Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions About The D-terminator 2

Hello-

I have never reloaded before, and I just threw down alot of cash on a new dillon setup (550 + accesories). I have a question on the D-terminator 2 scale which I also purchased as well.

When I weigh a bullet or powder load, there seems to be +/- 1-2 grains/grams fluctuation if I weigh the same item. Is this normal? Also, the weight I get is different if I am using the anti-static cover. Even if I place the cover on the scale, re-zero the scale and then add my bullet or powder load, the total weight I get is different from the weight of the same item if I did not have the static shield. I am talking about as much as 5-10 grains/grams difference here. When the cover is not on, there is absolutely no air movement in the room, the bench is level, and I am not breathing on it. The static cover is also aligned on the silver circle around the measuring pad and is not touching it in any way. What causes this and what should I do about it?

Please help since I do not wish to blow myself up with bad measurements....

Thanks alot

as far as the cover thing goes...

i had the same problem when i would use the cover, the weight would change alot. i called Dillon, they couldnt explain the difference and told me just to use it without the cover. i have been using it when i reload for about a year now with no problems...guess the cover is not that important... :huh:

i leave mine on for a good 1 or 2 hours before i start to take measurements. can't remember where i heard it but something about getting the electronics "warmed up". Once its warmed up, i go thru the calibration sequence. if it goes thru 3 cal sequences with no change in the readings, then i start my measuring.

as for the anti static cover, thats all i use it for, a cover. :ph34r:

The only time I've had issues is when I use it in very cold temps. I never use the shield either and have no issues.

If you're loading in a cold garage (like I do), take the scale inside, let it warm up and see if it doesn't help. If it doesn't, I'd call Dillon.

The info regarding letting the scale warm up is good advice. Solid state electronics are pretty tolerant of cold and hot temps, but the digital strain gauge used in those scales is very picky about temps.

The air and temp fluctuation issues is a big reason I advise people to buy a good magnetically damped balance beam scale. The magnetic damping feature makes using these kinds of scales very fast (compared to the non-damped versions) and the ones that have graduations for over/underage are just as quick as electronic scales as long as the under/overage is within .5 grains. Electronic scales are nice as upgrades to a good beam scale. Of course, reference weights are needed for both or you really have no idea of the accuracy of the scale.

It sounds like the metal connector plate in the wind screen is not making contact with the ground in the scale. try bending the metal tab down a bit , to ensure reliable contact. If the wind screen is not grounded, it holds a static charge which alters the weight reading of the scale. The only purpose for the wind screen is to prevent air movement from affecting the weight. :ph34r: