Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting My Tahoe Back Down To Earth...

So I bought my 1999 Tahoe with a 4" lift and 33" tires on it. The part that I don't know about is getting it back down to stock or lower. It's a LT and in looking it didn't appear that any of the brackets for suspension mounting on it were altered from stock.

Not knowing much about this stuff, I'm guessing it's just a 4" Pro-Comp style lift where it's a 2" taller setup and then they crank the torsion bars up for the last 2". Don't know how they did it in the rear.

My question is, do y'all think it's just a matter of swapping out to stock parts?

The reason for getting it down and putting a different wheel and tire combo is simply gas mileage. The off-road tires and lift, I know are hurtin' my mileage. I love the truck, but the gas consumption hurts and don't want/need a new ride for a while.

Any suggestions.

Rich

Find someone that wants the lift, let them pay the labor to swap it between your tahoe and their ride. Just labor costs would be a lot cheaper for them, and you get yours back to stock. That same lift should work on any half ton chevy or gmc over a large span of model years.

You could go to a narrower tire in an all terrain tread and get most of the mileage back, especially if most of your driving is on the highway. Narrow tires have a lot of sidewall flex but it isn't like a tahoe is a sports car anyway.

So I bought my 1999 Tahoe with a 4" lift and 33" tires on it. The part that I don't know about is getting it back down to stock or lower. It's a LT and in looking it didn't appear that any of the brackets for suspension mounting on it were altered from stock.

Not knowing much about this stuff, I'm guessing it's just a 4" Pro-Comp style lift where it's a 2" taller setup and then they crank the torsion bars up for the last 2". Don't know how they did it in the rear.

My question is, do y'all think it's just a matter of swapping out to stock parts?

The reason for getting it down and putting a different wheel and tire combo is simply gas mileage. The off-road tires and lift, I know are hurtin' my mileage. I love the truck, but the gas consumption hurts and don't want/need a new ride for a while.

Any suggestions.

Rich

Rich,

I don't think the lift will affect the mileage. You can change the tires to a less aggressive tread and maybe do a little better.

In the long run its not worth it to spend all that money to put it back to stock.

Not to mention that if you put it back to stock then it'll just be another Tahoe.

See ya,

Gary

Yeah. I switched a long time ago from the BFG Mud Terrain's to the All-Terrain's and that helped as well as increased life span and reduced noise.

The intent for lowering it down to stock (or more) would be to just have it be a "driver". Cheesy as it is, I'd go for bigger wheels and a lower profile tire combo. It might just mean I need to buy a second vehicle, 'cause I miss driving a car every once in a while.

Rich

<_< trade it off to someone that want it like it is

Yes,

Time to get rid of it.

Especially if it has over 100K miles on the odometer.

My '96 Tahoe was $500+ per month in repairs after that milestone.

Chevy's are my favorite domestic and I don't like to buy new but I think it is mandatory with a Chevy; trade them early to keep them in warranty.

And keep them stock! :lol:

FM

"Slamming" or lowering any type of SUV or truck calls for immediate dismissal from the 16" AR club.

This is straight out of the 3-gun bible. :ph34r:

Not to mention that chicks dig lifted rigs!

Mike

Again, if you need anything while in "fill in the blank" istan, write or call me and it will be there..

Will be costly to have the lift removed, either sell the take off parts before you have them removed, or swap with someone if you want... trade for a vehicle you can be pretty even on. Or your truck holds more value of equal cars, like a Grand Marquis, caddilac, or lincoln.. you might be able to trade even and get a better car depending on your location and what sells at that dealer.

can you lower it 2" if they just screwed out the tortion bars. sounds like you could go atleast a little lower.

Good luck!

Steve basically put the words into my mouth as to the plan. I'm looking at a Cadillac CTS or a Chevy Colorado. I miss driving a (smaller) vehicle a lot and like I said unfortunately love my ride.

So, I've resolved to trade it in or just keep it and pick up a second vehicle (more likely).

Besides...Pinto is threatening me with being booted from the Carbine Cousin Club so, we can't have that happen now can we. :D

Rich

Just a thought....

Was your speedometer re-calibrated for the larger tires?

If not... you might actually be getting better gas mileage than you think, because the odometer is reading falsely low (because of the larger circumference)

Bruce,

It's pretty well right on. Probably no more than 5 mph off. But I am planning on having it re-calibrated when I get home. The good news is that I can order a Colorado or a CTS through AAFES here and it'll be waiting for me at Bragg when I get back. Sweeeeeet....

Rich