Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Place To Buy Bullets

aerosigns

Ironic that the day after I post about this I get my shipping notice. Hahaha. :D

I should have mine in a couple of days--being in the same State. I'm really looking forward to trying these bullets out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday after my post I ordered 4000 instead of 2000 and got an email from David saying they were filling back orders for 230gr 45's and would ship as soon as they could. I love dealing with companies that provide feedback on orders.

+1. David (Pecision Bullets) is a great guy. Been buying his 40s for years and he is one of those guys who will spend 20 minutes on the phone helping you out. No suprise lead surcharges either. I know of at least one GM who is about fourth in the nation using his bullets.

Okay here is the dope on the Moly Bear Creek bullets.

First I loaded light since I am trying to whip up loads with new powder and new bullets.

However using all Remington brass, and all Federal 150's, in my 625 with 5" barrel.

3.8 gr. Bullseye powder and Ranier 230 plated

Spread = 610.8 to 626.9 / Avg. = 620.56

3.8 gr. Bullseye powder and Bear Creek 230 Moly

Spread = 645.00 to 689.20 / Avg. = 667.10

Moly difference under indentical circumstances = + 46.54 fps.

3.9 gr. of VV 310 with the Molys' for 10 rounds;

Spread = 690.20 to 728.30 / Avg. = 706.30

Standard Deviation was a 14.03 fps.

This also gives you a good idea of the difference between Bullseye and VV 310.

4.1 gr. VV 310 with the Molys' yielded a 10 shot Avg. of 741.00

Sorry about not having the specifics but the dummy running the chrono forgot to tell it to save the last string. Something about being outside, in the cold, before supper time will do that to you. I think this is the about the right load since this would give me a PF of 170.43.

One thing with the Bear Creek bullets is that they are .452 instead of .451 in the Raniers. I am seeing a slight bulge in the brass, but my Lee FCD says they are still OK. All of the rounds dropped to full depth on a dirty gun also so I guess this is a non-issue for now.

Hope this helps someone.

Hey did you weigh the bullets before loading? Last time I bought some 230gr moly bullets they averaged about 224gr... and the last batch of Speer 230gr TMJs I bought were slightly heavy.

Its possible that might explain the difference you're seeing.

Lead & moly coated coated bullets are normally sized at .452 for a better gas seal. Anyone loading to a power factor had better weigh a sample or you might discover a surprise at chrono time. The last 4 shipments of 230gr Precision's have averaged 231.2 and the prior MasterBlaster 225gr averaged 226. I changed because the Precision smoked less but I have changed to a powder I like better so that is a moot point.

Anybody know max load vv n310 and 200 gr swc?

I am working and getting a little nervous(This load is not in any my books)

200 gr swc they are Hornday straight lead 4.5 gr average 795 fps 159 pf :o

h 818 l 768

Also tried a coulpe MB 200 gr rnc (Have 60 or so of these from a sample pack)

average 825 165 pf

High 865 low 807.

I am shooting a stock barreled Springfield 1911 5"

Is this 50 fps variance normal?

I have a club Match sunday and I like to play by the rules (Wheather they chrono or not)

It is there SS championship for the year

I did weigh a handfull of the Bear Creek Moly's. They were all within 2 grains plus or minus of 230. Pretty much the same consistency I see with plated Raniers.

Since you have brought up the question sometime towards the weekend I will weigh a larger quantity to get a better cross section.

I live in Northwest Illinois, and it decided to snow today, so I am hoping for warmer weather this weekend. Then I can do some work on accuracy.

aerosigns,

Did you notice much smoke with the Bear Creek Moly's? After I shoot my last 500 cast lead SWC's I want to give these a try to see if they cut down on the smoke and carbon buildup in the gun.

Also, have you tried Clays powder? Clays felt alot better to me than bullseye at equivalent velocities with 200grain SWC's. Less snappy recoil...much softer. Just a suggestion of something you might want to try.....

Thanks!

Trodrig

Sorry folks,

Looks like I just got Cabelas last few instock boxes of Ranier 230gr 45 bullets. I say this because they shipped all but one box that I ordered and they put it on back order.

They said they expect more on the 30th of this month.

41mag

While I was practicing I shot about 50 rounds of Raniers with Bullseye powder. I also shot 36 rounds of Bear Creek Molys with VV310.

I saw no difference in Smoke. I was concentrating more on not hitting my chrono, so I can't really judge on felt recoil.

I have tried Clays which I liked, but my Lee Pro Squib 1000 (Per the LEE rep) will not load flake powders. I would vary as much as a full grain + or -.

I just came in from weighing bullets. I opened a box of 500 Bear Creeks, and randomly picked out 100 bullets to weigh.

My criteria for a Level II 'match' bullet was 229 to 231 grains.

< 229 = 4

229-231 = 34

> 231 = 62