Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sub Guage Inserts

Hawkster

I was surfing the net and found a sub gauge insert. A minin chamber that can convert the 12ga. to fire other guages. Now what I don't understand is that it does not run the lenght of the barrel like the Briley tubes do.

Seminole Gunworks offers them, they show a great pattern. It seems just wrong. Would there be any barrel damage?

Hawkster

Hawkster,

I know Seminole is a quality company because I've used their products. But I've never heard of such a contraption. ??

I have a set of .410 Briley tubes in a 26" Win 101, which I dearly love. Not that that has anything to do with your question.

:)

Benos,

Oh yeah, .410, 28ga., 20ga.  I have read their data  but it seems just wrong. Wrong caliber in the barrel.

http://www.seminolegun.com/index.html  

Theres the website for anyone to see what I mean.   I may buy a set to mess with. Somebody must use one of these gizmo's.

Hawkster

I know on their site that it shouldn't work in theory. Nevertheless, the word "choke" in shotgun terminology means constriction or restriction, which would be the diameter of the barrel just in front of the cartridge minus the diameter at the muzzle. For example, imagine a .410 insert in a 12 ga. As soon as the shot leaves the cartridge, it will expand to fit the throat diameter of the barrel. Then, as it travels down the barrel it will encounter the same "restriction" as would the original caliber (12 ga.). So, why wouldn't it work?

be

There is a lot of interest on the Shotgun pages about the inserts. So far, the press and feedback has been positive. They are lighter than tradional tube sets and you can use your 12 gauge chokes. I have not seen or fired any, though. Check on www.shotgunsports.com

I found an cheaper set, at Cabelas.. all four gauges about $110. Not a grand as what Seminloe Gunworks offers.  I may just get a pair and see for my self.  Maybe 20 gauge something to play with at 5-Stand..

Hawkster

My friend has all 4 of the inserts.  He says the 20 ga. insert shoots just like the 12, no noticible difference in patterns.  The .410 shoots high he says, so he has to hold under the target.  Also the .410 doesn't want to cycle the inertia triggers in the Browning 425.

• 3 weeks later...

(dumb question mode on)

Why would you want to shoot a 20ga or smaller in a 12ga gun?

The reason for using 12ga is to get more BB's even though the gun is heavier. Right?

So if you why shoot 20ga, for lighter recoil? Why not just use a lighter load?

(dumb question mode off)

I think it saves money in 2 ways.

1st You can shoot Skeet or Sporting Clays with the same gun keeping costs down for ammo.

2nd It keeps me from spending another 2 or 3 grand on another shotgun.

Hawkster

The reason shotgun competitors use tube sets in a 12 gauge over/under is so that they can shoot multiple gauges in Skeet (12/20/28/.410) or Sub gauge tournaments in Sporting Clays.

At a big Sporting Clays shoot, there are usually side matches in 20/28/.410.

It is usually cheaper to buy tube sets in multiple gauges rather than four different shotguns. Plus, there is an advantage is only shooting one gun as far as fit, familiarity, etc.

Note however that the tube sets, even though they are very light, add weight to the over/under which helps reduce recoil (which is minimal in 28 and .410) but makes the shotgun swing differently.

I shoot a Browning 325 32" 12 gauge and I have Briley tube set in 28 gauge. As you would expect, no recoil in that combo with tube set inserted.

• 3 months later...

Briley offers two kinds or inserts, the original Little Skeeters, were about 8" long and had problems when yuo ejected the empties.  the new ones are about 14" long and have less of a problem with ejection.  Seminole is about the same as the longer Briley inserts.   All inserts have some soot blowback and dirt build up, but either the longer Briley inserts or the Seminole will do a good job for you.  I have some of the Briley longer ones; 410 inserts for my 682 Beretta.  It will reveal how badly you anticipate the shot going of with a 12 ga.  can you say flinch.