Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding Dies And Fast Powder Minor?

lrjet

Have full Redding Competition Pro Titanium Die sets for 9mm and 40 S&W. Regarding setbacks using fast powder such as n310 and Clays. Know of Lee undersize and FCD. Do I need the Lee dies--I feel Redding's are about as good as they get. I have cycled a loaded round about 10x and measured the length with no change and shot N320 no problems--course slower powder. Wonder if anyone knows the sizing dimensions of Lee and Redding on cases and your input. Thx

No, you don't need the Lee dies and absolutely positively don't need the FCD if you set your Redding dies up properly.

If you use mixed brass the U-die is a good insurance policy, I haven't found a piece of 9mm or 40 brass yet that will let the bullet slip when using the U-die.

No, you don't need the Lee dies and absolutely positively don't need the FCD if you set your Redding dies up properly.

If you use mixed brass the U-die is a good insurance policy, I haven't found a piece of 9mm or 40 brass yet that will let the bullet slip when using the U-die.

Thanks HSMITH if you have the U die in 9mm and a good toolmakers caliper would you measure the ID of the case after sizing or better yet a ball guage and micrometer. Just curious.

With most brass it will be .353" at the case mouth, the case a little lower is also tighter so the heel of the bullet will actually make a coke bottle shape on the brass. Bullets just won't slip. I also found lower SD's, I attribute it to more bullet pull on firing. The Redding Competition Seating die is almost mandatory, especially if you are switching bullets. The tight case makes seating a bullet a good bit harder with standard dies, the Redding CSD breezes right through it.

Agree 100%. W/ the "U" die, make sure you use case spray from Hornady (OneSHot) - just like in Brian Enos' video. Takes 2 seconds to spray 250 cases.