Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Bigger Better

tightloop

Since we live in America and suffer from bigger is better syndrome, is it really beneficial to shoot 1 1/8th at 1400 fps or is it better to shoot the same load at 1150.  Since pattern density is optimum from patterns with the fewest deformed pettets, it would seem that the slower loading which has less pressure, less shot column set back, and fewer deformed pellets would be the one to shoot.  Is all we give up shooting slower ammo shorter forward allowance?

If this is true, why do most of the big time FITASC shooters carry the biggest, fastest stuff allowed by the rules for the 50+ yard shots?  FITASC allows 1 1/4 oz loads of 7.5's, just like they do in shooting hand thrown live pigeons.

Over the years of FITASC/Sporting/Five-Stand shooting, I found I preferred to vary the loads and chokes less and just get used to how to shoot the gun/load setup to break any target. The more I analyzed, the worse I shot. Big surprise. Nevertheless, I'd always have a few thumper rounds in my vest for the those long shots that I had absolutely no confidence in. :)

be

• 2 weeks later...

I used to think the same thing.  I was shooting my 1 1/8 #7 1/2 reloads at 1200 - 1250 fps for sporting clays.  I was putting up with the recoil for the faster speed to make up for the 'handicap' I never really had. (I'm usually in the 80's in sporting clays).  

Last match I shot in, I used 1 1/8 #8 at 1150 and never noticed the change in lead on the target.  The recoil was much softer and made it easier to see and break the second target on the true pairs.