Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Photo Thread

dirtypool40

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My newest Single Stack. I call it my " CaSTIan " ;)

David Cupp Custom in 40 S&W: Caspian Frame, STI flat top & serrated slide, Cylinder & Slide fire control with a SWEET 2.5# pull. Dawson Adjustable rear and F/O front sights, Dawson Ice Magwell, trimmed and blended ambi safeties, and Aluma Grips.

All set up to run with 10mm Tripp Cobra Mags and Dawson Precision "no gap" base pads.

Shoot my first match with it this Saturday.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

David Cupp Custom in 40 S&W: Caspian Frame, STI flat top & serrated slide, Cylinder & Slide fire control with a SWEET 2.5# pull. Dawson Adjustable rear and F/O front sights, Dawson Ice Magwell, trimmed and blended ambi safeties, and Aluma Grips.

All set up to run with 10mm Tripp Cobra Mags and Dawson Precision "no gap" base pads.

Paul,

I wanted to try that mag concept as well, but ran into a problem. Curious how you solved it.

a) I have Tripp *system* mags, these are the 10mm 10 round mags that he cuts down to fit the box, nice thing is they will still hold 10 rounds of 40 :)... but the basepads are the tripp ones that have the extension for a gapped magwell. So how did you solve this for a gapless one? I tried an aluminum basepad from Dawson, but found the other problem, they are for mags that the basepad provides the stop so you can't over insert them, but with the *system* mags, they are longer than the magwell, so you can still over insert them.... I suppose I could get some aluminum or plastic basepads from Tripp and take a little off the extension until they fit or stopped with the gapless magwell, but for now, I'm just running the S&A and the mags as is...

Let me know how you solved the gapless magwell to basepad issue with tripp mags...

Nice 1911, DC builds nice pistol :cheers:

Paul,

I wanted to try that mag concept as well, but ran into a problem. Curious how you solved it.

a) I have Tripp *system* mags, these are the 10mm 10 round mags that he cuts down to fit the box, nice thing is they will still hold 10 rounds of 40 :)... but the basepads are the tripp ones that have the extension for a gapped magwell. So how did you solve this for a gapless one? I tried an aluminum basepad from Dawson, but found the other problem, they are for mags that the basepad provides the stop so you can't over insert them, but with the *system* mags, they are longer than the magwell, so you can still over insert them.... I suppose I could get some aluminum or plastic basepads from Tripp and take a little off the extension until they fit or stopped with the gapless magwell, but for now, I'm just running the S&A and the mags as is...

Let me know how you solved the gapless magwell to basepad issue with tripp mags...

My single stack prior to this was an STI Trojan in 40 S&W set up by Virgil Tripp. That pistol had the Dawson Ice 'no gap' magwell installed on it as well. The person who I purchased it from had bought both 9 round and the 10 round Tripp "systems" mags. He had installed the aluminum Tripp extended base pads and then dremeled down the front of them at an angle to fit the IDPA box. I took those off and replaced them with the Dawson base pads for the no gap magwell. Note: The 10 round "systems mags" were never 100% reliable for feeding in my gun and I sold them.

I do not have any first hand experience with the Dawson Ice magwell that has the gap. Maybe some other members can pitch in.

The combo that works for me is the Tripp 9 round 10mm mags with the Dawson "no gap" magwell and base pads.

Hope that helps??

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my Stainless SV Infinity Single Stack in 40 S&W.

2.5 pound short/flat trigger

FLGR

Infinity AET bushing barrel

Aluminum mag well

Panel cut

Square, undercut, trigger guard

20 LPI serrations on front/rear of slide

40 LPI serrations on top of slide with radial flute

Edited to add it weighs 37 ounces.

Dillon002-1.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

awesome looking gun.

Hey, thats a nice 1911!

Looks like a keeper....

FLGR

Aluminum mag well

Panel cut

Dillon002-1.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

awesome looking gun.

Thanks :rolleyes: This has become my daily carry gun and I really like it. With Wilson 47 NX magazines, it eats my Speer duty ammo and my 1.21 reloads like a machine gun. I am very, very happy with the build.

• 1 month later...

FLGR

Aluminum mag well

Panel cut

Dillon002-1.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

awesome looking gun.

Thanks :rolleyes: This has become my daily carry gun and I really like it. With Wilson 47 NX magazines, it eats my Speer duty ammo and my 1.21 reloads like a machine gun. I am very, very happy with the build.

ah damnt, I really wish I hadnt seen that. 2 wilsons this year so far and now one of them will have to go so I can get one of these instead.

Collected parts for this over almost 20 years...

Caspian Frame was bought at the end of the single stack .38 super era..(I had it checkered & high relieved back then, not sure if Dan S or Jody Joseph did the work?)

Found the almost complete upper (labeled 1 of 500 made) in a CT gun store, can't remember..12 years ago

Added real Bomar rear & Dawson fiber front

Dan Sierpina Built it,the trigger is SO GOOD!

Jody Joseph, of JoJo's in CT refinished it with Dura, something..

Modern OLD SCHOOL colors!

One of a kind!

9MM Comanding Officers Model,Completly CUSTOM BUILT! on a Full size frame..........+

IS it not cool?

post-23648-058181300 1293400737_thumb.jp

post-23648-023887700 1293400757_thumb.jp

There are many 1911's. This one is mine.

____________________________________________________________________________________

“When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it." Adrian Rogers, 1931 - 2005

Edited by buckaroo45

Collected parts for this over almost 20 years...

Caspian Frame was bought at the end of the single stack .38 super era..(I had it checkered & high relieved back then, not sure if Dan S or Jody Joseph did the work?)

Found the almost complete upper (labeled 1 of 500 made) in a CT gun store, can't remember..12 years ago

Added real Bomar rear & Dawson fiber front

Dan Sierpina Built it,the trigger is SO GOOD!

Jody Joseph, of JoJo's in CT refinished it with Dura, something..

Modern OLD SCHOOL colors!

One of a kind!

9MM Comanding Officers Model,Completly CUSTOM BUILT! on a Full size frame..........+

IS it not cool?

John,

That thing is pretty now that the finish is done! The checkering looks like I may have done it way back when.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wanting a nice 1911 to use as a back up gun for CDP and SS and figured if I was gonna spend some money might as well buy something thatll still be nice in 30 years so I picked up the used Les Baer from a collector this week!!! Its a few years old but with only 2,000 rounds through it is just gettin started.

Probably gonna keep it simple with a Dawson front sight and S&A Magwell...but who knows maybe I'll throw a big ole funnel on the bottom.

I know I would have been better off with a cheaper SA loaded and some more bullets but what can yah do!

PII_RS.jpg

Should keep my Trojan in good company.

IMG_0190.jpg

What mag pouches are these with the trojan?

Here is my Wilson SS classic in chrome. She is a work horse too.

That's a beautiful gun. Please post a picture of the top of the slide. I want to see how the polished hard chrome sides blend to the top.

Here are a couple:

2f3NN.jpg

u3wLI.jpg

Is that what you were looking for?

Thanks for the kind words!

Picked a Caspian slide off of the prize table at the Area 2's this year so naturally I was obligated to build a centennial 1911. B)

Had my guy do the forward cocking serrations, flat and serrate & the french cut. I did the rest. I have only test fired it, 16 rounds worth but I know it will be a superior performer. I am not sure of the finish I want so I just blued it but I'm thinking TiAlN or some other PVD coating. I am also thinking about squaring the trigger guard.

The engraving on the slide is the Area 2 logo dude!

right.jpg

Les Baer 30LPI frame

Les Baer grip safety

Caspian Slide

Briley Barrel and Bushing

Briley aluminum guide rod

Kensight Bomar copy

Dawson Trijicon front sight

Aftec Extractor

Ed Brown Ambi's

Ed Brown Ejector

Ed Brown Slide stop