Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody Ever Work On A Norinco Pistol

texaschase

Here's some info on Norinco:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norinco

I'm not a chest thumpin' "buy American" type of guy, but I'd rather not buy from these folks.

There's gotta be another cheap 1911 that isn't made by the Chinese government. Heck, I'd even take something made by a civilian, non-government owned Chinese company over them.

But outside of that, assuming you have a 1911 design, all parts made for a single stack 1911 should work just fine. You could probably get detailed answers to specific questions by searching for the parts and/or custom work you're interested in.

I believe it is a 1911 style pistol. I'm sorry I don't have more info but I don't even have the pistol in my possession at this time. It sat around in my Dad's gun closet for a couple of years. I've gotten back into shooting and want to try practical shooting. Its the only thing I have that will work for IPSC style shooting at this time. Nonetheless, its being to shipped to me at this time. I'm eager to get it and see what I can do with it.

Thanks

We "slicked up" a Norinco a few years back for a gentleman that wanted an inexpensive CCW gun.

They may have improved since then, but the first thing we did was replace most of the internals. Salvaged the mag catch, mainspring housing, barrel, slide and frame. Used a bunch of quality used parts that were laying around and it worked out well. It shot well but the owner decided to upgrade a short time thereafter. Less than 1000 rounds through it when he let it go.

Bill

I did some work on a Norinco 1911 in 45 ACP for a friend and found the gun to be "serviceable" and really hard. Cutting the frame for the grip safety was a little tougher but it worked out OK. The factory parts aren't the greatest but the frame and slide were OK.

You can make them work fairly well like Bennie did but it may take a new barrel and ignition parts....

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW Bill Wilson used Norinco frames and slides for his custom guns 15 odd years ago.

Gunnar does great work. You can buy a Norinco 1911 for $325 Cdn or for $425 Cdn you buy from Gunnar and it's been checked over and adjusted as required for reliability.

Edited by RePete