Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Netflix Sucks

bountyhunter

This probably wont fix it. Everyone I know who uses Netflix gets movies 48 hours after putting a batch in the mail to return. The delay is with your local USPS and not Netflix.

This is not necessarily true.

Netflix not only "de-prioritizes" rentals from heavy users - it would appear that they actually sit on them for a day or two if you have exceed a certain threshold. Google for netflix and throttle for details.

I actually have no great love of netflix but the delivery delay is not the issue for me. Please keep us updated on how the BB service works out. I may switch if it is better :)

I got a three-month paid netflix subscription for Xmas, so I am riding that horse until it drops.

BTW, lost movie sent out on 1/10 still a no show.

What the hell is wrong with USPS in your area? Occassionally I'll get a movie sent from the east coast and that takes 2-3 days. With normal deliveries, I had one in a batch of 3 that got sent out on the same day take 5 days while the others got to me in 1 day.

I read an investigative report on Netflix. The information that they learned is that they use an algorithm to give priority to folks that only rent one or two movies a month and aggressively de-prioritize folks that turn the movies quickly. The faster you turn the movies around, the lower your priority gets.

As you know, since the fee is fixed, the more movies you take, the less they make.

I don't doubt that's true. When I first started with Netflix, I was on the 2 at a time plan, and I got new movies 2 days after I put the returns in the mailbox. Like clockwork. Then I moved up to the 3 at a time plan, and although I didn't keep records, my gut feeling was that I didn't get any more movies per month than I did on the 2 at a time plan. (On average, I returned each movie the day after I got it.) So I dropped back to the 2 at a time plan... I can't really watch more movies than that anyway.

be

This probably wont fix it. Everyone I know who uses Netflix gets movies 48 hours after putting a batch in the mail to return. The delay is with your local USPS and not Netflix.

Netflix not only "de-prioritizes" rentals from heavy users - it would appear that they actually sit on them for a day or two if you have exceed a certain threshold. Google for netflix and throttle for details.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet :) I have read the reports. Info from friends who work there just does not align with the "flawless investigative reporting" that has been done on this. Don't get the wrong impression, I am not a huge fan of the service and as soon as BB has had time to work out the bugs, I plan to try them out also. I dont, though, subscribe to the knee jerk reactions and personal vendettas that widespread access to the internet often provides.

Netflix was really great when I started using them. There is no Blockbuster in the rural town I live in and Netflix was getting DVDs to me from DFW in 2 or 3 days. But as soon as I answered one of their email survey questions like "When did <movie> arrive?" or "When did you return <movie>" the service went downhill. Now its 4 or 5 days minimum between movies. My advice is Ignore Their Survey Questions!

Don't believe everything you read on the internet :) I have read the reports. Info from friends who work there just does not align with the "flawless investigative reporting" that has been done on this. Don't get the wrong impression, I am not a huge fan of the service and as soon as BB has had time to work out the bugs, I plan to try them out also. I dont, though, subscribe to the knee jerk reactions and personal vendettas that widespread access to the internet often provides.

Netflix paid cash to settle a lawsuit that they had been intentionally foot dragging when processing the movies. I don't assume they are doing that to me, but the $$$ says they were doing it to somebody.

I read an investigative report on Netflix. The information that they learned is that they use an algorithm to give priority to folks that only rent one or two movies a month and aggressively de-prioritize folks that turn the movies quickly. The faster you turn the movies around, the lower your priority gets.

As you know, since the fee is fixed, the more movies you take, the less they make.

I don't doubt that's true. When I first started with Netflix, I was on the 2 at a time plan, and I got new movies 2 days after I put the returns in the mailbox. Like clockwork. Then I moved up to the 3 at a time plan, and although I didn't keep records, my gut feeling was that I didn't get any more movies per month than I did on the 2 at a time plan. (On average, I returned each movie the day after I got it.) So I dropped back to the 2 at a time plan... I can't really watch more movies than that anyway.

be

You can get a DVD recorder and dub them off when they arrive and then watch them on the weekend or whenever you have time.

You need a gadget called a "sync-restorer" which is available from a lot of places and removes the copy guard signal and replaces the original sync signal.

Maybe complain with the postmaster on how slow they are at getting mail through.

Been there, done that. You can't threaten a lazy bozo who knows he can't be fired unless he murders the Pope in front of cameras on easter Sunday.

Seriously.....

I don't think there's such a thing as a locally-owned video storyeanywhere near me.

But I've had great luck with Blockbuster Online. Usually a two day turnaround from my location.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but now you can return your BB online movies to a BB bricks and mortar storefor a free exchange. They mail in your online movies, and as soon asit is back at the distribution center a new movie goes out, regardless whether you still have the one you picked up from the bricks and mortar store.

So right now, even though I'm on the "3 out at a time plan," I have 6 Blockbuster movies at home. Three from online and three from the store. I usually get obscure indy or foreign films online and the mainstream stuff from the local store.

I really need to drop down to just "2 or 1 out at a time."