Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5-Stand Clays

Hawkster

I have just started shooting 5-stand sporting clays.  Fun, fun I shot trap for a while now. I like the action changing targets.  

The wabbit and springing teal I can break 99% of the time.  That darn left to right crossing taget well he is safe with me shooting.

What you other shooters think about the game.

Hawkster

I shot sporting clays for the first time last week with a borrowed gun and I had sooo much fun, I'm hooked.  So I bought a SC appropiate barrel this week for the 3-gun 1100, and am trying to figure out which brand choke to get (any recommendations?, been looking at the Briley X-2?).

Hawkster, what is your SC shotgun set-up?

Bill  

I have two guns setup.. Thanx to the marvel of choke tubes.  

I have a Rem. 1100 sporting model I shoot only briley chokes in it.   Improved Cylinder or Skeet choked work well for me.

My other gun that I shoot. Is a Beretta 686 Whitewing. I had the safety change to manual.  Lately I have been using my trap set up in it. Light Full and Full, it will smash that clay to atoms.  

I also use AA 7 1/2 trap loads, Some Sporting clay loads. But I find that AA sporting clay 7 1/2's work great at 16yrd. in trap..

Hawkster

I have Carlson, Hastings and Briley's for tubes.  For me the price was a factor. The quality of Briley tubes seemed better.  

My research on using different loads and tubes will continue testing. The range is a mud field right now..

Hawkster

I dig 5-stand - shot at least a zillion rounds over the years practicing for the Team Challenge. We'd get to the range, hurry up and practice our compulsories - pistol and rifle - and then head to the shotgun range to shoot five-stand, Sporting, or FITASC until our shoulders couldn't take it anymore. Which, could be a really long time.

Best advice:

(from Steve Middleditch)

Look at the bird!

Double your lead!

(from Andy Duffy)

Miss in front (of the target).

That is good advice.  Have you ever shot the flury round? I have been hearing about it when I go.  We haven't set one up yet. Generally we get a few shooters, the trap guys next door want nothing to with it for some reason.  

I average normally 15-19, strictly fun for me. My plans are to goto a real walk through course this summer..

Hawkster

Chris,

How does the Lt. Mod. work for you? I haven't purchased one yet for my Beretta.  I have been using Skeet/Skeet . I don't feel they are tight enough for the 5-stand lay out I shoot..

Hawkster

Hawkster,

The LT Mod works pretty good, I think the pattern is only about 4 inches tighter at 20 yards, but alot denser.  At least thats what I can remember from the pattern board.  It vaporizes rabbit targets when you hit them though :)  It also makes that 50 yard shot a lot more doable.  Yes we have a 30-50 yard targets on our 5-stand.

The pattern board is a shotgunners best friend.  It will tell you alot about how/where your gun shoots with various chokes and loads.

I have been using my trap layout.  Lt. full/ full, just for fun the few times.  Long incoming and outgoing clays are toasted.

They just added a mini and battue clays to mix. I can't see the bloody things.

Hawkster

BTW - Larry's Sporting Goods (Nampa, ID) is a great store to work with - even via mail order.  Excellent service!!  I've bought a lot of shotgun stuff from them and have always been pleased with the price, service, and delivery.  

E

• 2 weeks later...

I love my X2's use either M and LMod or IM and F and 8's and finally Its all finally starting to come together.

I found sticking to the same chokes, same crackers and getting a Good book helped the Most

CLW,

Which book or books have you read?  I have read couplr by Jerry Meyer that gave a better unstanding of the game. I still have my trouble areas.

Hawkster

"Take your Best Shot" and "To the Target" by Daniel Schindler are the books i have,  no doubts there are others of equal benefit, It wasnt only the books but a rethink of practice methods, and goals etc.

Anyways i recommend them for what its worth.

Cheers Craig

I am shooting a lot of trap this summer, sporting clays will take a back seat.  

Thanks to the choke yube shotguns have become so versitle.  My Brother wants me to try skeet out.  I will see how things go..

Hawkster

• 3 months later...

Since I live in Houston, I shoot a bit with Bobby Fowler. his advice is this on all shots...clays is like putting, 99% of the putts which don't get to the hole will not go in; in clays 99% of all birds you don't give enough forward allowance, you will not break.

You did not tell us what kind of lead you used on the crossers; sustained, pass thru, or pull ahead.  Assuming 12 gauge and 8's, @ 1250fps,  and IC choke, a 90 degree crosser at 20 yards needs 3 to 4 feet .  Try a pair of quartering away dropping birds at 67 and 70 yards like the 97 British World shoot.  Watched John Kruger go 1 for 10 on that stage.