move.

Paul,

You missed the match yesterday so I will add a few hints to your comments... be good at Texas stars and shooting a TON of steel on the move too!   Should be plenty of swingers and spinners to keep everyone dizzy!

Latest count is 281 rounds including 35 steel.  

Frank also rigged up a huge shoot-off bay with pneumatic resetting mechanism buried underneath to speed things up.  Should be a great match.

Leo