Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting At Near Freezing Temp

grandbagger

This is why I don't shoot when it's cold. If you can't feel the trigger then it's not safe, period.

Also, your whole body is cold, if you start moving around it's very easy to pull a muscle or strain something that will end your enjoyment real quick. The ground is also most likely frozen and slippery, nothing livens up your day like slipping and falling over with a loaded gun in your hand.

Shooting in freezing conditions, is in my humble opinion, dumb and pointless :D

Edited by BritinUSA

What part of California? It shouldn't be that bad, but understand that sometimes it can be a little harsh. Bottom line, if you're not comfortable in the weather, don't waste time on the range. Spend the day loading ammo, dry firing, cleaning/prepping/tweaking gear etc.

Rich

Up here in NH and VT we have to shoot in the cold or we don't shoot for 6 months of the year. Thermal underwear, boots, coats, gloves, hand and feet warmers, whatever it takes. Keep warm between your stages and I take the gloves off when I am shooting as I like to be able to have skin on trigger.

At my club, Green Mt. Practical Shooters, we have a match in February and March in the snow and cold........nothing stops the matches. Our match directors just have to be smart in setting up the stages so the shooters are not put in a dangerous position. It all works if you understand, and prepare for, the conditions you are shooting in.

Edited by nhglyn

Up here in NH and VT we have to shoot in the cold or we don't shoot for 6 months of the year. Thermal underwear, boots, coats, gloves, hand and feet warmers, whatever it takes. Keep warm between your stages and I take the gloves off when I am shooting as I like to be able to have skin on trigger.

At my club, Green Mt. Practical Shooters, we have a match in February and March in the snow and cold........nothing stops the matches. Our match directors just have to be smart in setting up the stages so the shooters are not put in a dangerous position. It all works if you understand, and prepare for, the conditions you are shooting in.

+1 Same here in Maine..

Only freezing rain stops matches here.

Get some of the hand pocket warmers (chemical activated) to keep the trigger hand warm between stages.

+1 Same here in Maine..

Only freezing rain stops matches here.

Get some of the hand pocket warmers (chemical activated) to keep the trigger hand warm between stages.

+100

We shoot all year long here in WI. We had to plow 15" of snow off the range for our Dec match but we still shoot. We try to keep movement to a minimum when the range is bad, other than that it is business as usual. To keep warm, dress in layers, I would wear a heavy jacket on the outside that you could remove easily for when you are shooting the stage. After you are done shooting, put jacket back on and help with brassing and taping to keep moving and keep warm :)

Tom

we've got a classifier match this saturday and the forecast is for a high of 35 and a low of 20. I'm planning on making the trip as long as the roads are safe (which they should be.)

Edited by al503

5 degrees here in N. Idaho. I shoot in it, because Dry fire drills can make one go insane, like in the shining kind of crazy.

I use left and right handed golf gloves and those packet handwarmers mentioned. NO EXCUSES :lol:

We need to take a trip to Ky Pharaoh Bender.

Im not afraid of the cold.

Freakin' a Robert! I went to college in them parts, and can get us there quickly. I'll rustle up the fellahs on a weekend that I have off and we'll go shoot!

I wish we shot all winter long!

Get your emails warmed up and let Anderson know you want to shoot on the first Saturday of Feb. (I think the C-ville Range is tentatively reserved)

Robert, Chris, Bill, let's but the hell out of Sprokkets and get a match going.

Layers of clothing to include something to keep body core, feet, and most importantly hands warm. Gloves and warm pockets are essential. I've seen guns go flying in the air when hands got too cold or too icy; not pretty. A hat is appropriate.

Snow isn't that rough to deal with. We've even bladed snow off ranges and range roads with the club tractor to shoot a match. A sunny day with snow on the ground is okay to shoot in. The freezing rain/ice that we are predicted to get over the weekend (during the match) may cause the first cancellation in several years. If you can't stand up on the range, much less get the car to the range without driving in the ditch it's time to stay home and reload.

Shooting in the cold is tough but I think everybody should be able to do it. I realize that one day I might very well have to shoot for keeps when my fingers are numb so I had better be able to deal with it. I find that revolvers are very tough to shoot well under these conditions and the autos with the lighter trigger pulls are easier. Slapping the trigger really makes a difference in the cold.

Dave Sinko

It has been really cold in northern CA this week and we tend to freak out whenever we have any Real weather out here ;-)

I have shot in weather as cold as 20-22 degrees and found it no problem as long as it's dry. When it get's wet is when it get's tough to stay warm. A dry cold is no biggie IMO and I'm a CA boy also.

Get some hand warmers and some decent cold weather gear and get on with it man!

we've got a classifier match this saturday

like you are going to shoot anywhere near your ability frozen ;) bad time for a classifier!

hand warmers. don't let your hands get cold to begin with helps a lot. so putting them on in the car or clubhouse. (gloves with handwarmers inside.. or against he wrist to warm blood... keep your fingers moving drum them on your leg or whatever don't let them stay still, or get too cold. use weak hand any time you have to paste, if you can't paste with gloves on get one of those target taper things.....

my solution, if it's that cold.. don't shoot. Coffee and hot chocolate help too :)

we've got a classifier match this saturday

like you are going to shoot anywhere near your ability frozen ;) bad time for a classifier!

I don't think there is a club here in Minnesota that will run a classifier during winter matches for that very reason.

Freezing temps are nothing. It's when it gets below zero that it gets interesting.

Layers. Handwarmers. Footwarmers. I even found my timer stays alive if I give it it's own handwarmer. The belt clip is perfect for holding a handwarmer.

I shot last weekend and the temperature was around 38 degrees. My pistol was acting very sluggish and wouldn't completely chamber a round, so I had to put in a heavier recoil spring and add what I consider a lot of oil on the slide. Is this typical? Also, a few of us noticed that the dots in our C-mores were very dim, we put in new batteries and it didn't make a difference. They stayed dim until we warmed them up. Do you bag your guns with its own handwarmer between stages?