Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Try A Thigh Holster?

Genghis

A friend of mine who came out and shot his first match on Sunday asked me about this. My first reaction was that you'd have to crouch to reach the gun, which would slow you way down. My second reaction was that if they worked, someone would have won with one, and everyone would be using them.

He suggested that it might put the gun right by your hand, thus eliminating motion. If he's right, instead of "Up - Grab - Present," you'd just have "Grab - Present."

Anyone try this?

post-5927-1168637590.jpg

Why??

Triger and guard covered

wont break 180.

its inline with the hip

so why not legal.???

cuz book say so appendix f3 and 5.2.7.2

Probably 5.2.7.1 also. Unless it qualifies under the "Duty Rig" exemption, or is

being used in a multi-gun match.

This seems like a good time to point out, if you did not know, the USPSA Rule book is up for review. Members comments and suggestions on the proposed 2008 Rule Book are welcome on the USPSA forum. If you have a suggestion or comment, for example if you would like to revisit the tie down rule, Click Here. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I was shooting a (non-USPSA/IPSC) 2-gun match a year or so ago. Bunch of guys dressed up in their "tactical" gear, having fun. I watched a couple of guys attempting to draw from their thigh holsters, while running to the firing position.

Drawing from a belt-mounted holster while moving is much, much easier.

I was shooting a (non-USPSA/IPSC) 2-gun match a year or so ago. Bunch of guys dressed up in their "tactical" gear, having fun. I watched a couple of guys attempting to draw from their thigh holsters, while running to the firing position.

Drawing from a belt-mounted holster while moving is much, much easier.

Very true. One of the only reasons they exist is so that you can get to your handgun easier when you're wearing larger, SWAT style body armor. In that case the handgun is a backup to a long gun and a fast draw isn't really necessary. If you're running and drawing from a thigh holster, something has gone very, very wrong! ;-)

I used a Safariland 6004 with a Beretta M9 for years on Active Duty with the Army. As G-ManBart stated above, the pistol was a backup to my M4. In fact the most effective use of the pistol was non-combatant control...ever shine a pistol light in someone's face and politely ask them to do something...works pretty well! :D

When worn properly, the thigh rig is worn just low enough, to clear the bottom of your body armor, not down over the cargo pocket like you see so many doing on the evening news. Unfortunately, very, very few units in the military outside the SPECOPS world have any pistol training whatsoever, so you see people running around with what they think looks cool, not what is the most efficient. Most of the people I worked with eventually went to a chest mount on their body armor....riding in an open doored Hummer, with a thigh mounted pistol can lead to either one dirty weapon, or worse, turning around to go find the one that used to be in your holster!

Like everything else, with practice you can get very smooth (fast), releasing the retention strap and drawing the gun, even on the move, but other than the "cool guy" factor, I dont see any reason or advantage to using one.

I'm not ex-military and never have had to wear one in a combat situation, but have worn it at the local range. I'm medium-frame female, wore the thigh rig as high as it could be adjusted (Blackhawk Serpa) and the position of the gun's butt was perfect for the length of my arm. First day at the IDPA range, I was told it was 'illegal', switched to a hip holster and haven't worn the thigh rig since. At this point, I'm not sure if the draw-from-hip is faster due to some positioning advantage, or because that's the only way I've practiced for more than a year.

In OH, CCW laws require that the gun be transported in a vehicle 'in plain sight'. In a hip holster, the gun is crammed between the seat & seat belt. That actually satisfies the 'plain sight' requirement, but it's darned clumsy to draw from that position. In a thigh rig, it's definitely 'plain sight' (though I rarely have to go anywhere anymore that I'd need to have a weapon that accessible).

+1 on the prior comment re: shining a rail light in someone's eyes - with or without attached firearm - being very persuasive.

+1 to the above comments.

I have to wear one at work to hold my G22 which is a backup to my subgun. I hate it for several reasons. It's not that secure for one, it's a tad bit slower for me, and the gun's not always in the same place because the holster moves around when you do. CDRODA396 is right on with his comments as far as positioning and retention too. I've seen a couple go bye-bye without the user knowing it and it's funny to see the wannabees who wear it down by their knees. Look at me everyone, I'm an adult film star...."One-Slung-Lo". :ph34r:

+1 to the above comments.

I have to wear one at work to hold my G22 which is a backup to my subgun. I hate it for several reasons. It's not that secure for one, it's a tad bit slower for me, and the gun's not always in the same place because the holster moves around when you do. CDRODA396 is right on with his comments as far as positioning and retention too. I've seen a couple go bye-bye without the user knowing it and it's funny to see the wannabees who wear it down by their knees. Look at me everyone, I'm an adult film star...."One-Slung-Lo". :ph34r:

I lived just up the road from you in Waldorf until late 2005...can't say I miss the traffic;-)