Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ranch Moon Clips

41mag

I am real happy so far with my new moon clips.

I did notice that one side is "flat" and the other "round". I can't tell what would make a difference one way or the other. My anal side had me load them all the same with the "flat" side torward the cylinder. Any thoughts on this?

I havn't got to the range yet to have a real work out but the loaded clips seem to drop in real nice even thou I don't have chamfered charge holes. You can even just set them on the cylinder and then shake the gun a bit in you hand and they will find there way right in! (round nose lead). Of course you guys already know this. This is my first go round with moonclips! Can't believe what I've been missing all these years.

Look for range soon,

41mag

post-9181-1168652880.jpg

My anal side had me load them all the same with the "flat" side torward the cylinder. Any thoughts on this?

post-9181-1168652880.jpg

My anal side had me load them with the flat side toward the rim of the case. :unsure:

One of us is wrong and has to unclip and reclip everything we have clipped up. :lol:

Unless it doesn't make any difference. :wacko:

I did notice that one side is "flat" and the other "round". I can't tell what would make a difference one way or the other. My anal side had me load them all the same with the "flat" side torward the cylinder. Any thoughts on this?

I do the same thing. As far as I can tell the only difference is it helps me with my OCD. :P

It looks like you have close to the right amount. A couple of the things the bottom-feeders most envy about moon clip guns is you can have all of your brass picked up in the same time it takes them to pick up magazines, and you can have the entire match loaded up and sitting in your bag ready to put on your belt and go. No mag disassembly and cleaning on a dusty range and no distractions having to keep track of which mags are partially empty and have to be reloaded in time for the next stage.

I also put each loaded moon in the gun at home and spin them up to make sure they are flat. I also spin the first moon at LAMR. Many folks think this is a bad habit (and may actually be against the rules) and I am inclined to agree with them, but it's the only time during a match that I can think of to check the gun to ensure nothing has gotten under the star or anything else is binding the loaded gun before the buzzer. I have only had a couple of occasions where I had to take remedial action (probably just OCD again) but it's a part of my ritual that will be hard to give up.

When spinning up the cylinder to check moons, make sure you don't use the cylinder stop to, um, stop the cylinder. It's too hard on the gun. :P

I load them all flat side to the cylinder. I've always done it that same way with my 686 clips too. My rationale is that the minor radius on the clip will allow case rims to sit against the clip better and give me more positive primer ignition. That said, I'm pretty new to this sport and don't hold myself up as any sort of expert.

It doesn't matter which side you load as long as it's bullet first when getting them in the gun. Try too fast and they may end up any way they want.

I find the best demooner to be the one from Brownells or an old golf club with a half moon cut on the end.

I won't try to talk you guys down from your OCD issues, but for the benefit of normal people ;) who might be tuned in:

1. It doesn't matter which side of the moonclip is up.

2. Spin-checks are unnecessary as long as you have ensured all primers are properly seated and you simply drop each loaded moon into the open cylinder and ensure it seats flat prior to packing up for the match.

I do the same thing. As far as I can tell the only difference is it helps me with my OCD. :P

Me too. Gotta go. Five minutes to Wapner.

I won't try to talk you guys down from your OCD issues, but for the benefit of normal people who might be tuned in:

You're just jealous because the voices don't talk to you. <_<

My anal side had me load them all the same with the "flat" side torward the cylinder. Any thoughts on this?

post-9181-1168652880.jpg

My anal side had me load them with the flat side toward the rim of the case. :unsure:

One of us is wrong and has to unclip and reclip everything we have clipped up. :lol:

Unless it doesn't make any difference. :wacko:

:lol::lol::lol: Don't unclip yours!

I got out in the rain today to shoot and show off my new toy, we had fun and my buddy is lusting after the 25-2. But.... Carmoney was right, the gun didn't shoot real good with the lead bullets that I had loaded. They also leaded the barrel at the forcing cone a bit. I think I'm going to unclip mine, clip up some of the ranier's I have loaded for playing and than start researhing a good load (asking Mr Carmoney for a load :) ). He is going to tell me jacketed most likely and I was hoping to get by on the cheap! Any one have a good "cheap" load for a 25-2? Mike...? What do you recommend?

I saw JM has a spring kit at Brownells, I was thinking about getting it when I order my demooner ;) . It claims a 7lb DA pull and fast return. Any one have a good reason not to give it a try? I'm also getting his video so I can learn how to put the superfluous parts back in the gun with out them flying across the room :lol::lol:.

While I'm at Brownells what else do I need for the round gun adventure I have started on? Special tools for the Smith? Are triggers and hammers drop in parts? I might change them and then I might not.

I gotta go, family wants to watch a movie or somthing. I'll be back...

41mag

It does not matter which side. :)

If you don't want to experiment with bending springs ala---Carmoney, the JM kits are fine, as are the Wolf, and the Vic Pickett (I use the Picketts myself and have all 6 lb DA triggers on all my action pistol Smiths, that are 100%).

Carmoney uses Ranier so he should be able to get you started on a load.

Enjoy your 25-2, sounds like it is the beginning of a great relationship. All you guys talking about 25-2s made me get mine out and actually look at it. :wub:

Hopalong

I've shot my way into "B" class with this load, using Rainier's, so it may be helpful.

230 grain Rainier Round Nose

4.0 grains Clays

Federal Large Pistol #100 primers (are there any other primers for the Way of the Wheel?)

mixed brass

OAL 1.265

from my S&W Model 625 with a 5" barrel:

chrono'd at the 2006 Ohio Sectional 727FPS for a 167.3 Power Factor

chrono'd at the 2006 Kentucky Sectional 736FPS for a 169.4 Power Factor

Welcome to the REVOlution!!!!!

I've shot my way into "B" class with this load, using Rainier's, so it may be helpful.

4.0 grains Clays

Federal Large Pistol #100 primers (are there any other primers for the Way of the Wheel?)

mixed brass

OAL 1.265

from my S&W Model 625 with a 5" barrel:

chrono'd at the 2006 Ohio Sectional 727FPS for a 167.3 Power Factor

chrono'd at the 2006 Kentucky Sectional 736FPS for a 169.4 Power Factor

Welcome to the REVOlution!!!!!

Thanks wlkhteduk

I have a bunch of those loaded up at the same oal except I used Red dot cause I already had a bunch. They do shoot respectable, matter of fact I tired quickly of trying to remove the above mentioned leading and grabbed a couple of clips full of the Raniers and went out in the yard and shot a couple of small groups at 25 yards ( about 3" off hand). I was hoping to use lead cause it cost 1/2 the price of the plated. Whats the cheapest way to get a hold of the Raniers? Do we need to make a large truck load order in the 10"s of thousands to get a decent price? I think I payed about 80 bucks for the ones I'm shooting now (1000), 44 bucks for the lead. Shipping is what kills us these days on every thing, from haz mat to hand gun shipping rules.

Where is the Ohio sectional held? I'm from Ohio! I want to play, can I play? :unsure:

41mag

OCD? :huh:

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.

4.0 grains Clays

mixed brass

OAL 1.265

Right on. We had to go to 4.2 to get 173 p.f. (hate to cut it any closer) out of the 25-2 that Sam shoots. You'd think the longer barrel would create more velocity than the 5" 625s but that's not the case with our specimen.....of course it's a very high rount-count gun so that might explain it. I was pleasantly surprised to find that plated bullets seem to do fine from that old gun.

Where is the Ohio sectional held? I'm from Ohio! I want to play, can I play? :unsure:

Circleville for the past few years.

Depending on where you are located since you have a generic description on your location, you may be closer than you think to a number of clubs shooting. Check the Area 5 website, you'll find a list of all the clubs in and around Ohio.

I saw JM has a spring kit at Brownells, I was thinking about getting it when I order my demooner ;) . It claims a 7lb DA pull and fast return. Any one have a good reason not to give it a try? I'm also getting his video so I can learn how to put the superfluous parts back in the gun with out them flying across the room :lol::lol:.

I gotta go, family wants to watch a movie or somthing. I'll be back...

41mag

With the JM kit it tells you that you should use Federal Primers.

With the JM kit it tells you that you should use Federal Primers.

Any reduction in revolver trigger pull by any method that includes reducing mainspring force should generally be preceded by switching to Federal primers. If your gun is 100% on anything but Federal primers, well, you just aren't trying. :P

Oh...yeah, I have that. Wish I had the money to go with it.

You can get started cheaply enough in the Order of the OCD. First, sort all your brass by headstamp because everybody knows it effects how they fit into the moons and gives different power factors. Better yet, buy a particular brand of *new* brass to use only in your revos (I like Starline).

Then, create a formal ritual to get all your stuff loaded for the match (remember the time you found yourself at the big match without your holster?). Follow my advice or you'll find yourself pulling off the road 10 minutes from the house to make sure you put your gun in the car. TIP: Make it a song you sing as you dance around your car on match day and your neighbors won't let their dogs poop on your yard.

Or do you have a spare holster/belt/moonclip holder/gun just in case? Yeah, right, it's for somebody else in case *they* forget; same thing.

What? You think you know me because I'm telling your story? HA! Denial isn't just a river in Egypt. ;)

Seek professional help if you start lining up the headstamps so they all face the same direction!

The O-C-D allows me to have truly meaningful conversations with the voices in my head, without the disruptions normal life impose.

You know you suffer O-C-D if you:

Can't start a COF without:

Triple seating your magazine.

Taking more than 2 sight pictures.

Doing the COF Dance, more than once.

Checking that the cylinder won't spin backwards.