Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TrapShooting

Hawkster

Sunday was the 1st Trap shoot of the season here in Maine.  I did well in the 16 yard event then had some real trouble with that darn hadicap event. Double went well having shot them for the 1st time ever.

I have found my worst stand is good ole number 1 with the extreme left hand target.  It didn't matter what stance I tried or hold point I missed way to many.

Would any one have a suggestion on practing for that stand or any tips in general..

Hawkster

Maybe try some extended shooting on a Skeet field from stations 4, 5, and 6, shooting only birds from the low house.

When shooting from station 1 on a trap field, when waiting for the bird, set a soft gaze a few feet above the left side of the house. If you look too intently, or too close to the house, the bird may "beat your vision," and the resulting shot is usually hurried and erratic. When you see movement, look right at the target, and allow your gun to swing smoothly swing through the target - while maintaining a sharp visual focus on the target.

be

I think the key to station 1 and 5 in Trap is the shooter's setup. You need to insure that you have a full range of motion to the left on Station 1 and to the right on station 5.

What I mean is that I set up with my body positioned to break the most left bird from station one then I rotate back to the trap house. I then set up pointing at the left corner of the trap house when I call pull. If the bird goes to the right, I have an quick shot at a straightaway target, if I get a hard left my body ispoitioned so that I can break the target with plenty of swing to completely follow through.

My setup for Station 5 is the exact opposite.

I am looking foward to getting out and doing some practice. But the weather has has brought winter back. Snow is the forecast for night 3-6 inches.. Then it may go back to the 70's the next day.

Durring the shoot I chose to start on stand 5 which went better than expeted. Stand 1 I didn't break even.  I left my self 2,3 and 4 to make up the score. Hoping to get my bad stand done and over with.

Hawkster

• 4 weeks later...

Hawkster,

Your stance on the ends depends largely on your being right or left handed.  For right (left) handed persons on post one (five), try standing with your feet virtually even across (toes lined up across the post) and body turned slightly inward toward the house.  You should essentailly be close to the end of your range-of-motion for swinging to the right (left), since the furthest right target you could get is a straight-away.  This also leaves 95% of your range-of-motion open to swing to the left (right) for the angles.

Obviously, the other way around for the post five.  I like to stand with my feet almost parallel with the side of the post (my right foot well behind the left).  This leaves you shooting sort of across your body for straight-aways and lots of range-of-motion for the right angles.

As far as points of hold, BE outlined very well what many consider to be the best.  I do exactly as he says for a post one hold: Above the house on the left corner and my vision looking (softly - not starring but trying to see the first motion) under my barrel in the left corner of the house.  As far as post five hold, I actually hold off of the right corner of the house, not above the corner as on post one, and look back toward the house to see motion.  I am righted handed and have a harder time swinging away from my face/body and can catch up to the right angles a little better with my point of hold to the right of the house, about even with the top of the house.  

You might be more confortable shooting if you can practice on your own and setting the trap machine is a certain setting.  When practicing, I often lock the trap machine into a hard left (or right) angle and shoot 5 from each post.  Then lock the trap in center, shoot 5 from each post, then lock the trap in right (left) and shoot five from each post.  Then shoot a regular 25 round.  This will get you used to shooting 100 at a time as well.  You can determine YOUR favorite point-of-hold this way easily.

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

Wayne,

Thanx for the tips. I wish my club would let me use the machine to practice the darn hard lefts. Being a right hand shooter. I asked once, was going to buy my own targets but they are just being pig headed.

After a few shoot I have fixed some thing I was doing wrong. Moving the gun with the arms and not using my upper body to chase targets. Time and lots of practice are whats needed now.

Hawkster