Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Semi Wad Cutter Vs. Round Nose

Gti18T

I have two questions. First off, is there a difference in accuracy, feed reliability, or anything else in shooting a round nose verses a Semi wad (both of these in lead like betterbullets.com)

Also, is there any real difference in shooting lead versus shooting plated FMJ?

Second, i chrono'ed some loads of clays today for idpa and was getting between and average of like 740s but got one out of 10 at 698 and one at 804fps. All the others were right on at about 738-755

What is the deal with the low one an high one? Is that to expect? i was using mixed brass so that could have been it.

Thanks

Dan

mixed brass will result in different amounts of crimp being applied, thus diff amounts of bullet pull. for the most part, i would not worry about the high or low ones.

lead bullets will smoke a helluva lot more than plated or jacketed bullets.

lead bullets also take less powder to get to a specified velocity.

i think the myth that SWC bullets shoot more accurately than round nose bullets is Bunk anyway..ive never seen an appreciable difference with them in that dept. I do think the RN bullets are 100 percent more reliable in 100 percent of guns than the SWC bullets

Harmon

I have two questions. First off, is there a difference in accuracy, feed reliability, or anything else in shooting a round nose verses a Semi wad (both of these in lead like betterbullets.com)

Also, is there any real difference in shooting lead versus shooting plated FMJ?

Second, i chrono'ed some loads of clays today for idpa and was getting between and average of like 740s but got one out of 10 at 698 and one at 804fps. All the others were right on at about 738-755

What is the deal with the low one an high one? Is that to expect? i was using mixed brass so that could have been it.

Thanks

Dan

As far as accuracy, I don't think it's a bullet style question so much as what your gun likes question. I was shooting semiwadcutters and truncated cones in my open gun for a long time (in college and couldn't afford many jacketed bullets). I'd always heard that round nose were less accurate. The first time I loaded some 130gr round nose FMJ I got, by far, the best accuracy I'd ever seen out of my gun...so much for round nose not shooting well. Your gun may be the opposite or show no preference at all.

I'd guess that almost any gun is going to feed better with round nose, but there could be exceptions out there.

The only negative I can think of for round nose is that they don't cut as nice a hole in the target so you could lose a point here or there that you might have gotten with a semiwadcutter, but the benefit of the doubt should go to the shooter in almost all of those cases anyway.

I'm willing to be that the high and low round were caused by either the bullet pull issue mentioned by Harmon or by one odd case with a lower capacity (raises pressure and velocity) and one odd case with higher capacity (lowers pressure and velocity) since the cases were mixed brands.

Edited by G-ManBart

What Harmon said.

If you shoot indoors, stay away from lead, you'll gag at the line and so will the SO's.

SWC fly better at the longer ranges, 35 yds and further.

RN bullets load better in a revolver, than SWC's.

Merlin, I have a TC contender barrel in 45 acp with 2.5-7 power scope on it.

shooting off the sandbags at 25 yards, the SWC and Round Nose bullets are so close its not funny.

the most accurate load was a 185 Hornady XTP over a starting load of bullseye.

That being said, the bullseye shooters in our area use mainly 185 JHP bullets by montana gold pushed by 231 powder to about 800 fps. only once in a blue moon will an old fart show up with smokey cast lead semi wadcutters at our match..

being a realist, how would just the mere shape of a bullet contribute to the super accurate myths of the SWC? I think the real reason the bullseye shooters liked the bullet is you could get less recoil( due to less weight) and still get flatter trajectories than the 230 for their 50 yard targets.

For IPSC major 230 FMJ, LRN, black bullets are the best IMO..

Harmon

Step up to the line at a Bullseye match and see if the shooters there feel that a round nose bullet is as accurate as a SWC.

They also think rapid fire is 5 rounds in 10 seconds :P

Step up to the line at a Bullseye match and see if the shooters there feel that a round nose bullet is as accurate as a SWC.

They also think rapid fire is 5 rounds in 10 seconds :P

No, not all. But that's what it's called in the rule book.

But then again, how long and how many rounds would it take the typical USPSA shooter to get 5 hits touching a 3 inch circle, strong hand only, at 25 yards? Its all DVC, just different ratios for different sports. Actually, the hardest part of any shooting is figuring out what needs to happen between the ears, which is why I check into this forum occasionally. :D

Anyway, back to the question. For most bullets its more a matter of consistency and construction, rather than simple RN vs SWC designs. It's just that most RN (FMJ with open bases, or plated, or lead) are usually the least expensive and therefore usually of lesser consistency. Notice I said most and usually. The same goes for cast lead SWC's. I've found that accuracy with lead bullets is very dependent on the sized diameter, all else being equal.

Higher quality bullets, even lead like Oregon Trail, show very consistent results between RN, WC and SWC designs. However, for typical ranking, I'd go RN (lead or jacketed), SWCs, then JHP's.

However there are standounds for each. For example, the Serria 125 gr .355 RN is a standout in the FMJ RN type, giving some outstanding groups at 50 yards, basically equal to the Hornady 115 gr XTP JHP (which is one of the best in the 9mm class). But for the .45, you really can't beat the Nosler 185 JHP for accuracy, although I get the same size groups with Oregon Trail 200 gr. SWC.

But the question is, what is the best for your application, accuracy and cost considerations? That's what reloading is all about.

Cecil Rhodes