Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extraction/firing Problem

Richie

Went to range today and used WWB for the first time in this model 66. I've always shot remington out of it (maybe 100 rounds etc...) Anyways, I used some WWB and I had one cylinder that it wouldn't fire consistently, then also noticed that the same round was under the extractor quite a few times. I've never experienced this before at all, and just wondering if anyone has any suggesstions? I appreciate it! BTW... I'll have pics up soon of my work i'm doing on my first action job. Every other chamber fires perfectly, except the one chamber, and it wouldn't fire/would slip under extractor maybe 1 out of every 3 cylinders I loaded.

Do you have the factory wood grips? They do cause a problem, as do pach's unless modified. The case bounces off the grip and jumps back in under the extractor.

When ejecting, make sure the gun is almost muzzle up.

This is with 38Sp in a mag frame.

Yes, 38spl in Mag frame. Hogue Monogrip. I was ejecting them easy, and the star went right over the case. Like I said this has never happened with the Remington brass, just first time using Winchester. The extractor doesn't appear to be worn out etc... just wasn't sure, as I bought quite a bit of the Winchester WWB boxes to start my collection of brass to start reloading.

Richie, I would try NOT to do it easy. Hit it hard and let em fly. RePete is probably right about the round hittting the grips and then the star pulling the round back into the cylinder. What style of reloading do you do? Strong hand stays on the gun or switch ala Jerry?

Strong hand on gun. I'm extremely new to this revolver thing, and shooting in general still :) So, just trying to learn. I guess maybe it's just the Winchester brass heads maybe a bit different and this gun works better with Remington (R-P) headstamp brass? Thanks everyone for the replies so far!

Did you chamfer the cylinder?

That was going to be my question also. Hopefully you didnt take to much off the extractor.

It is probably the grip though.

When you say it is the same chamber, is it actually the same exact chamber or is it always the one in the same postion facing down and hitting the grip when you extract?

The inconsistent ignition may be that you lightened up the mainspring tension a little too much.

What Bubber said. Muzzle as close to vertical as you can get away with, then whack the extractor rod with your palm. If they don't extract cleanly with Hogue grips when you do it this way, you've got a gun problem...probably the extractor star.

There hasn't been any chamfering of the cylinders at all its all factory. I appreciate all the comments!! I'm going back to the range tomorrow night so we will see how it goes! i'm going to try both Remington and Winchester ammo and see how it all goes! I'll post back an update! btw... Northern Xtreme, still wish I could pick up that 686 you have!! That is a great piece!!!